18,000 Cool Jokes and NC17 ratings

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Dark NRG, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #1 Dark NRG, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
    Hey, I just saw the ad for the 18,000 Cool Jokes app on TA. I know it's not a game, but since its and advertiser, I thought I'd post ;)
    I got it for my gf and bc we just had out of town guests the other week and everyone was trying to think of jokes. This fits the need!

More importantly, this is the second game that I got a warning for adult content before proceeding. Might this be the precursor of more adult-oriented material being permissive due to this warning popup now being administered, or I should say, implemented?

2. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #2 Dark NRG, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    I MADE A MISTAKE. This app is horrible! 28 categories, average 3 jokes per category (you do the math), mispellings, grammar, ">>>" all over as if they cut and paste from email chain letters; and you CAN'T GO BACK TO ANY JOKE AFTER YOU READ ONE, EVER AGAIN! OMG! Just wanted Arn or someone to know.

CORRECTION FOR F@#$ POSTERITY: 48 CATEGORIES, NOT 28, WHICH JUST MAKES IT WORSE IMHO.

3. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Well any app like "jokes" or "stories" or "facts" are always copied from the internet. I will never understand why Apple approves of these since they pose zero creativity and needs no effort, and I'm sure infringes on some copyright issues. Copying jokes from the internet and selling them, isn't that the same as copying music/games/stories and claiming them as your own?

4. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
    Thanks for the heads up.

I was going to pick this up. Not anymore....

5. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

#5 cramzy, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
    Hi everyone,

I am Iliya, creator of 18 000 COOL JOKES.

1. The app DOES have 48 categories. Check the screenshots below the post.
    2. The app DOES have 18 000 jokes. The only way you may see less jokes in categories, is if you have set a length filter. This way, in some categories, very few jokes may appear (for example if you are looking for long blond jokes...). Check the screenshot again, to see the filters.

Now, the screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and one more thing, about navigation- yes, you cannot go back to a joke. The reason is that we have 18 000 jokes... we just can't provide any navigation that will make sense. Also, when we pick a random joke, we make sure you don't get a joke you've already read.
    So, if you liked a joke, you can add it to Favorites, so you can get back to it whenever you want.

@Dark NRG : People are really working hard here to do things well, and for what it's worth- I believe we've done a good job! And most of all- WE DO NOT LIE!

Let me comment on your remarks regarding 18 000 COOL JOKES:
    1. We are clear about the categories thing, right? 48! That's it.
    2. Navigation: I already explained. We did not provide back button because there are just too many jokes and back button doesn't make sense. What makes sense is to put a joke in Favorites if you liked it.
    3. About spell mistakes and copyrights... We hired several guys from India to collect jokes from all over the internet, books and magazines. I even purchased a license for ABBYY FormReader to OCR many of the jokes from different magazines. I haven't had the chance to check on all of the jokes (after all they are too many to check them in a few weeks time...), and I am truly sorry there are spell mistakes. In each update, we'll be fixing many of these, and I hope that all of them will be fixed in a month or two. It's just hard content work and it takes time.
    Oh, and about copyrights- jokes are not under the copyright laws I think...after all you never know who's the author of a particular joke...people just say it if they liked it. So, we were very careful not to violate any copyrights here.

About your money- okay, if you didn't like the app that much, let me give you two options:
    1. I will give you back the money over PayPal, but you have to remove your AppStore review.
    2. I can send you a promo code for our game Chippy. It's a remake of Pang / Bubble Trouble and costs $1.99.

Cheers,
    ILIYA

6. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    So I bought the app. I used to subscribe to joke mailing lists when I was younger, but that was 10 over years ago.

Anyway, there's a lot of jokes in the app. Definitely not as few as DarkNRG mentioned. Although, I can't really say how much because you can't really browse all the jokes. I hope this would be added in a future update. Maybe a list of jokes and a flag that indicates which one I've read before?

