Page redesign...?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by 1337brian, Feb 9, 2009.

1. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Any word on if a redesign is in the works for TA? (*cough* arn *cough*) Mods?
    Please don't get me wrong, I love TA and I can navigate it no problem, but I do have a few suggestions on things that could improve the overall layout...

2. goblues11

goblues11 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Please tell us your suggestions.
    I am very interested

3. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    if the site wants, I can think up + sketch up something...

4. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    #4 1337brian, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    Well for one I would love a way to search games, in way that has them cataloged so to speak. And then possibly from there have the forums link from those pages, or have people add to those pages, i.e. cheats, screenshots, etc... Also the forums are good, and I just found about the social groups for one, but maybe like some have suggested avatars. I know some people asked about a chat room, I for one am against that idea, but I am really just interested if arn were planning any type of TA 2.0 in the future...?

[EDIT] - Also, the link to appshopper.com has been missing for about a month now...

5. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    Already approached Arn about the idea, talked abit about it with him. Even designed a site. Here's what it summed up to be.

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    do people really want a site redesign? :)

I'm open to suggestions, feel free to post your thoughts.

While Zandog's design looks nice, I'm not real interested in moving towards a magazine-style design.

arn

7. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    @arn,
    IMO, does it need a redesign? Not really, I've been perfectly happy with TA for a long time.
    Could it be better? Always...I would like a better way to search through games. Mainly I started this thread because I wanted to know if it had been talked about, or in the works, and second wanted to know what the other members would want if there were a redesign.
    Also I was wondering why you removed appshopper from the links..?

8. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I think zandog's is cool, but WAYYYYYY too complicated.

9. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Sorry boss. Wasn't trying to put you on the spot. My design style varies so you know what to do if you just want a face lift.

It's definately a power users website design. Too complicated? Not really. It's all the same content TA currently has, nothing more added. Just formatted differently. You should see the games section, Wow, organized. A quick rundown of the vision I had involved not only the gamers, but attracting the developers even more.

Main Page:
    - News. Reviews/Previews of iDev games and the hardware accessories that surround them.
    - Latest videos of upcoming games and point releases.
    - Interviews with the developers of these innovative products both pre and post release.
    - Keeping an achieve section of all posted material divided by software and hardware.
    - Coop with actual sponsors and partners who would be willing to help finance our website operations in return for good advertising through the site and it's events.

Software:

- The software section would allow Arn or any TA staff to add and users to filter games based on its category. (game type, release date, user rating, developer, comments, cost, plus more)
    - The developer of the game would have the option to participate and post blogs, media and extras regarding their games, give release dates for point releases and take feedback and comments without having to surf the forum for this information. (Direct developer to gamer hub for their games)
    - Media for each app reviewed and previewed (descriptions, images, videos)
    - The ability to compare games of the same genre by price, rating, user comments and # of updates so gamers can make it easier to decide what game is best suited for them.

Hardware:
    - Product previews and reviews of accessories related to the iPlatform.
    - Featured and archived articles regarding the peripherals and their developer.
    - Reader feedback of these hardware accessories with a user review, pros, cons and other thoughts.

User Resources:

- Hosting events, competitions and giveaways held and organized through TA for TA or the developer.
    - Developers Q&A where the gamers can ask questions of the developers.
    - User created articles that can be up for consideration to be front page material.
    - Specs, tips and techniques for keeping your device running and performing smooth.
    - Podcast: What's the point without one.

Developer: (Private)?
    - The developers hub for exchanging freelance and studio information, resources and job openings.
    - Tutorials and techniques for developing on the iPlatform and it's peripherals.
    - News lettering to the developers and industry happening and trends.
    - iDevelopers Group meetings, notes and functions.

Forums:
    Wow, why change the forum?

10. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    No offence but I think it was Zandog's looks magazine like. Me no likey. Sorry; its good but no thanks.

11. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Wow Zandog, I think it looks nice!

12. dsMediaLabs

dsMediaLabs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Touch Arcade Design Comp

Here is a simple design update that would be pretty easy to implement based on your current layout.
    [​IMG]

13. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    @dsMediaLabs that looks awesome!!!!:eek:

where's arn?!! implement this NAO!!!

14. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Dsmedialabs

BEA utifull!:)

Wauw.

15. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I like zandog's look better... But I think the site needs to has some sort of emphasis on the iPhone part. So that new users will know it's an iPhone gaming site

16. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Which one is Zandogs? the one above is pretty cool, It'd be nice to change things up a bit here:D

17. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    #17 Zandog, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  18. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    WOW! I can;t believe how much work wen t into making these. I prefer Dsmedialabs for now, but as the site grows and more news come out Zandogs should end up taking over. just awesome:eek:

19. dsMediaLabs

dsMediaLabs Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Zandog

Awesome site design Zandog, i agree with pablo19, as the site grows more information will be needed, and come-on now, TouchArcade is most surely gonna grow... It Rocks !!!

20. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    but as it is now, I believe your desing should be implemented before Zandogs. The site does need to grow but I don't want to have the same news on the main page for more than 4 days, which I think would be likely. If Zandogs desing is implemented arn and blakespot will need some help IMO.