Prevail - Open universe game - by Johnny Two Shoes - DEV BLOG (Plunderland creators)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by joshsslade, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I get the feeling that Prevail is the kind of game project that just keeps growing at an accelerated pace (Johnny Two Shoes' Twitter lends some credence to this theory ;) : "Creating content systems so we can make almost anything happen in Prevail - sure is a lot of work. BUT DAMN ITS COOL"), and thus JTS decided to just take their sweet time and let the game swell out of but also into epic proportions. Eventually, they'll have to submit to gravity and touch down, but for now, they soar far beyond their initial ambitions.

If this is the case, I would't complain if they spent another half a year injecting epic into awesome. Thus, every wednesday/thursday night Prevail is not released, my expectations just grow ;)

2. joshsslade

joshsslade Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    @Ayjona You are very insightful, thanks for the kind words!

There are some new sketches, pictures and info at over at tumblr.johnnytwoshoes.com

3. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    really hoping for this game. this game should get more publicity

4. beelzebubble

beelzebubble Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I'd love some sort of heads up. I really want to follow this game as I think it's going to be something special but the lack of updates makes it hard for me. I don't follow on twitter, basically only here, maybe that is the problem.

5. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    hoping that the game will be finished after my final exams

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    +1 This is one of my three "upcoming" wishes. I hope this doesn't end up being another "Duke Nukem Forever-ish" never-ending project...

7. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Just release it how it is. Look at what type of feedback you get from the Initial release and see what you do from there. For example if people say they want more updates then take it from there but if they like the game how it is then take it from there.

8. beelzebubble

Jan 27, 2012
    I keep checking the official site, nothing. No useful info on twitter either. Sucks after having followed the game for so long :(

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So, after following the game for so long, you are disappointed that the developers take their time to polish and improve the game? Might I recommend the world of AAA console development, then? It is full of games rushed out to meet unforgiving launch dates ;)

Thanks right back at ya ;) Just take your sweet time with the game, until it lives up to all your own ambitions, no matter how absurd ;) The longer it takes, the more I look forward to playing...

10. 4ce

4ce Member

May 14, 2012
    I totally agree with Ayjona, PLEASE do NOT rush this game out because some people are impatient! I would much rather wait for a polished incredible game then an unfinished game full of glitches. I absolutely love what I've seen of your game and am excited to explore your universe! I also wanted to thank you for keeping this game a premium game! Freemium developers only care about your money, not their product or their fans and are ruining the game industry!!!

And for those of you complaining about lack of updates, maybe that's because the developers are busting their butts to get this game out for you to play instead of spending their time in forums and twitter!!! There are only 2 developers making a game that will blow away games that huge companies develop so show some respect!

11. beelzebubble

Jan 27, 2012
    I don't want to be a dick but, reading comprehension!

What sucks (and I'll reiterate, this is just my opinion) is the fact that we were getting a steady stream of updates all seemingly leading up to a release date and now we have no release date and few or no updates.

I can deal with the release date being pushed back (I'd love a month at least but I'll admit I'm impatient, I hate waiting for things when I have no idea how long I have to wait) but a lack of updates is actually enough to change me from a definite customer to merely a potential one or in some cases (depending on how cool the game looks) even a "non customer".

PR and advertising is hard, I can imagine. I also realize that most indie iOS game makers have no idea how to do it nor the resources. Still I make the comments I do in an effort to help devs I have an interest in better understand how some of their customers feel (and what they want, aka how to keep them jonesing).

12. beelzebubble

Jan 27, 2012
    Would they rather my respect or my money?

13. 4ce

4ce Member

May 14, 2012
    I think they would rather be proud of their game which as a fan, I will give them my respect and my money!

14. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Yes, totally agree with you on all fronts. Johnny Two Shoes set a high benchmark and earned themselves quite the reputation with Plunderland. The world is expecting a super high quality game in Prevail, and I doubt that Johnny Two Shoes will let us down. Have faith in the brothers. Every new day brings us one step closer to the release.

15. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Agreed. Plunderland was one of the very few games that followed intensely up until the release, and it was phenomenal.

16. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Stay up to date with Prevail

Hello everyone,

Sorry about our lack of updates but we have been concentrating on getting the game done, we have made a lot of tools to make development of content much faster and allow more ideas to be possible.

We hear your shout outs for not wanting to constantly check back for updates so we have put together a sign up list so you can chuck in your email and be alerted to new updates and progress with minimal effort.

PrevailApp.com

Hopefully this will make it easier for you all.

Thanks for those who have explained our situation on our behalf, sorry about the wait but we want this to be something special.

We have been working away and have a lot of cool things to show in the coming updates.

Thanks for the support everyone!

17. renton

renton Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    freelance design
    california
    can't wait for prevail ! DL plunder land to
    play through again ! full of win !
    many thanks to the dev's for such a masterful experience :)

18. joshsslade

Apr 16, 2010
    London
    Thank you for the kind words!

Always good to hear people enjoy what we spend so much time trying to make fun hehe

19. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Done. Looking forward to this quick, efficient updates (hopefully) :)

20. 4ce

4ce Member

May 14, 2012
    Can't wait to see what you have added! I can't tell you how excited I am for this game! THANK YOU for taking your time and making a game worth playing :) Looking forward to the email updates too, great idea!