Some of the text indeed has ">>>>" markings, I guess it's a slipup by the dev. Hopefully this is fixed soon :)

All in all however, it's a 99 cent app for 18000 jokes. Pretty cheap I guess?

7. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    Censored?!!?

Well, I'd rather my whole thread be taken down then not be able to reply for the FIRST TIME in an open forum to defend my comments regarding being robbed by a developer who misrepresented claims, comments that were removed by Prab (which confuses the heck out of me of any mod!) and then having my very complaints reinforced by said moderator.

Earlier I sent Arn a private message. It is way to soon so I havent gotten a response, but I'm making it an open message here, and this is due to what I regard as a "cover up", the most vile of any infractions, to remove my post without even stating that a post/response WAS there but removed by the moderator, a post that was NO DIFFERENT than ANY of the thousands placed weekly in the forums, except this is an "advertiser" who complained about me.

Here is my letter to Arn:

Dear Arn, I just got a 1 point discipline thing or something from Prab bc of the thread I made regarding the developer/app of 18,000 jokes has messaged me and responded to me calling me a "liar". I stand my response and feelings regarding his product, and I feel that since he is calling for me to be "banned" (and I've had plenty of good debates with fellow members, but never someone saying that) I feel I'm the underdog here.
    You have addressed my concerns in the past about advertising when I was very new, and I thanked you openly and defended TA in the end.
    I am concerned about this action from Prab, someone I do respect.
    Please just close the darn thread, but I don't know if I feel safe to voice my opinions and/or concerns about products we all here are buying in the app store if the end result is perceived unbalanced censorship and discipline.
    Thank you for your valuable time.

8. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

@Dark NRG:
    The whole reason for what is happening to your thread is that you are using very rude and offensive language.
    If you used civilized language to explain what you did or did not like, then it would all be OK.

And after I proved that what you originally typed was wrong, you just continued fighting against us...why? The only thing you are actually correct about is that there are spelling mistakes from time to time (they are not so many though), and I already said we're working on fixing them (though this post of mine was also deleted).

Cheers,
    ILIYA

9. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    #9 Prab, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
    Hi Dark NRG,

I believe I stated my reasons quite well as to why I removed your posts. This is in fact the main reason for the infraction. It's simply a warning message. Without it, you would not have known as to why your posts were deleted.

Some things you mentioned were rather insulting as you have taken matters to a very personal level in the thread. We do not encourage such behavior in the forum as we try to keep a friendly environment.

If I had the intention of censoring you, I would have deleted all your posts, which I didnt. I believe the comments you made in your first post is valid and hence I left it alone. I also have edited Cramzy's posts removing personal mentions of you. All this was done to keep the thread on topic. But so much for that.

If you have any more problems, please feel free to PM me.

@Cramzy: your post about the update coming to fix the issues were not deleted. They were merged as one post.

Prab

10. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Just wanted to tell few things:

1. I found out that in the Others category, there are many jokes that do not belong there but to other category- fixed. Will be available in the next update. More than 2000 jokes were re-distributed through other categories.
    2. In the 1.1 update we'll do many spelling fixes, but we can't do them all at once...so, be patient... there will be 1.2, 1.3 etc.. we'll eventually fix them all.
    3. About navigation- we'll eventually add a "See previous joke" feature, but I am not yet sure if it will be in this version. If not in this- it will be in 1.2 that will follow very soon after 1.1.
    4. About seeing a list of all jokes- I am still thinking on that... I am researching several approaches, but such a feature will not come in 1.1 for sure!

Cheers,
    ILIYA

11. Dark NRG

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    #11 Dark NRG, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    Hey, that's GREAT! Thanks for addressing my concerns, and my apologies for getting pretty upset... I think we kinda snowballed on each other.
    Fortunately the TA team and members are a tight group, and extremely supporitive.

I'm looking forward to the update, and even adjusted my iTunes scathing review to reflect my anticipation ;)

Geesh, talk about explaining a joke makes it not funny anymore, eh?

