No TA articles or talk of Dragon Fantasy Book 2 releasing on Vita...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eventide, Sep 28, 2013.

1. eventide

eventide Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2012
    And NOT releasing on iPad yet when the iPad was supposedly the platform of choice for it? Am I wrong in that? I thought they wanted to release it on iPad first and then put it on handhelds and PC later?

Why no TA articles on this?

No release date news or anything.

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I've been wondering out this myself. I thought we'd be getting it long ago.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    1) There's very little to say about it: Sony threw money at them, they made it a Vita exclusive.

2) The first game came out at a time when JRPGs where a rarity in iOS, so a somewhat charming but mediocre DragonQuest "homage" could actually get folks excited. These days We have a ton of way-better JRPGs in the App Store, so I'm not sure why we're suppose to care that they skipped iOS.

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    1) Well that solves it at least. I hadn't heard that. It would have been nice for them to share that info I. The thread where they were hyping the release of the update on iOS.

2) I still like DF :(

5. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I have to imagine that it would be even less exciting to the Vita crowd. I don't really care where it comes out first, but I think they'd do better on the iOS platform even with whatever money Sony threw at them upfront, if that's the case.

I also don't think there's a ton of JRPGs on iOS that are better than DF and the ones that are aren't really trying to do the same thing. Even if I thought DF was mediocre, I don't think the ton of mediocre JRPGs available would stand above it.

6. eventide

Jun 17, 2012
    I don't know, I can't really get into a lot of the JRPGs released on iOS. I was hoping this one would be a good Chrono triggeresque type of RPG but didn't know it turned kinda meh.

Would have liked more TA coverage of this but it's not like I'm paying for a subscription or something :p

7. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I got it on vita, is rather good. Much better than the first one so hope it eventually lands on ios.

8. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Sony trow them some money and they went full into Vita production thinking that it will be better than iOS ( can't blame them though , making indie RPG game in App Store visible is nightmare ).Problem is Vita is already full with RPGs of all kind and they got mediocre reviews for game.On iOS Dragon fantasy is more like niche retro game without much competition around, but with low visibility and monetization.They said iOS version will still get support and graphic update, but that promise was made long time ago, and to be honest I don't expect it ever to be updated after they put price sky-high; that's already a sign they don't care much because all new RPG players coming to iOS will probably skip it with current price range.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I did say it was charming... :p.

I guess I may have overstated my point. From a gameplay perspective, I would put most Kemco JRPGs above Dragon Fantasy, and then there are all the FFs, Chrono Trigger, Lunar, Chaos Rings. DF always struck me as more of a novelty.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Kemco RPGs have no soul or personality. I haven't been able to stick with a single one. CT and Lunar are great games but ports I've played through a million times in the past. Chaos Rings is sort of a more modern style of JRPG that I wouldn't compare. There are other ones you haven't named, but for its specific genre, I still consider DF one of the better entries.

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I find the Kemco RPGs accomplishing little more than scratching an RPG itch. I played one of their latest ones, something Origin, all of a month ago and found it so forgettable that I can't remember the whole name. The battle system was good, but the deeper nuances of game balance and strategy--to say nothing of the story--I found to be lacking. I could say the same about Dragon Fantasy, but it also manages to capture a NES feel better than most games that try to re-do that and the sense of humor incorporated into the story was nice. If DF had actually came out on the NES, it would have been a hit, whereas I don't think the Kemco games would have stood out on the SNES or PS1.

The other examples you give are superior, but they're the usual suspects.

12. Bryan @ Muteki Corp

Bryan @ Muteki Corp Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2009
    President, The Muteki Corporation
    Hey all! Just saw this thread and I figured I'd fill in the few blanks for you all.

1) yup we took part in what Sony calls their PubFund. They guaranteed us some money in exchange for a limited exclusivity period.

2) we've always said as soon as that's up the game will be coming to iOS - we never wanted to leave out the iOS fans that loved the first game - no exact date on iOS release yet but it's absolutely coming

3) regarding some of the reviews we got...unfortunately a game this large proved a more daunting task to test that we originally anticipated and so people who played the game a certain way ran into issues we weren't aware of - we've also fixed every single one of them we've heard of to date :)

Those who've interacted with us on twitter, facebook, or these forums will attest to the fact that we care about the people who love our games. We're a small company and sometimes things take longer than we'd like but we definitely get it done.

Also, be on the lookout. The big Dragon Fantasy Book 1 patch is submitting to Apple and should be out on iOS soon!

13. eventide

Jun 17, 2012
    Thank you very much :)

I have a Vita but I wanted this on iPad for a bigger screen and I always have my iPad with me. I may cave and get it on Vita and iPad :p

Again, your response is greatly appreciated.