Ipod Games: Are We Getting Spoiled?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by funkynubman, Feb 12, 2010.

1. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Wow, I've been reading some reviews and threads on the Appstore and such, and I wonder...

Are we getting too spoiled?

Think about it. Playstation Games, Wii Games, Xbox Games, etc. all can cost 50 dollars for a few hours of game time.

On the other hand, us iPhone/ iPod Touchers can get high-quality software for a few dollars, sometimes even a dollar or even free. The MOST that the majority of people have ever spent on an iDevice game is 7 to 10 dollars. The 7 to 10 dollar games are typically super-powerful, high-graphics quality games with detailed environments and hours of intense gaming experience... and you can jam at least 50 of those huge games in the iPod, if you have the right platform.

So why do we complain when we get a polished game?

On every single game on the Store, there is at least 1 review that complains that "they want their money back" or "the developers should update this thing more" like the devs have unlimited money or time. It makes me sad, this huge community of little kids begging for more when they already have an overflowing plate.

Do you feel like this too?

2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    it's been like this for a while
    for some reason only with the iPod/iPhone..

3. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    #3 starmonkey101, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    due to the fact that it is so much easier to make an iphone game than a console game. plus, apple allows 99.9% percent of submitted apps into the appstore. there is practically no regulation. thus, there are so many similar games that just drive each other's prices down. on the ds or psp, each and every game is substantially different from each other because there are less of them and nintendo/sony has more of a rigorous submission process. :cool:

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    There's a vast difference between the $60 and the $3 games. Don't confuse the two. There's no way you're going to mistake the side-scrolling AC 2 for the console AC 2. Are we getting spoiled? Maybe, but that's the way the market works. We expect the cream to rise to the top, it doesn't always, and full game experiences differ from person to person. Some people treat it like a legitimate gaming platform, others (such as myself) think of it as a really, really cool, but not quite there yet alternative.

5. David7

David7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    South Dakota
    Apple allows many games so we get more competition. Competition means people will lower prices in order to gain an advantage. In order to compete with the other people who lower prices, everyone else will lower prices too. It seems like it would be inevitable with so many developers.

6. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    its budget gaming, pure and simple. i used to blow 30 bucks at Gamestop like, twice a month but since i got my iPhone its easier for me to conserve money, especially here on TouchArcade where you can keep informed of when the sales are going on, and hunt for promo codes. I love a good bargain ^_^

7. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Are AppStore customers getting spoiled? Simply, yes. I cannot count the many spoiled kids I see reviewing great games with a one star or complaining about price. (I say "kids" because I find it quite unbelievable for an adult to behave in such a way)

8. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    ya i think some games fail at pricing, like pacman CE, while other games price's get mixed reviews because it depends on the type of seller, like COD zombies. The games that fail at pricing there game are not always being criticized for the price, but how it is executed. Cogs is another example.

9. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #9 spacecowgoesmoo, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
    Games aren't just cheap because of lots of competition. Just as a reminder, Apple bases its' main rankings on sales volume, thus causing 10 sales at 99c to create far more visibility than 1 sale at $9.99. This created the 'Race to 99c' effect, which both encourages development of cheap, smaller games and causes consumers to expect an unreasonable amount of content for less. You could even say that we've gone beyond this now with the 'Free for a Day' thing.

(They do have a Top Grossing chart now, but the damage to the App Store economy has already been done.)

10. RhythmMan

RhythmMan Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Musician
    California
    Spoiled gamers

Gameloft's new game GT Racing is a great example. People are getting a full fledged racing simulator for $7 and all I hear are complaints about how the draw distance isn't perfect, you can't adjust the gear ratios or tire air pressure. It's freakin rediculous, I had to leave the forums when people don't seem to understand what they're getting for only a few dollars. Some people expect console perfection for the iPhone!

One guy even said "as a consumer I feel I should get a 100% perfect game for my 100% good money". Ignorant, and short sighted idiot.

It's a $7 game for a phone, you can't forget what you're complaining about. I'm amazed with thre quality of titles on this little device, and it's getting better all the time...but we're currently reaching the limit of what the current 3g phone can do. If a game doesn't do EVERYTHING you've ever dreamed of, then don't buy it...

we have a society of complainers!!

11. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    the downside of freedom... what can you do?

12. David7

David7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    South Dakota
    It kind of makes sense that kids would be the ones whining (not that it's justified) because for a kid without a job ten dollars is probably all the money they get for a few weeks, right?

13. scottyd2k9

scottyd2k9 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Unemployed
    st helens (UK)
    So basically what your saying is that Ipodtouch/Iphone graphics are better than Xbox 360 graphics or Nintendo WII graphics. And not all games have only a few hours of gameplay theres hundreds. You cant really compare Xbox 360 games to a Portable hand held device Apps and games..... :eek:

14. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Especially when people complain that "it should be free." Gaaah!