If you add more material in the future, might I request some material from Garrison Keillor's Joke shows. I'm a big fan. Here's a link:
    http://www.publicradio.org/applications/formbuilder/projects/joke_machine/joke_page.php

And here's an example:
    A blode walks into the doctors office and says doctor it hurts all over. She points to her knee, OUCH! She points to her stomach, OUCH! She points to her head, OUCH! She says Doctor can you help me. He says Yes you have a broken finger.

BTW Nice job on your TD comparison chart!
    Edit: whoops! That's Camzy! Sorry for the confusion!

12. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Oh, one more thing: in ver.1.1 we are adding guess what? YEAH- CHUCK NORRIS JOKES! :)

+ SAP jokes probably... if anyone worked at SAP he'll love them... for example:
    "The blue pill takes you to Walldorf"
    "The Matrix runs SAP"
    etc... :D

13. MichaelMurtagh

MichaelMurtagh Active Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I Think My Favorite Joke On This App Is The Bearded Barbie One:

"There is a new Barbie doll on the market - Bearded Barbie... complete with tweezers"

Is That Even A Joke?!

14. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    (April 22) -- A father in Washington state says his 5-year-old son was sent home from kindergarten with a bag of human feces in his backpack, KOMO-TV reported.
    The father, who asked to be identified only as "Jason," said the stinky mess was wrapped in a brown paper towel with a note that read, "This little turd was on the floor in my room."
    Jason said he believes his son's teacher placed the poop in the youngster's bag and wrote the message.
    "I'm still kind of in shock over this, because why would somebody do this? It's disgusting!" Jason told KOMO.
    The father said the teacher had called him one day last week, complaining that her classroom stank and asking if boy may have had an accident. Jason admitted it was a possibility, since his son previously had had a couple of accidents at school.
    School officials said the teacher and the school principal are being questioned over the incident.

15. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I know there are jokes that don't make sense to most people, but as soon as the ratings system is ready, such jokes will no longer appear :)

And there are good jokes too...here's a good one:
    :D

16. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Heard it... 10 times =P

But still makes me crack a smile.

17. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I don't have the app, I might buy it, but I honestly can't stand the interface. Terrible gloss, worst choice of colour possible and strange shapes. I think you should perhaps fix this in the next update also. Especially red text on green.. RG colour blind people will find that fairly amusing I'm sure.. The dock and it's icons are great though, but the main background (yellow) should change to a nutral colour (like grey/black/navy something dull..) and possibly have transparent boxes with a coloured outline and then coloured text inside it. In a different font. If you want, I could tamper with it? It needs fixing :p

18. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I totally agree about the red color on green background, and we are changing this.
    About the background- to be frank, we are pretty happy with it... the whole idea of the app is to bring fun and the natural colors don't bring a lot of it.
    I am thinking one of the next versions might have several themes though (and the user can pick) but this is a lot of work, so it's not coming in the 1.1 or 1.2 updates.

Cheers,
    ILIYA

19. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    #19 Paulio, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    Awesome :)
    I like the idea of picking themes.

I was bored.. So I tweaked yours a bit.. well, completely, but at least it's readable, which to me is more important than 'fun'. To me at least (keep in mind just from the screenies ;P) all those colours clashed and was hard to read, so I made a neutral (sorry for they typo before, neutral not natural ;)) colour scheme which is neat, yet totally vibrant and readable.

also sorry if I came out harsh, before or now, or anything, I was only giving some constructive criticism through what I'd seen, just making sure you know :p! Good luck with future updates and projects :)

Paul

Attached Files:

20. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

WOW I love the first one!!!!

I might actually try to do theming for ver 1.2 because of you :D

THANKS a million for this. It really looks awesome.
    And I promise- there will be themes in one of the following updates.

I am hoping we submit ver.1.1 for approval today, but there is more work to do... we want to have more than 500 Chuck Norris jokes and we are now working on them :D

P.S. The whole concept of 18 000 COOL JOKES is to become the ULTIMATE jokes app ever! We'll add many many new features!

Cheers,
    ILIYA