Smuggle Truck - Insane physics driving game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by OwlchemyLabs, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OwlchemyLabs

OwlchemyLabs Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    #1 OwlchemyLabs, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    Hey Toucharcade,

The guys who created Super Ramen Brothers for the Toucharcade community (in only 24 hours) are back, with our new company Owlchemy Labs. You know our style of absurd, silly gameplay, and we hope not to disappoint with our newest title. We've been building and scheming and working on something big, and it's finally time to show you guys a sneak peek:

Smuggle Truck
    The premiere smuggling game for iOS and Web

Info:
    Smuggle Truck is an over-the-top physics-based driving game where you smuggle your cargo across the border in the least amount of time. Tilt your truck, catch newborn babies, drive over armadillos, and rocket your way over hills, through caverns, and over quicksand to save the people!

Video:

More info:
    Looking at the screenshots, you may recognize the art style. That's because legendary artist Bill Tiller is behind the art direction and creation! The name may not ring a bell, but he was the lead background artist from Curse of Monkey Island and many other big titles with LucasArts.

How he came to join the team was actually a funny story. He contacted us directly after seeing a pre-alpha build of the game and said "your game is so ****ing hilarious, I want to do all of the art for the game, because I want to see it succeed". Once we changed our pants, we started full-on production of the game.

So with a seasoned artist and a two-man development team cranking for almost two months of balls-to-the-wall development, we present to you our teaser video and screenshots. Hope you like them!

Ways you can follow our progress
    Twitter: @OwlchemyLabs Tweets
    Facebook: Facebook Page
    Blog: Super Secret Blog

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    looks quite interesting, i'll totally buy it

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Looks great. Nice clean graphics and good physics.

4. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I will buy this.

5. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Funny! I'll keep updated on this.

6. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    Here's some more candy for your eyes.

[​IMG]

This is an image where we've put together most of the assets we use in the game. Many more interesting and possibly deadly elements will be added to the game as we keep working on it. Keep a look out for them.

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    :eek: This game looks So AMAZING! Will definitely buy! Count me in! :cool:

8. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    looks pretty good!

9. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I just noticed the "level editor" button in the first screenshot. Does that mean we can make are own levels? If so, Sweet!

10. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    We're actually going to be doing a screencast about that very subject on our Youtube channel this Monday, so stay tuned :p

11. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    Looks great!

12. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    We just recorded our first screencast which gives a look into the development of Smuggle Truck. This week we're highlighting the level editor and announcing a level design competition that begins in February.

You can also see a partial playthrough of the level named 'The Murderhorn', which is infamous among our private beta testers as being devilishly difficult.

13. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    FYI, this was just front-paged.

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Why do I find this game hilariously racist, I mean smuggling mexicans across the border in a desert, hmm maybe near the Arizona desert perhaps?! lol I mean I'm not totally off here right, everyone in the back of the truck is brown.

15. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    @cilo
    We tried to represent (in a silly way) as many different and strange characters as we could, with only a limited number of spots in the back of the truck. If you felt like it was skewed toward some specific culture, then we haven't done a good enough job at representing everyone. We'll try to make it a bit more even, and as South Park and Family Guy see it, 'everyone gets insulted equally' , so we try to learn from their angle of satire in that regard.

16. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Not at all, I think it's pretty funny, but I gotta call it like I see it.

17. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    New sneak peek: Medal system and replayability:

This week in the Smuggle Truck Screencast, Yilmaz shows off our medal system. This system was designed both as a reward system for regular gameplay and also to provide solid paths for replayability. Check out the video below.

We found that often, racing games do a particularly bad job at offering a reason to replay levels. Additionally, if the player does choose to replay, they aren’t replaying with a different goal in mind. It’s usually just “do it faster”. Games like Burnout provide a secondary goal in addition to time, which in their case is the number of ‘Takedowns’ you can achieve during a race. Similarly, Smuggle Truck is tracking two major gameplay variables, both your time and successful passenger count. With these two metrics, we are able to provide players with multiple different goals.

We provide three medals that push for overall quality driving (bronze, silver, and gold medals require increasing speed and successful passenger delivery to varying degrees), but we also provide two other medals which urge the player to think explicitly about their driving style. The ‘Green Card’ award is awarded to players that drive slowly and carefully due to the fact that they are not being timed and their only concern is the safety of their passengers. The ‘Smugglers Run’ award, however, rewards pedal-to-the-medal reckless speed-run driving, with a minimum of one safe passenger. With this medal structure, we’ve observed 2-4 playthroughs on a single level, with minimum fatigue, which extends the play lifetime of each level we create.

What ties this all together is the fact that medals are used as currency to unlock later batches of levels, much like the non-linear progression through the Rock Band campaign mode. Players aren’t forced to beat all levels in a rigid order, but must go back and do better on prior levels in order to unlock new ones.

Keep up to date on this TA thread for more info soon.

18. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    We have a live playable demo of the game on the web! We're also running a big contest with Smuggle Truck, see the Toucharcade thread here for the link to the playable.

19. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    I love the demo!!!! LOVE IT!!!
    Can't wait to play this game. Is it going to be tilt controlled only or have on screen buttons as well for gas/brake and stabilisation?
    I love how it spits in the face of political correctness. You'll have my $ as soon as it hits the store.

PS did I see an actual Alien in there, or was it me?

20. OwlchemyLabs

Jan 11, 2011
    Game Studio
    Boston, MA
    Thanks eugekava.

Controls will be accelerometer for tilting and tap anywhere on the right half of the screen to accelerate, tap anywhere on the left half of the screen to slow down. Were you in favor of an alternate control scheme?

And yes, there is an extraterrestrial alien in there as well as a bunch of hidden crazy passengers that we'll be revealing closer to launch.

Glad you love it!