Can anyone suggest a publisher?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by derpderp, Dec 13, 2011.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I know a few

Ea Mobile (EA)
    Chillingo (EA)
    Click gamer (EA)

and
    Bulkypix

Can anyone else suggest decent games publishers for IOS gaes?

Also if you happen to know roughly what cut they take, that would also be nice.

Thanks in advance!

2. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Depends on the game.

If you are doing 3D, speak with Crescent Moon. Almost all of their games get great attention and make it into the Top 25 for US charts.

3. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks,

Anybody got any others?

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Chillingo seems to be able to do no wrong lately IMO.

5. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Did you play Race illegal and superman?.. Awful.

6. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    There are only five?

7. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

I too am looking for a publisher. I'm hands down the worst self-publisher on these boards!

8. Keyeszx

Keyeszx Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I'm just wondering what can a publisher do for you that you can't besides have a name that will attract buyers?

9. LockStockGames

LockStockGames Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Isn't attracting buyers the only thing you want/need them to do?

10. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Why get a publisher?

Publishers will take a cut of the profits, anywhere from 30%-75% depending on the game and how much they perceive the risk to be, and also how much of the cost of advertising they need to cover. Publishers will typically invest a significant amount into advertising your game, 5k+, the good ones also have contacts within apple they talk to to and also a large customer base and database of engaged gamers that they post a release about your game to which boost initial sales as well, and a database of review contacts they post a press release about your game to and call the most important ones who they most likely already have good relationships with.

They may also help with a promo video and social media coverage.

75% may seem like a lot, but 15% of 200k or 300k is a lot better than 100% of $2 a day worse case scenario if you try to launch yourself and don't get noticed.

Most publishers can also assist with quality testing and advice on your game to make your game successful, and that can be invaluable.

If you are a first time games developer I would strongly suggest going with a publisher at least for your first title so that you can get your head around how the industry works.

:cool:

11. givenstage

givenstage Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Game Artist
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice TheGreatWhiteApe... it adds a new perspective to my views towards self publishing.

12. artcue

artcue Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Gamedeveloper, Co-Founder of Artcue
    Vienna, Austria
    Well,
    @: TheGreatWhiteApe

It would really be nice, if you would make a percentage of 200k or so....but in reality only a small percentage of games which are published by a publisher do so well....
    a good way to know how good a publisher really is, is to look up their last 20 apps or so and see, how well they´ve done at appannie.com.
    Some of you would be surprised at the result...

but anyway: two more: http://rockyou.com and http://6waves.com/

But please do NOT give away your IP, if you make a deal. Good luck!

13. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    We here at PikPok have started publishing third party titles too. However, we are pretty picky and will only publishing a small number in the next calendar year.

14. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    I think iOS publishers get a list of successful titles by picking winners, much more so than any promotion they provide. If a publisher wants your game, it's an indication that your game will probably sell well even without the publisher. If they don't want it, you have some work to do.

They can help with funding, but it comes at a pretty high cost. Again, if they're willing to plonk down cash to help you finish your game, you know that you have a worthy investment, and can probably find cheaper sources of funding. 30%-75% is a big bite, especially since it usually comes out of the 70% you have left after your real publisher, Apple, takes their cut.

15. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I think it's also worth saying that a well-known name often can help your sales quite a bit as well. For example a household name like Chillingo will gain you lots of sales. The question there is whether it's enough sales to recoup losses taken by the publisher...

16. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    There are definitely pros and cons (probably more pros) to using a publisher.

One thing that scares me though, is the rate at which some publishers release games. You may indeed grab a lot of sales initially, but it seems like after a week or two they're on to the next batch of releases.

Also, like someone else mentioned, do not give up IP if you can. Just imagine if Rovio didn't own the rights to Angry Birds. :(

Also check out this video, which was posted here about a week ago... http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/12/how-to-market-your-indie-games-ben-kucheras-lecture-at-run-jump-dev.ars

17. AmazingRuss

AmazingRuss Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    You're probably right for a huge publisher like EA. If nothing else, after it's all said and done, you get to say "EA saw fit to publish my game", which will gain you instant cred. The smaller the publisher, the less bang for the buck, obviously.