Bad Sales, Need Advice

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by magonicolas, Nov 20, 2010.

1. magonicolas

magonicolas Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    #1 magonicolas, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
    Hello There! Im Nicolas Palacios, Developer From Chile.
    I Created a Great game in my opinion (And reading the Reviews of people, only 4 and 5 stars) but is not getting good sales… no more than 4-10 a day and for ipad version 10-20 a day.

The game is Called, e-Pig Rope.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You Can see a video here:

Itunes Store Links:
    iPAd: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/e-pig-rope-xl/id403430433?mt=8
    iPodTouch and iPhone: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/e-pig-rope/id400929255?mt=8
    Game Description:

WARNING: You will really LOVE Eddie and all his games!

Join an exciting and e-Pic journey!

From Chile! e-Pig Rope! A New Concept In Games! A Original Rope Game!

With Retina Display! If your device can have retina display.

This is the second e-pig Game! (Search for e-pig)

Action, Adventure and SPEED!
    A very Adrenaline and addictive game!
    This game is very EXTREME.

Help Eddie To Explore the Jungle! But Beware of Monsters and Spikes! You Will have to use your rope to go throw the jungle.

Use your e-PiC Skills to beat the Angry Eagle on the Final Level!

You Will Feel like a Ninja! Ninja`s Like to use Ropes.

So.. Unlock Red and Black Ninja and Beat the Evil Eagle in This E-PIC Challenge.

Discover the Secret Level! Is a Hard One!

Learn to Play while you progress in the Game!

Features:
    Retina Display
    Custom Made and AWESOME graphics.
    Custom Made and AWESOME music.
    Your Loved Character! eddie!
    Unlock Characters.
    Secret Levels.
    Save your progress.
    15 Levels, in Difficulty Order, from Easier to Harder.
    First Levels, are tutorial.
    Compete with your friends for High Score!

Join an exciting and e-Pic journey!

WARNING: You will really LOVE Eddie and all his games!

Please Help!

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well thoose are not bad sales... not sure what you expected (pls don't say becoming rich)

but if thats your constant sales that means 24-50$ a day before apple takes their cut..

so after their cut its monthly 504-1050$ i would not say this is actualy bad sales at all.. most are earning alot less than that and are happy if the even get a monthly payout..

since i don't know your background if your a single developer or have a hundred men strong team behind you etc.. i would say the sales are pretty solid. neither good or bad. it generate revenue so its good.. make 10 of thoose little games and you live like a king in chile..

at the end the income of this single game should give you (depeding on your personal living standard in chile) an ok income. well above average.. and you have other titles on the appstore too right..

so its not the question why you sell bad, which you don't, but rather what you expected?

3. magonicolas

Oct 24, 2010
    I work alone, but pay for Sound and Graphics.

Also, this game where released like a week ago… I Released another game like 4 weeks ago and its making 1 or 2 sales… And started better than e-pig rope (But e-pig rope is a much better game for me a reading the reviews)

So.., Sales WILL GO DOWN because is not neer release date now…

50 USD a day would be AWESOME!, but they are decreasing FAST, And my first game, e-pig, makes like 1 2 or 3 a day MAx.

So if Nothing happen… then same will happen with e-pig rope.
    Any Help?

Thanks for your comment

4. magonicolas

Oct 24, 2010
    Now i have sales.
    e-Pig rope, released 13 of Nov
    6, 54, 28, 18, 4, 6
    e-Pig Rope XL, released 17 of Nov
    46, 29

They are going down.

Im asking for a strategy, to make it more popular.
    For more sales, because don't wan number to go down.

e-Pig, released one month ago, last 15 days sales:
    4, 2, 0, 5, 1, 1, 0, 1, 3, 1, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3

Don't want to have those sales with e-pig rope that is an incredibly fun game.

5. Appacity

Appacity Member

Aug 20, 2010
    I would rename it to 'Angry Pigs' before Birds release theirs! ;)

6. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    For the future (and I do hope you keep making games), I think your trailer should really focus on gameplay and jump straight into the action. Unless your game is very cinematic/story-based I'd give the title cards, taglines, etc, less than 10 secs.

Not to be negative but as for increasing sales, I'd jump straight into the next game. I think it's much easier to have an impact before and immediately after release. Promotion should be a full time job weeks before release. And if you get any sleep the day after release, you're doing something wrong :D

7. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Just some quick thoughts...

