Universal Supermagical (by Gala Pocket)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TheFrost, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Yup!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Damn, can't find the second one :)
    Thanks you for making the game!

BTW...after completing the game are you free to wander and try to 3 star each stage/ammass money/buy everything?

3. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    I left the first world to explore the second one, now I can't get back!?
    I hadn't gotten all the upgrades I need from the shop.
    I assumed you could freely explore.
    Is there no way to get back?? If that is true then please redesign it. I should be able to play any part that I've already beaten, and go back to any shop to purchase things after I've saved up enough.
    Please help!

4. Kikekun

Kikekun Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Artist
    Yes, of course you can go back to the first world. Just go to the passing stage and press the travel button.

Unfortunately there is an annoying bug right at the ending of the game where the game freezes, so you won't be able to keep playing until you clear that stage. We submitted the update to Apple last week, so we hope it won't take much to get approved. Fingers crossed!

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Beautiful game, but I'm not really feeling it overall.

Map movement is really annoying: why can you only move one spot at at time?
    I'm also not a big fan of needing a key, but not having a clue where to locate it (the game doesn't give an exploration vibe where you might expect that).

My biggest gripe, though, is the shop system. I really can't imagine why it was structured this way. If I don't buy something when I first find it, I have to remember where it was? And if I buy all the spell components I see, I figure I won't have enough at the end of the continent. Later on, if I want to find a component I passed up, I have to move around the map one space at a time checking all the shops to find it? Doesn't sound like much fun.

6. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Of course, but I will never, ever understand the appeal of iAPs. It makes no sense. People will dump $20 into a game that is F2P, but will shun games that lack iAPs and weigh in at $6.99. It's a psychological mystery.

7. _syd

_syd Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Italy
    Thanks a lot and thanks to other users that answered my question :)

8. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Thank you so much! I was being stupid...dont know why I couldn't figure that out.

Both of the gripes you have (map movement and shop setup ) are alleviated by upgrades in game. You need to work for it , but the Dragon let's you fly over to any city and another upgrade let's you view the items in any shop.
    Personally, I like it. I'm an old-school RPG'er and I like that you can't immediately insta travel anywhere and that that ability is linked to an actual game element you work for.
    The map itself is gorgeous and a work of art , with sumptuous details. Having to "walk" from city to city at first allows you to enjoy the scenery.
    Again if you don't like it, just play the game and save up enough for the dragon. If you are impatient or just not that good , then you can choose to spend a little more via IAP on a .99 cent game that is easily worth 5x that price.

9. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Earlier I questioned why folks were finding this grindy. Well not much longer after I posted, mid way into the second major area of the game, it got challenging and is requiring grinding for me. I still think it is an excellent game, but the balance is trying to encourage either the grinding or extra IAP purchases like other folks have said here. It is not enough of my type of game play for me to spend to additional money on, so I doubt I will play it much longer. I am sure there is much more to see and it is a bit of a shame. In any case, the game is beautiful and I got my bucks worth.

10. paulf58

paulf58 Member

Jul 15, 2012
    IAP?? I bought this thinking it was the full game. ARG. Why must the app store be filled with annoying half games?

11. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Because only a very few developers can make money by selling games for 99 cents.

12. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    ...aaaand therefore should probably find another line of work, if they rely on the revenue from their ios game sales as their sole source of income.

When once there where few, now there have been tens of thousands of games released for ios. Of couse only a few will make enough money to warrant a full-time job.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Wait. You're complaining that you don't like their pricing model and you would be better off if they stopped making games altogether? How exactly does that make you better off?

14. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I have to agree... Bought it, played it, deleted it after I realized it was designed to be an intentional grind. The gameplay is fun, but not fun enough to grind at the pace the game dictates. I would have preferred to pay more for a balanced game with no IAP. But I guess I am in the minority market too; a market where folks don't like to buy games over .99¢ but are willing to dump money into IAP. I prefer to pay for the game upfront and not plunk quarters into the "machine". I lived through that era in the 70's, 80's and part of the 90's to see it die off and now pop up on my game consoles and portable gaming.

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    No, I think he is saying that the market is saturated as is, so it needs a little thinning out. The fact that every developer that hits the app store thinks they are somehow going to make money is unrealistic. I can tell you firsthand having worked for several app developing companies (both in game development and other categories) that this is a unrealistic mindset. If big companies that do this as a business know it is a risky environment, one would assume that a independent developer would as well.

The problem currently is that we have a California gold rush mentality happening on the app store, in which every developer with an app thinks they can use the same business model (IAP) and be successful with it. The problem is that this model does not work with all game types and when applied poorly can feel to lessen the game experience by creating artificial hurdles and pacing limitations (among other things). There is a fine line to walk between truly addictive gameplay and that compulsory feel to buy IAP and, well, not.

16. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    This one is better than most, in that regard. It's very well worth the entry price. This is a big, high quality app.

17. soundofdesign

soundofdesign Member

Aug 28, 2012

Wait, so because I'm a new user and because I happen to think all the whining about IAP is ridiculous, you are implying I'm a plant for the developers? LOL. I'm just a guy playing a game that is far better than the $.99 sticker price who is tired of seeing entitled whining. Remember when you bought a console? Then a game? And then after about $300, maybe you liked the game or maybe you didn't? At no point have games ever been free, but the App Store has created this entitled illusion that because you bought an iPhone or iPad that everything else is part of the deal. It's not. The developers that bust their asses making these games have to make money also. And the irony here that is making me speak up is that this is one game that does not, in any way, actually require your to buy coins via IAP.

18. soundofdesign

soundofdesign Member

Aug 28, 2012
    You are missing my point. This game is perfectly playable without grinding or IAP. If you are even sort of decent at the game, you can build enough coins easily. But wait, there's more. To your point... if you are NOT very good at the game, you can still repeat levels to earn coins. As many times as you want you can do this. And, if neither practicing or grinding are your thing, you can cut corners and buy coins. If you have skill, you don't need time or money. If you have time, you don't need skill or money. If you have money, you don't need skill or time. You cannot possibly complain about this. There's three ways to play the game exactly like you wish. But you can't say "if I can't afford IAP and I'm not good enough to earn better coins, then the game is broken" because in that case you can just grind. It's a flawed argument.

19. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm with you mate :cool: Too bad that AppStore and Devs are taking IAP's route lately . Really lame. Grow some balls, make a good game, and charge me for it $5/6/7/10 . Seriously.

20. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Of course anyone can complain about anything they don't like. Everyone's individual preferences are valid (they are their own preferences, after all), so if they think they don't like it then they are correct that they don't like it. Many people would prefer the game if they didn't have to pay or grind to unlock each subsequent stage. Thus there's every reason for them to complain they don't like that. Of course, other people will like it, and there's every reason for them to praise it. Everyone can just choose for themselves what they like.