iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. err404

err404 Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Personally I prefer to have a single free game with IAP over having separate free and full versions in the App store. They offer a respectable amount of content for free and the one time unlocks are resonable. It gives you a fun experience for free and an incentive to pay a few dollars to the dev if you really like it.
    I seen far worse "nickel and dime" content from other freemium apps.

This game really makes me want an iCade treatment for DariusBurst.

2. Rojoyinc

Rojoyinc Active Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Looked up darius as i could blutrol it... But i've been burned on to many pricey games i ended up deleting. Soul calibur ended up being worth it, but the price seems too high for a no brainer cave shooter. Needs to be 4.99 at best. When i got my ipad top games were 4.99 great ones were only 1.99. These recent rates are ridiculous... If we don't pay it they'll come down.

3. LcSonicRacing

LcSonicRacing New Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Bought a game didnt work

I bought da air attack game so i can play it on da icade & it dont work.. Does n e one kno y? I thought i would play da icade alot but it just sits der.. Does n e 1 if street fighter2 is compatible.. I need help :confused:

4. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    Air Attack Hd

For the game to work with the Icade, you have to select Bluetooth / joypad in the controls options.
    To play street fighter 2 on the icade you will need Imame. This may mean you will have to jailbreak your device as the Imame app got pulled from the app store because of it being an unofficial emulator and install having to install ROMs onto your device.

5. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    I'm sorry that you experienced it this way. I would like to clarify though, that you are not 'trapped' to make a purchase. The game is free to play forever if you are happy with the initial ship and don't want to participate on the online Leaderboards. We do show a popup asking if you want to purchase the leaderboards, because we want to make very clear that no high scores are submitted otherwise!

@err404: Nice, that's actually how I feel about it as well. These type of freemium models are the future for small indie studios like us. We simply can't ask $4 from the get-go because people generally don't want to pay to unknown developers.

@Thescore_59, @kevlar x: Glad you like it!

6. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #1006 sapphire_neo, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Just popping in to say that Phoenix HD is easily one of the best iOS shmups, and definitely the most beautiful one :)

The freemium model lets new users try the app before plopping down the $0.99 for access to leaderboards (very unique region-based leaderboard btw) and more ships which add a huge chunk of replay value to the game.

Check the leaderboards out here.
    www.firigames.com/phoenix/leaderboards

The game also features location based high-score achievements, like top in the city/state/country.

7. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The iCade 8-bitty looks promising (http://toucharcade.com/2012/02/13/thinkgeek-announces-the-icade-8-bitty/). It looks, though, like it will have button mapping issues just like the iControlPad, due to the button layout (start and select buttons will probably end up as game buttons in some games). Also the square layout of buttons, instead of diamond, is a bit unusual for a game pad. Hopefully it doesn't feel weird. The price sure is right.

8. lumothesinner

lumothesinner Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    UK
    Wow - sure is cheap. Can't see anyone with an iphone/itouch wanting one when its yet another controller that needs the device stood up, and iphone/itouch is too small for that. Only icontrolpad and gametel with clamps for phones so they are still handheld make sense, but maybe those with an ipad and no love for the tabletop icade could be interested.

9. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
  10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes, that's me. I don't like sitting in a chair to play too much, so my iCade largely goes unused unfortunately. I like the iControlPad with iPad sitting on the arm of my sofa. Comfy. :) But the iControlPad only works with certain games due to button mapping issues.

11. Robin/P1XL

Robin/P1XL Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Programmer
    Thunder Bay, Canada
  12. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I think it might be best if we moved this list to some sort of Wiki! That way anyone could edit it instead of relying on unreliable ol' me to update it! Speaking of which, I'll make sure the list is up to date today, I know there are a few things missing...

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
  14. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#1014 Spamcan, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Considering three of the five iCade models (iCade Jr, iCade Mobile, 8-bitty) are going to share a similar layout I'm certain most developers will change their button layouts accordingly. The price is unbeatable but they should have turned the buttons 45 degrees and the shoulder buttons look cramped. Old school NES controllers may be nostalgic but they're also extremely unergonomic. I love the idea but right now I'm thinking back to every NES controller I've ever used with a second row of turbo buttons and that horrible mad catz retro controller for the PS2 and cringing. I don't even use the original NES controller with my NES, I use the dogbone style they released with the top-loader in '93.

However if I didn't already own the iControlPad none of those complaints would stop me from picking one up for $25.

15. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada

Broken link... sorry this one should work better : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bFtqV5Q7qs

16. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I just realized that ALL iCade versions have 8 buttons. The iCade Jr. has 4 “triggers” of some sort on the back of the cabinet. (Kind of makes sense, since it’s so tiny you’d have to hold it still with your hands.)

In that case, I think they should do away with the diamond-arranged buttons on the Jr. and Mobile versions, since the 8-Bitty’s square arrangement is more compatible with the big iCade versions, iCade and Core. (Otherwise I like the iControlPad-style diamond layout—but it’s just not going to play the same as the big iCades.) Then all models could have somewhat comparable control layouts:

4 black buttons on iCade and iCade Core...
    ... = 4 rear buttons on Jr. and Mobile
    ... = 2 shoulder buttons + 2 small buttons on 8-Bitty

2 red left buttons on iCade and iCade Core...
    ... = 2 leftmost round buttons on Jr., Mobile and 8-Bitty

2 white right buttons on iCade and iCade Core...
    ... = 2 rightmost round buttons on Jr., Mobile and 8-Bitty

I hope that’s how they map the keys! (It sort of works even with the diamond layout; North and West buttons could = the red button son the big iCades.)

17. SKELETOR68

SKELETOR68 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    DND, Canadian Forces Soldier, Arty
    CFB Wainwright, Alberta Canada
    Space Invaders

Just picked up Space Invades, I know it does not support iCade, but it has great arcade artwork around the game, like the one I keep seeing for Astoriods with the icade picture but never got. oh ya and Forget me not is very well done and perfect with iCade.

18. Rojoyinc

Rojoyinc Active Member

Dec 30, 2011
    #1018 Rojoyinc, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    It does look good... Pricy? Worth it? What are the controls can icade work with blutrol? I'd get it for sure then
    You're referring to infinity gene right?

19. SKELETOR68

SKELETOR68 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    DND, Canadian Forces Soldier, Arty
    CFB Wainwright, Alberta Canada
    iCade test on Space Invaders HD

Nope nothing, iCade is a no-go but I really wanted to at lease try it myself, But for that, I got the game for the Arcade Skins or Cabnit look to it, I will not buy the invadercade or what ever it is called, still happy with it myself, ( iCade would be so sweet).

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I wil try da game out and let u no. Da game shud work, y are wee talkin da like this?

(Street Fighter isnt compatible by the way)