3rd Gen onwards games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, May 22, 2011.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I'm toying up whether to upgrade my ipod touch from a 2nd gen.

I'm just looking for persuasions-in terms of games that are 3rd gen+ only.

Two very convincing ones are Order & Chaos, and the great little war game. What others are there?
    Thanks in advance.

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well is there a need for this? Like every game can work on the IPod Touch 3rd Gen aslong as Is it a 16gb+ device and is on IOS 4.1+

3. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Apologies I specifically mean only3rd gen onwards games.

4. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    He's thinking of upgrading his 2nd gen device.

I would say, if your only reason is those 2 games. Then just wait. If you want to upgrade because of say improved performance, extra storage space, retina display, face time chat, etc... Then go for it. Most of the people on here with 4th gens upgraded from 2nd gens so they can tell you their experiences. More and more games are being released that are 3rd only and up, so the amount of games like that is only going to grow.

The rule of thumb with Apple is to wait as long as possible to buy a new device. They are so hush hush that no one knows when new devices are to be released. So it is always better to wait for the new device and get that right when it comes out, unless you NEED a new device. Rumors are that Apple will not be releasing a new iPhone/iPod touch this summer, but you never know they could surprise us. The iPhone/iPod Touch 5th gen will probably come out sometime in the next year. But that is just a guess.

5. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

If there aren't that many games that you want and don't work on your device I'd say wait for the 5.th gen, wich will most likely come in early september. Since it'll probably be alot faster it won't be outdated nearly as soon as the current generation.

But some other games that are (mostly) good and only work on 3.rd gen and up:
    [inseart list of games gameloft made/is making this year]

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'd say if you can get a 3rd or newer for quite cheap go ahead just make sure it's 32gb or higher so you don't end up with the second model again. I can play all the newer games very smoothly on the 3rd gen 64gb probably best to try and pick up a 4th if possible though just for retina and the cameras.

I do think the fifth gens will seriously outclass all the current devices when they release, I think roughly about the same spec wise as ipad 2 which I think is a lot more impressive than any games have shown yet.

7. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    I'm saying wait for the 5th gen, as you have waited to long for the 4th.

(me personally, I'm waiting for the iPhone 5 this summer so the iPhone 4 goes on sale.)

(because I have a 2nd gen, and my phone sucks.)

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    There really aren't that many games that require the newer generations. Infinity Blade, Puzzle Quest 2....uhhh. That's really all that comes to mind right now. I have both a 4g and 2g ipod touch and the 2g can run 99% of my 500 app library (which includes a lot of the latest releases).

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Wait for the fifth generation. It's too late in the year to upgrade now. If Apple follows their usual release pattern, we'll be seeing the new device roll around in under four months. The fourth generation is a HUGE step up from the second one (I would know, had the second gen. for over a year and a half before I got the fourth gen. when it came out, skipped the 3rd), but I guess you might as well wait for now.

10. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    ah thanks for the advice all- I'll wait for the 5th gen.