GameClub Incoboto (by Fluttermind)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Managing director, artist, musician, programmer, d
    U.K.
    Wow. That was astonishingly quick! Caffeine FTW! Glad you liked it.

2. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Hahaha, yeah I have to say it's been a while since a game has drawn me in the way Incoboto did. The writing in the game is superb, and the puzzles are so well designed. The game was a joy to play from start to finish, and I would love to play a sequel. ;)

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I wish more iPad developers would come to this realization. Bastion and Incoboto are just two recent examples of titles that have translated so very well to the smaller screen, in spite of initially being deemed impossible or unfeasible to port.

(It is strange how developers of titles and genres that usually translate very well to the iPhone, such as (atmospheric) puzzle platformers, sometimes seem to think their particular games are unportable, while other developers bring truly challenging ports, such as competitive online military shooters, twitch-based space simulation MMOs, 4X games and first-person online tower defense RPG MMO hybrids, without a second forethought.)

The game itself is just wonderful. Anyone with an interest in platforming, puzzles or storylines would probably enjoy this.

4. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Well, in my case it was simply because the spaces between critical objects was so large. I didn't see how I could do that without making Inco about 4 pixels high on the screen.

What I didn't account for was that NOBODY CARED. That is a hard, hard point to get your head around when internet interactions have convinced you that the world is looking for reasons to hate your game, you, and your mum*.

*Mine's actually quite nice.

5. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Yea, who gives a shit? The stupid game purists are the most vocal, and even they probably wouldn't notice Inco's position compared to the iPad version. But again, even if they cared, it's such a small number of complainers that love to complain.

I didn't buy this for iPad in hopes of an iPhone 5 version would eventually be released - and it's just great.

6. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #406 SumoSplash, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    In the PunchQuest thread, the first request I made was to change it from 'punchquest' to 'PunchQuest.' This is a big pet peeve of mine, when beautiful games come out on beautiful iPhones and are titled using lower case letters and ellipses. No offense, but it looks unfinished and unprofessional. If this is titled 'incobotomini' when I buy this, the first thing I will do is come back to this thread and request it as being changed to 'IncobotoMini.' DARI...URST? Reckl...acing? Come on... Both the app icon and how a game is titled are reflective of the game's presentation.

Moreover, having 'mini' in the title could possibly imply that it is an abbreviated version of the original, making it hurt ratings. This is honestly what I thought at first, that it was possibly a lesser content version, until I realized it was just titled this way in reference to the smaller screen.

If this game is exactly the same as the original, then you really have no worries keeping it titled as simply 'Incoboto.'

7. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    I'll sort out the name in a future release, if I can figure out how to without having to remove the project from the App store (never done it before - I can write my own physics, but dealing with administration makes my brain hurt).

A name change will not be in the current update. I only heard that people hated the long name after it was already sent for review, and a crash-bug takes precedence.

As for not going with just 'Incoboto'... well, it was considered. But there *are* some minor differences (for performance), and I didn't want anyone accusing me of cheating them by not making them *absolutely* identical. Furthermore, because I didn't write it with iPhone in mind, it seemed more honest.

BeMuse will be Universal when it comes out - providing I'm not lured away to pure, full-on PC/Mac indie.

8. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Dene,

In my opinion, very subtle differences between the iPhone and iPad versions are not enough to justify a change in the name. If it is nearly identical, I'd keep it. The small few who would accuse you of anything can go pound sand.

9. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Okay - finally tracked down an issue causing problems for some people.

If you are not logged into Game Centre, the iPhone/iPod version of Game Centre may try to present a screen that crashes the game!

The workaround is: LOG IN TO GAME CENTRE!

The actual fix is with Apple now and will probably be up by the end of next week!

Thanks again for your patience.

The downside of being a one-man team is that all of the testing comes down to you, and playing your own game a million times isn't quite enough if you miss a case like this!

10. Satsooma

Satsooma New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Stuck..

Hi

I'm stuck on the same star piece! I think it must have something to do with the three dials on high platforms, because I can't reach them (should I have the jetpack by now?) but I can't get anywhere near the top star piece, I use an exploding charge ball to get me up to the see saw thing, but can't get up to the star piece??

Please help...

PS - Love the game, looking forward to Bemuse

11. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    I recently got an iPad mini, and I've had this game on my wish list since then. Your comment (and honesty) just made me buy it. Thanks!

I wish more devs would do this.

12. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Two days later the game drops to $0.99

:p

13. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    LOL I'd be a little upset if that had happened. :p

14. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    All done. All working. Thank the Elder Gods for that.

15. Dietcokeman

Dietcokeman New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    #415 Dietcokeman, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    How do I get this one?

image.jpg
    How do I get this?

Thanks

Got it. Cheers.

16. BullwinkleJ

BullwinkleJ Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I hope this patch works for me, but I have to say that I am logged into Gamecenter, but the game is still crashing like crazy all over Gateway Station.

I hope you didn't put your stock in Cthulhu too soon.

17. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    #417 Dene, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    Okay - I just put my rather amazing brother, Simon (was lead coder on Dungeon Keeper and all the Fable series), on the case and he spotted something in my code that might well cause problems for some people on some iPhones. I'm doing a playthrough now to make sure that it's all still working, but so far everything looks *very* good.

I really should look at hiring more people at some point...

[Edit: Update. Solid as a frickin' rock... or Cthulhu's big toe.]

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yay! Now you're speaking my language. Iä!

19. Dene

Dene Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    U.K.
    Fhtagn, man. Fhtagn all the way to R'lyeh and back.

20. Joelatics

Joelatics New Member

Dec 15, 2012
    #420 Joelatics, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    SunShine

Hey guys,

Struggling on 34 star foods - the 35th is visible but too high to reach by jumping, and I can't figure out how to turn on the anti-grav that I think I'm stood on!

Tips appreciated :)

[​IMG]