Westbang, Undercroft, Crystal Cave - upcoming games from Rake in Grass

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by boovie, May 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Game developer/programmer - iPhone, Mac OS X, Wind
    Prague
    #1 boovie, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    We are proud to introduce three upcoming games from our development team, Rake in Grass, creators of Archibald's Adventures:

Westbang

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Westbang is a simple, yet addicting action game from old wild West. The player must protect city banks from bandits while avoiding shooting innocent customers. Classic game mechanics are delivered as extremely fast paced action with great comic-style graphics, more than 20 unique characters, 3 game modes, with dubbed level intermissions and an over 2 minutes long animated intro. You can compete with your friends and post scores on-line.

The game was already submitted to Apple so it should be available within few days, if everything goes well :)

Undercroft

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Undecroft is a vast epic adventure from a fantasy world that brings together the atmospheres of constituent games of the RPG genre (like Dungeon Master) with plenty of new features, easy-to-use interface and suberb graphics. Players lead a party of adventurers through haunted tombs, deep forests, fiery pits or snowy mountains. They fight hordes of beasts and magical creatures, solve mysterious riddles and fulfil dozens of tasks in adventure-game style. Undercroft is a remake of a pocket PC version with a completely redone interface optimized for iPhone.
    Expected release date 3rd quarter 2009.

Crystal Cave Classic

[​IMG]

Crystal Cave is a game of pure logic with more than 100 original puzzle levels.
    It is a quest for long-lost treasures buried in pitch black caves, pyramids and temples of ancient civilizations. Huge gemstones were sheltered from the sunshine for eons of time waiting for explorers brave enough to unearth them. You - as an intrepid treasure hunter - will need all your ingenuity to pass the traps and dangers of the underground and collect the treasure.
    Expected release date 2nd quarter 2009.

Any feedback is welcome!

2. mlady

mlady Member

Apr 27, 2009
    undercroft

Wow undercroft looks sweet. how is the moving done? And something about story?

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    undercroft looks really cool! It's like the "The Quest" or whatever form Chillingo right?

4. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Undercroft does look really cool, it's like The Quest meets Underworlds and Rogue Touch to get this. Looks interesting enough, as a port I hope it's ok. Other games look nice but not the type that interests people like me.

5. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Loving the artwork on the first game.

6. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Rake in the grass eh? You guys made Archibald, that's one of my favorite platform/puzzle games.

7. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Prague
    Yes, Undercroft is similar to Quest, but it's not fully 3d, the movement is like movement in old dungeons like Eye of the Beholder or Dungeon Master.

8. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Hey i remember on garage games this studio was featured for this cool top down zombie shooter. Any word on that coming to the iphone?

9. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    Looking patiently for all of them then! Good to know you'll port Undercroft!

Cheers,
    f.

10. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Wow, Undercroft looks great! Similar to the Quest, but with a party, which hopefully means highly tactical combat. Can't wait.

11. Grouick

Grouick Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Damn Undercroft looks great and fun to play.
    I just wish that Dungeon Master and Chaos strikes back were adapted directly for the iphone or itouch.

12. boovie

boovie Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Prague
    VoodooVyper: Thanks, hope you liked the new levels in the last update :) Crystal cave is a little different from archibald and probably more designed around puzzle solving.

Robertf224: That was Larva Mortus, it was written using engine from gg, but when we have tried running the eng on iphone the performance was not acceptable. So the game won't be coming to iphone, at least not anytime soon.

Grouic: That would be great to play these games on iphone again :)

13. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It's about time Undercroft came to the iPhone. Next to Legacy, that was my favorite RPG on the Pocket PC. Westbang looks kind of amusing as well.

14. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Undercroft looks interesting. To those who have played it before - in terms of gameplay is it similar to The Quest? Is it a lot of heavy grinding or is it a mixture of RPG gameplay?

15. pennydreadful

pennydreadful Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I did some online research and it seems that Undercroft is very similar to Redshift's "The Quest" and "Legacy" in terms of game play. Here is a link to the game's website with more screenshots, information, and even a handbook for the game.

http://undercroft.rakeingrass.com/

16. fantomik

fantomik Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Poland
    I was playing all of those games on my Pocket Pc PDA sometime ago and if my subjective opinion counts I can only say I was playing Undercroft more than the Legacy or the Quest. It just felt more fun to me (and I remember as if it would be today when I found a "rake in the grass" playing ;)) But they are all good games and I'm waiting for both, the Legacy and Undercroft, to show up in the *i*Universe ;)

Cheers,
    f.

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It's been a long time (relatively speaking) since I've played Undercroft, but the main differences between it and The Quest are that (1) Undercroft is party based, and (2) I don't recall Undercroft having nearly as many quests as The Quest.

18. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Put me down as being extremely interested in Crystal Cave Classic. :) :) :)
    The other two just don't appeal to me personally...

Any word on pricing for these?

19. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, from the handbook it looks like Undercroft has much more tactical combat than the Quest, but none of the non-combat aspects. Am I right? Does it have dialog/puzzles? Still looks good, though. I like tactical turn-based combat. Wizardrdy 8, mmm... good memories.

20. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    There are definitely dialogs and puzzles. Here's a quote from a review I wrote in 2006 for the Pocket PC version: "Of course, any good RPGs has many quests, and Undercroft is chock full of them" (pardon the grammatical error on RPGs :) ). I gave the game play aspect of Undercroft a 10/10, so I guess I must have really enjoyed it :D