The name is a little weird, maybe you should call it Ninja Pig or something short and sweet. Or maybe Ninja Pig in the Jungle. Also, the promo video only plays jungle music and doesn't show the pig making any sounds or saying anything. Giving your pig some personality or emotion might help in gaining traction with reviewers and players.

Think "Angry Birds". Bam! I get it. Birds are angry with somebody and are out for revenge. "E-Pig Rope"? Not so much. Not that everything has to be named "Angry whatever". Doing that will just sound cliche now. But I do think a good name will help sell your game.

8. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    how about iPig Rope?

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I can just comment from a gamer's point of view, but I guess, that can be helpful.
    I never really cared about the title of a game, but the masses seem to be more attracted to a shorter one, so you might want to try changing it. Another thing is, that even though I use many gaming sites daily, I've never heard of your game until now, so you really need some better advertising. If not paid advertisements on sites, at least a few promotions here, on Twitter or even on Facebook. These can help you gain lots of publicity with little work. I don't really see any problem with the screenshots or the trailer, but those are really subjective.

I guess, I can only hope I could help. :>

10. magonicolas

Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks for All your Help (All Of You)
    I Did Promote it Here, after and before release…. And in a lot of forums… Any tips o another forum to promote it?

e-Pig is because the pig`s name is Eddie. And it also Sound like EPIC, that the game…

Thanks for all Advice.

11. semibored

semibored Member

Sep 22, 2010
    That's actually a rather subtle inference. When I heard e-PIG, it made me think of the most common use of the "e" which is electronic, not epic.

The gameplay looks great as do the graphics, but I do agree with most of the posts above me - the name should be something a bit more catchy, the trailer should show a bit more gameplay rather than a long intro about a story. If anything, you can mix the two together - show gameplay, part of intro, and back and forth.

12. comboapp

comboapp Well-Known Member

I would suggest you to do couple things:

1. Re-consider the keywords set you've defined for your iPhone and iPad app version
    2. In your video you need to decrease its soundtrack sound level and add some sounds from the actual game. You need to give a better grasp on what your app is about.
    3. Right after the line with its price drop you need to put the YouTube video link and put a several words straight catchy description for the game
    4. e-Pig Rope ---> Flying Ping: Adventures in jungles! Let people smile and wonder "How the hell a pig can fly?"....
    5. I would launch a contest here on the forum to encourage people to promote your game on Facebook and Twitter and provide free promo codes in return.

13. Appacity

Appacity Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Great name! Good work comboapp!

14. A few quick things:

• Change the Name: "When Pigs Fly" maybe

• The background image should really scroll as the pig moves (parallax scrolling). Right now my brain just tells me something is wrong when watching the video.

• Do more marketing: Ask for reviews from the major review sites, start a twitter account, run a contest here on TA to get followers, send out a press release, link to your game in all your emails, forum posts, etc., create a landing page for your app, etc. There are a lot of articles on this online.
    In the end though, as mentioned by others, sales numbers like that are pretty common.

Some people think they have a magic formula because they made a great app and did some promotion and it took off. The reality is that they just got lucky. For every success, there are a dozen games just as good with just as much effort put into them that have sales like yours.

Having a great game and doing marketing is (usually) a prerequisite, but it is no guarantee of a huge success.

15. magonicolas

Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks for all your Help! Will think a lot about all your tips!

16. DPP13

DPP13 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    College Student
    I downloaded this game for free with a code from Promo Dispenser after reading the post. The reason for bad sales, possibly, is it might just not be that good, no offense. It wasnt horrid, but I definitely would not recommend it to my friends.

17. tronner

tronner Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Send promo code for appspy, toucharcade, (allgamesitesreview) and ask them to do a review, who will find ur game on the app store and buy it? there is over a nine thousand games(lol) on the app store, i think u could bust a little sells if there is reviews on gamesites

18. According to 148apps.biz, there are over 42,000 games on the App Store.

Your statement about there being over 9,000 apps was therefore true, but somewhat misleading. :)

19. tronner

tronner Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    over a nine thousand is just a speach of vegita when he sees how strong kakaroto is lol look for youtube video

20. magonicolas

Oct 24, 2010
    Im Making a some improvements for an update, Also created a NEW and good website: http://www.epiggames.com

Any More Help?

Thanks.