Universal Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (by Rockstar)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NeppyFX, Dec 5, 2012.

1. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    So maybe a better comparison would be Xbox1 as it ran a hybrid version of Windows XP/NT and specs out well below my 4S and below the iPodTouch 4th gen as well (probably 3rd gen too, though I haven't compared stats). Xbox ran VC really well. Better than PS2. It's amazing to tech spec compare devices. Then again the iPhone out specs my old netbook with a 1.6GHz single core Atom processor, cheap intel graphics with the only redeaming feature being my 1.5gb of ram. I can play GTA:VC on it in higher resolution through an external monitor than my iphone.

It would be nice to get some kind of app or something that can show what the system is capable of. I mean, yeah we know the system can use the Unreal Engine 3 and push stuff in Infinity Blade that's similar to big current console games (not even talking old outdated systems)... but that's not an open environment and stuff. Heck really GTA:VC on iOS is a leap above many other games with big worlds to explore. I don't think it's a technical limit as much as it's about good programming... but I think that's the only real hole in GTA:VC on iOS. Still, it plays fine on my 4S so I'm not complaining. Same for getting the XBox/PC version of The Bard's Tale ported to iOS... or the HD update of Jet Set Radio which I'm assuming is probably through some middleware which really bloats up the code.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Seeing as how iOS devices are now far beyond Xbox/PS2 in terms of capability, I'd love to see Halo 1 & 2 if Microsoft would allow it. Just slap Gameloft style controls on that thing and we have two of the best shooters ever made for iOS.

3. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    how about just Gameloft's stuff? We got NOVA3 and MC4 :rolleyes:

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #684 JBRUU, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    I take it you've never played Halo.

If you had, you would realize that Gameloft's singelplayer offerings are a steaming pile of # compared with Halo's, in every possible way.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I take it no one has had any success modding now that iOS 6 prohibits such atrocities?

I've never really looked into what mods are out there, I'm sure there're some interesting ones. Graphically I'm completely satisfied with the game; it looks fantastic, but I wonder about modding some car handling, swapping models, etc. A stunt park for the motorcycles would be awesome!

6. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    I saw my cousin playing its multiplayer. Seems just as much fun as NOVA's. No idea how the single player mode is though. It must be good, according to your experience.

7. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Your pissing into the wind trying to explain that to him. Hes been saying that for years on here.

I give up a long time ago lol

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #688 JBRUU, Jan 29, 2013
    You haven't played Halo 1's story mode? How old are you? You do realize that that was the first ever "real" or "modern" FPS?

Yeah if you haven't played Halo's SP then you are missing out (at least #1 & 2's, haven't played the newer ones).

As for multi, GL does a great job with that. No argument here. Would prefer slighly smaller maps, more weapons and better weapon balancing, though...

But when I see something that's incorrect I can't just let it stand unchallenged...:p

^^Actually if you (I) keep doing that you'll end up with more trouble on your hands than you'll know what to do with. It's just a pet peeve of mine people getting hardware confused, and it really grates on me when someone with outdated hardware (the iPod 4 is closing in on 2.5 years old; that's ancient in the mobile arena) complains about games not running well.

9. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Well, blame apple not Rockstar.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    *sigh*

I'm done. Suffice it to say that if you want the best experience, you need to upgrade at least once every two years.

11. BruteOutlawz

Jun 18, 2010
    #691 BruteOutlawz, Jan 29, 2013
    Yeah, i know what you mean, the 4g ipod has had its day. I upgraded from a 4g ipod after a year to my 4s.

People cant expect great performance with a 2.5 year old mobile device. It was underpowered from day one if you ask me.

But sidgoku123 seems to know more then all these top developers releasing games on ios, maybe he needs to change jobs and show them how its done...

The 2 year cycle is about right, im still playing all the latest games with decent framerates on my 4s, not perfect, dips on certain games but thats to be expected.

It should tide me over till the 5s comes out and my 4s is 1.3 years old now and you dont see me complaining.

12. BruteOutlawz

Jun 18, 2010
    Get used to it.

Welcome to the apple/mobile ecosystem.

13. BruteOutlawz

Jun 18, 2010

And its your responsibility/choice as a consumer to upgrade your device

14. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    It's amazing,NOVA 3 is good,but halo is the best

15. BruteOutlawz

Jun 18, 2010
    Which they have done, it might look like shit and run at a dodgy framerate but that's down to the hardware. And rockstars not responsible for that are they..:rolleyes:

Dont you think if they could make it any better they would of done?? or are they just trying to sabotage their own sales.

Or maybe their doing dodgy deals with apple to up the sales of new devices..

Tin foil hat time

16. BruteOutlawz

Jun 18, 2010
    And im out, its like talking to a brick wall lol

Get a refund from rockstar, problem solved.

17. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Due to retina, the 3G iPod is a lot more powerful in practice than the iPod 4. It's like the iPad 3 vs iPad 2 - retina kills it.

18. ThePowerofLava

ThePowerofLava Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    #698 ThePowerofLava, Jan 29, 2013
    This game is a DIRECT PORT. That means that, although Rockstar has upped some of the graphics and tweaked the optimization, there isn't going to be much effort on their part to make it work with EVERYTHING.

Also, from a sales perspective, most to all the people who are going to pay for this game have recent, maybe one year old devices. So instead of making the guy who refuses to upgrade anything or get any new hardware completely happy, they chose to make the people who are most likely going to buy the game happy.

Common sense.

And if you really are this butthurt, take it up with Rockstar, seeing as you obviously think we don't know anything.

19. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    You mad bro?:rolleyes:

20. ThePowerofLava

ThePowerofLava Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    My point is that they optimized it for the fifth generation systems.

What you're asking is like making an XBox 360 game work perfectly on an old Xbox (compatibility of disc reading issues aside)