iTunes 12.7 and app backups for PC?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by gamingaficionado, Sep 29, 2017.

1. gamingaficionado

gamingaficionado Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    hey! so how are you backing up your apps on pc wih the new itunes? are you using another program?

this sucks because what if an app disappears from the appstore? how are we supposed to have a digital backup on our drive for later use? what about families with one itunes and multiple devices? are they supposed to download updates on every single device? what about not having internet connection to download a game?

i cannot comprehend the logic behing this shitty move.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I can't either but I've come to terms with it. It's just Apple being Apple.

3. gamingaficionado

Aug 9, 2017
    thanks for chiming in.

i accepted that my WHOLE ebook library got erased even though i had spent HOURS tweaking titles, authors' names, book covers. i am now rebuilding it from the ground up on caliber. 800+ ebooks.

but apps?? seriously this is so messed up. if apps didn't get removed without notice then i wouldn't have had problems. but i have apps that i have downloaded, never touched but still reassured that they're "there" when i come around to them. now i am forced to waste some precious space on my device to keep them on it.

and what if they get removed eventually like the 32 bit fiesta? all our money down the drain.

sorry for whining but i have very strong feelings towards my hobbies (reading and gaming), and to see myself and other customers ####ed over with a shrug and a "get used to it" seems like an insult.

4. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    It is pure lake of consideration of the small percentage of the customers like us... My long story with Apple is getting to a near end.

5. gamingaficionado

Aug 9, 2017
    for real? ughh

the ONLY thing still keeping me with them is the fact that many games launch a lot sooner on ios, the achievements, and the fact that a lot more devices are supported compared to android which is far more fragmented.

i loved the fact that itunes centralized everything digital in my life: from books, to games, to music. i just spent the last hour reorganizing my whole ebooks library on caliber and it's such a waste of time.

do you really think we are a small percentage? many ebook readers for example must be fuming.

6. Jean pierre

Mar 24, 2017
    I also have a big backlog of ebooks but fortunately I have been using Goodreader to manage them + a copy in Dropbox and my PC.
    If you are on IOS 11, you can install IFile and use the "document" folder to store safely your ebooks and whatever you want. There is a video tutorial on FCE365 website.
    Trusting itunes to manage your documents is a foolish for me.

7. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    I have all my ebooks on Calibre. I don't buy from iTunes because of the DRM. All my books have had DRM removed. I use iPad mini as my ebooks reader. Calibre is a great FREE programme, worth having a PC just for that one programme. I have many thousands of ebooks, spent hours organising them. I also read a few#

All my apps are still in the library as per before 12.7, just not visible in iTunes. If you install an older version they will come back. You can drag and drop apps from explorer ti iPad/iPhone just can't see the icons. I'm pretty sure books will also still be in you computer library, just not visible with 12.7. I have had my iTunes library, music and apps, on a portable drive for about 18 months now. Luckily I have an older version of iTunes on a second PC so I can access the apps as before. I've checked and new purchases still update, as well as all my older purchases, when I use the older iTunes and click check for updates. I believe that it's only the music sync that needs to be done from the same PC to avoid rebuilding library on the iphone. I've never had any issues with apps, although I now tend to purchase direct to device then download overnight to my PC about once a fortnight.

12.7 is much better handling the music side of things now, I can sync in a couple of minutes where as before I had to keep cancelling backup.

8. gamingaficionado

Aug 9, 2017
    thank you for chiming in! i spent all my weekend tweaking and updating my library on caliber. 400 books.

like you, i purchase legit kindle books and strip the drm because i want to own that shit fully.

also rocking an ipad mini 1 currently (looking into a new ipad to install all of the games i have since apple also ####ed us over apps and i am scared to lose games i really wanna play.

like you (also lmfao) i have everything backed up on a couple of external hard drives, however i am worried about the long term. like, yes, our apps before 12.7 are there but what's next? for the next few years? we just have to deal with this crap sadly. honestly apple is frustrating nowadays.

9. Jean pierre

Mar 24, 2017
    i bought only 1 ebook from Kindle but the book is not in pdf format in my ipad, just sliced and crypted. Do you think I can create a pdf with Calibre?

10. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    What happens if you have iOS 9, and you use iTunes 12.7 to sync/backup? Will the 32 bit apps disappear, or will they remain on your device since iOS 9 is installed?

Thank you for any help.

11. Jean pierre

Mar 24, 2017
    It is getting harder and harder to keep safe our files. For the pdf files, the greatest danger is not the DRM but the evolution of the PDF reader softwares.

12. gamingaficionado

Aug 9, 2017
    i honestly donno how to strip drm from ibook. it's vastly different than amazon which is super easy with caliber. i think ibook's harder and maybe impossible. hopefuly someone can respond to you (if not why not make a topic on reddit since they're always helpful there).

if ios 9 is still installed on your device, i don't think anything will happen to your apps already installed on your device. the important thing is to keep the ios9 and not update it. itunes is just the platform that manages your media. at least that's my understanding of it all.

13. Jean pierre

Mar 24, 2017
    I don't think the new version of itunes will skip the 32bits apps during synchro or backup. All your apps which were on your device will be still there. The only problem is for the 32bits apps which were on your purchases list but not in your device.

14. gamingaficionado

Aug 9, 2017
    what are pdf readers evolving into? i am completely ignorant on that front.

15. Jean pierre

Mar 24, 2017
    First bad move will be the incompatibility between PDF created with a soft A and another one generated by a soft B. There will be also DRM mechanisms like the ones in Windows media player. Retro-compatibilty will be also a problem : soon or later your old PDF won't open with recent PDF readers.

16. gamingaficionado

Aug 9, 2017
    nooo! for real?? what the heck? i have like 33 pdf books over 400 and they are books i scanned by hand because they are rare. so people cannot make their own pdf to use? seriously what is up with these people?