iPhone Quarriors! - (by Icarus Studios, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Appletini, Nov 28, 2013.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    The help does not say nor the tutorial. What does culling do? Which die should I choose during culling? TIA.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It's that classic mechanic in most of these build-a-deck games where you can trash some of your dice so as to make your dice bag a more efficient "deck" of dice. If not using the advanced culling rule where the only way to score is by culling units that have survived a round, the typical targets of culling in basic rules would be those mana and assistant die that your deck started with (i.e. those dice that are not nearly as useful as the later beasties and spells you've more recently acquired).

3. bungho

bungho Member

Sep 4, 2012
    I disagree with the excessive randomness comment. I think you played one game and got a bad streak of dice rolls. I don't find there is any more randomness than any other board game. You control the pool of dice, but can't pick which dice you roll or how they come up, but you choose what to play & what to buy. There are decisions to make on every turn and you always have something to do. Unlike Catan, which I am enjoying, if the rolls don't go your way you often have absolutely nothing to do on your turn. Like every other game with dice, the strategy is stacking the deck in your favour. But I'm sure you already know that. I'm very much enjoying this, especially with the expansion, expert culling, & hard AI.

4. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I own the physical version of Quarriors! and all the expansions and promos. The simple fact is, there IS a lot of randomness. This shouldn’t really be a surprise as the game is about collecting and rolling dice. However, what makes Quarriors! an enjoyable game is that players are given numerous ways to control the dice, at least to a degree. There are mechanics to roll more dice, thus improving your odds of rolling something good, there are ways to reroll, adjust the sides of rolls, influence the overall dice pool, directly choose dice sides, and more. What you buy and what you keep often determine how your pool plays against someone else’s.

However, I will say that the base game of Quarriors! had some issues with a lack of spells that offered this degree of control, as well as an issue with some of the balance between offensive and defensive creatures. Quarmageddon was a good start, with a better range of attack-based creatures and spells that allow better draws and culling. Each expansion afterwards added a good deal more, with Quartifacts probably being the best for spells that allow direct interaction with specific players, and even a spell that lets you go through your bag, pick a die, and play it on whatever side you choose.

Still, it is a dice-heavy game. Regardless of what has been added and what will be added, it likely will never appeal to those who prefer to pre-plan their turns, rather than to react on their turns.

5. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm playing a local game against three AI opponents, and one of them seems to be stuck trying to figure out what dice to capture. Do I just abandon that game? I've tried exiting to the menu, and even unloading the app and reloading it then resuming, and it still seems to be stuck. Should I just wait? Or is this a bug that has happened to anyone else?

6. Kirenx

Kirenx Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yup, just happened to me too. Usually if I wait or pause/unpause the game things resume, but this last one seems perpetual.

7. Bowflexman

Bowflexman Well-Known Member

May 9, 2011
    Anyone know if this will ever be universal? Loving it on my ipad but I would like to have it on my phone as well since it is always with me.

8. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I guess I have culling wrong for a long, long time... :rolleyes: Thanks!

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ...+1

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    There doesn't appear to be any plans to make this universal. Although I totally agree that there is no good reason for it not to be, since deckbuilders like Ascension and Penny Arcade fit on the phone just fine.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Sorry guys for the necro bump.
    I had this game sitting on my iPad for months, but I finally got the hang of it (watching some YouTube videos) and I must say I'm totally addicted, expecially with the enhanced rules (expert culling and up to 2 cards pick), which make the game much less prone to randomness and add a very cool strategic layer.
    It's a cool mix between Ascension and a dice game, and I'm totally in love.

If people is still playing this, please add me on GC (Pitta).

Besides some things (no universal, no custom notification sound, no 'next active game' button, no in game notifications for GC turns) the app is very well done.
    One thing I would like is more interaction between cards and maybe longer games, sometimes the game ends when I just started to build a succeful strategy.
    AI could be better too....it's very rare I lose against 3 hard AI opponents, but still is very fun.

Is the expansion worth it? I can't find the cards it adds, I just see some praises but I would like to know what changes about the game, if anything.
    (The two expert rules change the game A LOT, for example...I would never go back).

12. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    The main addition of the expansion was originally the expert rules, so that's already covered in the app. However it adds some very cool creatures. If you like the game half as much as you look like you do, I would not hesitate one second to purchase it. You can find a list of the cards there : https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93476/text-creatures-and-spells. There's probably something better around, but that's what I found first :)

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Thanks, I missed that page apparently!
    Cards look cool, I'm not expert enough to understand If they add some more interactions in the gameplay tough.
    I'll probably get the expansion anyway, thanks!

14. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    BTW...I hope I'm not the only one but I would really LOVE if they ported D&D Dicemasters on iOS with async.

That could be GLORIOUS.

15. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hopefully so, as more vareity is always nice. More to the point, if you plan on using Advanced Culling, it is only via a few of the new Quarrior abilities that you can burn basic white mana dice.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Bought it and liking it a lot....so hopefully we can use it in our next games ;)
    I always use the extended rules, which are imho pretty critical....I could never go back.
    Both add so much to the strategy layer of the game....without them I didn't really appreciate the game (too random) but I'm glad I stuck with it for a while because I'm totally in love.

I'll probably buy the physical D&D Dicemasters version...and being more a 'solo' type of guy (no other people to play with atm) I'm strongly considering to get the LOTR one which is fully coop with last rules revision...is here anyone that have it? Is solo viable?

Goes without saying I would love a digital version of both.

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    LordGek, immensely enjoying our games and Quarrios in general (both mp and sp, I wish AI was a bit stronger sometimes tough).
    Actually, I'm in total love with the rule system...it's brilliant and being more a dice are better than cards type of guy, it's rapidly becoming my fav game. I'm amazed I missed it for such a long time.

Is there any reason why you used just the advanced capture and not the new 'culling' rule (which I find awesome too)?
    Generally I play with both new rules active, so I'm wondering why you choose just one.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Doh, I thought you invited me on that game. I agree advanced culling is better but have been known to go old school once in a while for variety.

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    LOL...If it was me....it was a mistake :)
    Great game anyway....Sunday I'll be at a con and I hope to find the LOTR dice building game.
    Can't believe I missed the dicemaster games for so long, despite I'm a dice lover.

20. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    #220 mekanikal fiend, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    if you want dicemaster stuff. coolstuffinc (website) is running a huge sale. it for tabletop day, and its a pack of 90 boosters for $45. they got the two sets out of the four availible. Uncanny Xmen and the newest set, D&D
    getting one of the booster boxes is 180 cards and the matching dice. youll get about 90% of the set with one box.

edit didn't realize you're from Italy. the shipping would probably be crazy..