Best Chess App?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spidey, Nov 23, 2011.

1. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Hi folks. Can anyone suggest a good Chess Game out there? I like solving chess puzzles, and if there are a good number of end games stored offline, with the option of getting more from online, would be great. Occasionally I'd like to play a full game against AI too.

2. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Shredder is a good chess playing app, plus it includes quite a few tactics problems.
    tChess is also a good chess playing app, great UI, it is a Universal app, but it has no tactics problems.
    HIARCS is probable the strongest chess playing engine for mobile devices.

For tactics problems, try Chess Quest, TacticTrainer and Chess Trainer.

If you would like a great collection of famous annotated games, check out ChessDB.
    If you want an App that is basically an interactive chess book reader for classic chess books, check out SmartChess!

3. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    And I forgot to mention Stockfish Chess, which is a very strong, and free Chess Program. Plus it's a Universal App.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    My favorite is still Shredder, due to its speed, no-nonsense UI and included puzzles.

Kinda lame it's not universal though.

5. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Shredder has 1000 puzzles, good mix for my strength (1800ish), but most puzzle apps on the iphone are kind of lousy I think. Chesstempo.com refuses to make an iphone app sadly.

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    If you want puzzles included, yeah, Shredder is probably still the best.

My personal favorite is tChess Pro, however, due to the UI, design, in-game options, and I also feel that the AI is the most fun and human-like of all the iOS chess programs I've tried.

If you ever want to get online for chess, the chess.com app is really good. I think it was ArtNJ who turned me on to that, actually. Cheers, Art. :)

7. patrice-

patrice- Member

Jul 14, 2011
    For puzzles I had a very good time with Chess Problems, which is free.
    To play online I can recommend ICC which has been a reference for a very long time for playing chess online (not only on iOS)