Unlockable IAP or Paid/Lite Version?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jdragoon19, May 5, 2011.

?

Unlockable IAP or Paid & Lite Versions?

1. Unlockable IAP

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Paid/Lite Versions

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. I don't really care...

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Which would you rather want? If you were going to buy a game, would you rather want a game where you play a little bit of the game and you have to buy the IAP to play further into the game? OR... would you rather want to have a lite version and paid version where you would have to download 2 different versions on your idevice (if you were to buy both versions)?

2. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    lite and paid. IDK why, just used to it I guess. :D Partly cause if you just want the lite, you still have to have the full version's file size on your device. I don't mind the IAP model though, but I feel less compelled to buy it for some reason.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Lite and paid. PF pretty much has the right idea on why.

4. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    This has been asked many times, and I think most people including me would want a full, paid version, and a lite version. Many, including myself will buy IAP to unlock games if necessary. I never do consumable iaps or remove ads. A good percent like the IAP to unlock since they do not lose their progress. In my opinion, progress in lite versions is so minimal most of the time (like in gameloft games) it does not really matter.

5. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Thx for ur opinions guys :)

6. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I'm also for lites and separate full versions. Many reasons have already been stated as to my opinion.

7. alain91

alain91 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Most of us prefer paid and lite version. But for the matter of iTunes ratings and ranking, developers might consider IAP more than to release sperate two verions.

8. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    I like Paid/Lite versions. I could backup it. I don't trust gameloft/whatever's servers.

Plus, it is easier to see sales. I could just glance and see this game is $1.19, with IAP purchase I have to go click on the app, 'Top In App Purchases', and see the price.

9. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    I like paid/lite versions too. For example: I bought Puzzle Quest part 1-3 via inApp, but the lite icon never changed!

10. Tikicobra

Tikicobra Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Lite/paid is much better, especially since I've seen a lot of sales in which the full version drops in price and the IAP in the lite version doesn't.

11. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #11 Dazarath, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
    Paid/lite, but the paid better have all of the content from the lite.

Here are a couple reasons (neither of which is a deal breaker):
    1) If a game gets pulled and I only have a copy saved in iTunes, but I have removed it from my device to save space or something, then that would suck.
    2) Sometimes games "forget" that you've purchased an IAP. For a non-consumable IAP, the solution is to attempt to re-purchase it. This could be really annoying if you don't have internet access at the time. If the app gets pulled at some point and this happens, well too bad.

12. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I also prefer paid/lite versions. I know you can always "restore" IAP for non-consumable IAPs, but its always a very uncomfortable process. Its not as bad if apps have a "restore IAP" button. But for others without that option, you have to go through the buying IAP process again, and hope iTunes won't charge you again. Perhaps if IAP app contain a "restore IAP" button, I'll feel less uncomfortable.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I like IAP because you can continue where you left off once you decide to buy and there's no need to download another app. We just need Apple to make free downloads mandatory, and then list the price of the unlock in the app store as the apps price - it would never be listed as free, because *everything* would have a free limited trial download.

14. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Paid/Lite and preferrrably no IAP. Don't get me wrong, I wil buy IAP addons and updates if they add to the game like extended story line plus new chapters to an already complete game. I won't however buy things that will give me in game advantages like virtual currency.

15. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Paid/lite. If the game gets pulled or IAP changed you still have your copy saved on your iTunes. Big argument for such preference is Glu. They have decided not to support their old games anymore so they just pulled them out of App store. I still have the glyder games, so can still play them ( in theory), providing that future iOS will have backward compatibility. If those games were IAP - forget it.

16. Merrykazi

Merrykazi New Member

Re

It is discontinued in north America and people still want it. The lowest used price i have seen is $50. I think i am going to sell mine on Ebay or Amazon,