Adobe cs4

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by The prez 12521, Feb 11, 2010.

1. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    #1 The prez 12521, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
    Hello All!

Well i just downloaded flash and photoCHOP! (photoshop) and am debating, should i get more of the suite? Illustrator/Dreamweaver/After Affects/etc? I want to build iphone art and games art as well as some flash and stuff like that.

Is it worth spendind the money for those?

And are there any good online tuts available? thanks!

FYI, i downloaded a trial version

2. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I would use Illustrator if I were you. We use illustrator for all of our games, and it works better because we can re-scale an image to any size at any time if we really have to. We don't really use photoshop because then we are limited to the adjustments we can make afterwards.

3. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    all right. ill look something up :D are there possibly any free alternatives?

4. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    also whats good for pixel art?

5. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    When you say 'downloaded' Photoshop, you mean you bought it, right? You can get into serious trouble if you use pirated software for profit.

Inkscape is a freeware vector art program; I think that's what Illustrator is, but I'm not sure.

GIMP is a freeware Photoshop clone; works great and we've used it in all of our games to date.

Pixen is a good pixel editor for Mac, but it's kinda buggy. It crashes a lot, but has perfect crash-recovery of your files so it's just an annoyance. TBH, I ended up just using GIMP instead for pixel art because Pixen seemed to be messing with the Hex values of the colors I chose. It's absolutely worth having tho; it has some great pixel-y features than make up for it all, like the ability to view an image tiled as you draw it.

6. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Im never going to use these for profit. And no, im currently running a trial but im not a developer, im just looking for some fun :D

7. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    I really like drawing on fireworks. Out of all of adobe's software, it's my favorite. I think it's the best for drawing and art. :D

8. thothling

thothling Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    creative suite has a trial version, 30 days free.
    You should download it and find out if you really need it.

9. mpcovcd

mpcovcd Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Im not a designer by any means so take my advice as a grain of salt. But I absolutely LOVE using Macromedia (adobe now ugh) fireworks, I feel its one of the best image editing software out there. I tried getting into photoshop but I cant stand using the interface for more then 2 minutes.

10. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Dreamweaver or InDesign won't be very useful as they're aimed at print and web designers.

I believe you'll get a lot of use from Illustrator (vector drawing) and/or Photoshop. And I do think you can get a lot of use from After Effects too; it'll allow you to make complex and impressive animations and animated graphics that you can use for intro videos in the games, or all sorts of little things.

But there are also lots of open source, free, or cheap alternatives out there - just start googling and go from there.

11. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom