Universal Pilot's Path - (by Happymagenta)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #21 Echoseven, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
    As far as I know, a "gift" simply gives you a free upgrade. It's just something I've heard from another player though, so I'm not certain.

And as for scenarios, I'm pretty sure you unlock them once you finish the jungle. Still haven't quite got up to that point yet though.

2. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #22 VirtualBoyFreak, Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks, I'll wait for the devs to see if it's certain or not. Different helis would be great. Do you know how to unlock the new scenarios which are closed when you begin a new game? EDIT: reread the reply. I feel silly for asking the same question when you already answered it :( anyway, thanks again

3. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    2 VirtualBoyFreak:

About the IAP:

As you may have noticed, the IAP isn't in any way pushed in the game - game plays wery well without it.

We made this on purpose - did not want too much angry players.

However, IAP can help to those, who are in a hurry. And for those, who like the girl.

Now back to the difference between coins and gifts.

Coins are consumed in the current game - if you start a new one they are gone.

Gifts are one time and restorable, each gives you one helo upgrade.

This a kind of cheat.

Once you have purchased all gifts, you may get 6 upgrades w/o spending in-game money.

As it is restorable one time purchase, each time once you start a new game, you may go into the hangar, restore purchases, and get all 6 upgrades instantly.

This should be valid for the second and future locations too.

And, of course, the mechanic girl will wear all the gifts :) This was just a little crazy idea. Just for fun. We didn't really expect much IAP sales. As I mentioned about, we do not push IAP in any way and were trying to make the game enjoyable without it.

4. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks Happybyte :) how do you unlock new locations? My guess is that by completing the missions the boss gives you. Am I right? Btw, are there day/night cycles in the game? That would look cool too. In any case, thanks for making such a nice game which can be played in short bursts. Ideal when you have children :)

5. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    We have much of response for different aspects of the game - more stuff and locations should come with free updates.

Next location unlocks as you complete the previous one.

To complete a location it may take up to several hours - using autopilot much helps it.

Experienced players that played the game for quite a while, using proper order of upgrades, may complete locations in slighly over than 1 hour each.

I, as a member of the team, personally feel very happy that there are people who find the game enjoyable without hack, slash, fire, guns and kills - so, thank you very much :)

To make a game and to make it run smooth on all the devices and resolutions it took us over a year and a half - it was just really a big effort. Triple sets of graphics for each of resolution types, pixel perfect optimized each.

Also, it was pretty much about technology. Tuning performance to make it fun even on older devices, tv out, controls and remote. Now, as we have an engine and tech, there are more game to come soone - Mac version of PP amd new locations should come very soon, and the next game with guns, totaly different gameplay, multiplayer and lot more fun comes early next year.

6. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Exactly :)

7. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Yes, it's very enjoyable, at least for me. It gives the game a zen feeling which allows you to advance at your own pace without needing to worry about the enemies, as it happens with shooters. It makes the game completely different from the rest that's available in the app store :)

8. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I'd like to chime in with my thanks and praises for this game, it's just so fun to play. So "off rails" with random maps and freedom to go where you like when you're ready, it suits me down to the ground. Just left a positive review on iTunes. Well done guys for an excellent game!

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Thanks for making a game that looks amazing on the new iPad! Really relaxing and enjoyable just chilling out and admiring the graphics.

10. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    Does the game support iCloud save transfer? It would be really useful, especially in a long sandbox type game to be able to move saves between devices. If its not there yet, could it be added? :D

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    #31 september, Sep 29, 2012
    Is there any way to zoom in or set zoom level?

I find the view a bit too distance on the new iPad, screenshots from the other version look better placed with helicopter and view area showing a bit more detail but less area (which I'd personally prefer).

12. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    The iCloud, to our shame, is not there yet - now I think how could we really release it w/o it.

It comes with the upcoming bugfix update.

There will also be an iTunes folder open, so savegames could be managed manually through iTunes file sharing feature.

13. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I don't connect to iTunes; it has burned me in the past (by wiping a device of mine clean, deleting all of the apps I had, simply because of a duplicate file name)

I've been using iExplorer on my PC to (attempt) to manage my saves. Btw, my phone IS NOT jailbroken.

So, quick question, are the saves encrypted to only work through iTunes transfer? If I manually access the app's root folder, can I pull out the save games, save them on my hard drive, and place them back on my phone later?

14. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    That's great news :) I already bought it, it brings back many memories! (Jungle strike obviously) but the fact it is more pacifist is actually refreshing! I wish you guys success on the AppStore and can't wait for the iCloud update :D

15. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #35 Happybyte, Sep 29, 2012
    Nope, a thousand apologizes, there are NO zoom levels possible now.

We have 2 sets of the game world graphics.
    1x - for 3GS and lower VGA resolutions.
    2x - for all retina devices, inclusing iPhone 4/4S/5, all iPads, and high HDMI resolutions.

Basically most of devices use the 2x gfx set - the bigger the resolution in real pixels, the more you see on your display.

We could add 4x resolution gfx set and make the new iPad to show less landscape, yet bigger helo. However, nothing comes without a particular price - with this extra set the game would be smth like 250MB to download. On the other hand, an ability to see more ladscape can also have its pros.

So, what you would really vote for - ability to see more landscape and lesser download size (125MB) vs bigger helicopter size, less landscape within a single screen and bigger download size (250MB)?

16. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #36 Happybyte, Sep 29, 2012
    Just in case someone has jailbroken devices here.

No concerns about jailbroken devices, as far as the app is legally purchased - there, however, may be a little, yet resolvable problem.

Some kernel modules may eat too much memory, so the game may crash on iPad 1 because of that - we don't develop and test using JB devices, so, our tests couldn't show us this problem on early stages.

As far as I know, all savegames are stored in the Documents folder of the app sandbox - so, your plan should work.

17. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I wouldn't like to change the default of what you already have, I would love a closer in view as an additional option because it looks to have more personality, but I'm guessing general consensus would probably be a smaller app size.

I'm still enjoying it as is so it's not a must have.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I would choose to keep it as it is, I love being able to see so much landscape at one time. A busy screen is a happy screen! If people want to zoom in I'd suggest merely adding a toggle that blows up the image to 2x but with the same graphic assets. It would look more blocky, but as a temporary zoom I think it would be fine.

19. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Added to the todo list =)

20. willrax

willrax New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I used iExplorer last night when restoring a phone and it worked.