Solstice Arena (by Zynga) coming soon! [Universal]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Team Solstice, May 22, 2013.

1. Team Solstice

Team Solstice Well-Known Member

Hi everyone - we’re excited to share some details on Solstice Arena, a mobile MOBA that we (a bunch of guys and gals from Trion Worlds and formerly from A Bit Lucky) have been working on since we joined Zynga few months back.

We like to call Solstice Arena a “speed MOBA,” 3 vs. 3, quick 10 min. play sessions with three game modes: Solo vs. A.I., Co-op vs. A.I. and Player vs. Player (no minions). Check out the trailer + screens below and let us know any questions (aside from the release date).

Thanks!

-Team Solstice

Teaser Trailer: (best viewed in 1080p!)

Screens (Universal App):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

App Description:

Enter the Solstice Arena™, a fast-paced, real-time action fighting game that is available anywhere you go.

Experience epic battles in the world’s first Speed MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena)!
    Form alliances and fight together in 3 vs. 3 combat.
    Hone your skills as you battlealongside friends, taking on players from around the world (PvP mode) or facing challenging bots (co-op or single-player mode).

CUSTOMIZE YOUR HEROES
    Build your Hero your way. Pick up the recommended items for each Hero or completely customize to suit your play style. As you level up, spend your upgrade points to enhance your abilities and find your advantage in battle!

MASTER THE FIVE DISCIPLINES OF SOLSTICE
    Choose a Hero from the Sun, Moon, Earth, Iron, or Void discipline. Get to know the different hero attributes. Play to your team’s strengths to win!

ONGOING CONTENT RELEASES
    New Heroes, new Skins, and new Abilities! There will always be something new to master!

FOLLOW US at
    http://www.solsticearena.com
    http://twitter.com/SolsticeArena
    http://www.facebook.com/SolsticeArena

Works with iPad 2, iPad with RetinaDisplay, iPad mini, or iPhone 5.
    Requires iOS 5.1 or later.
    In-game text is in English.

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    oh man I thought it was the NES game. :p

3. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Its out... Fantastic mobile MOBA. VERY good looking graphics and gameplay...trumps Gameloft's attempt in just about every way. Of course you have your IAPs...thats to be expected. Some gamers might be unhappy about the fact that you can purchase ingame currency to level up your characters. The classes found in the game are your standard fare, Tanks,Supports,Assasins and Ranged. Some of the heroes are alittle bit of both. I found the game extremely polished. Looked and ran very fluidly on the New iPad. Hoping more heroes be added.Currently there are like...10ish?

4. Team Solstice

Heya!

We're glad you are enjoying the game, and thanks for playing! We are indeed out in certain territories now. We are huge MOBA fans ourselves, and are super excited to bring the first Speed MOBA to iOS. We're glad you have noticed the amount of polish and, quite frankly, love that we have put into Solstice Arena.

We wanted to comment on this because we know it is an important issue, especially in a PvP game. We have worked hard to make Solstice Arena not only Free to Play, but also Fair to Play. To this end you actually can not buy level ups - you have to earn them, either directly via playing (XP) or with Valor which is also earned by playing the game. Gems (purchased) can be used to unlock Heroes (which you can also unlock with earned Valor) and Skins (which have no power advantage, but if we do say ourselves, are very cool - we put a lot of effort into our Skins; they are not just simple re-colors).

Additionally we have Potions that last for 1 game that you can buy for Gems, but there will always be one Potion that is freely available every week - so if you don't want to spend you don't have to, and you won't be at a disadvantage.

Don't worry - there are many more Heroes designed already - I can't go into specifics, but expect to see new Heroes and Skins quite regularly. If you play Solo vs A.I. you might even get a sneak-peak at some upcoming playable Heroes ;)

- Team Solstice

5. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Constant Internet connection needed for player vs AI?

6. Team Solstice

This is a good question!

We do require an internet connection when playing vs AI, so that we can properly credit your Hero with XP and your Solstice account with Valor.

We felt that this was better for players than allowing play in 'airplane mode' but not being able to earn XP or Valor, since those are persistent on the server (btw, this also means you can log in from any device and have all your Heroes and levels available).

In the future we may look at adding airplane mode support for Solo vs AI, but we'd have to make it clear that in that mode you can't level up and earn Valor.

Thanks for playing Solstice Arena!

- Team Solstice

7. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    really no 4S support?

8. Team Solstice

#8 Team Solstice, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    We hear you!

iPhone 4S support is in the works right now (like, literally, right now) and it's looking good. We can't make any exact date promises obviously, but it is safe to say that iPhone 4S support is definitely on it's way sooner rather than later :)

We'll make sure to update this thread when it gets added!

- Team Solstice

9. ChaosProdigy

ChaosProdigy Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #9 ChaosProdigy, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Love the game and thank you developers. Some feedback and questions:

First of all is there any plans for a gem sale? Right now a skin is $12.99 which is ridiculously overpriced to many of us. I would love to support the developers and game but many, myself included refuse to pay $12.99 for 1 skin...

1. Is there options somewhere? I'm unable to tweek any settings and i do not see a movement stick joystick option? There is no way to adjust hud and move around buttons or sound options

2. I can't seem to find an automated targetting option either. Do we really have to tap someone to attack or can we set it to auto attack closest?

3. I see no ladderboards or guilds or even in game chat options? This is a huge aspect of a MObA the whole social aspect- any plans to add?

4. I find some of the classes have an unfair run speed and or skills that allow them to escape death nearly permanently if they choose to play that way. Any plans for some balancing so melee classes can actually chase better?

5. Sometimes i can not find even 1 sun or other particular rune in game for many games in a row and other times i can find literally everywhere. Is there plans to balance the types and quantities of boost items on the ground?

6. When trying to harvest a large rune or gold chest some type of visual timer in seconds would be appreciated! Many times i sit there wondering just how much longer do i need to sit there and it pauses the action- for a action MOBA as you advertise there is quite a few dull boring moments where action is interipted 3-8 seconds at a time and no visual representation on how much longer i have to stand there... Chest opening its lid is somewhat visual but still could a timer option be added?
    -Another thing that pauses action is dying waiting for long respawn and having to run back to base to heal every time! Wouldn't it make sense to add passive regeneration out of combat to help minimize running back to town?

I would love to see an option that allows us to spend in game gold to purchase creeps (mercenaries) npc bots who help charge the lane towards enemy keep because many teams just camp their towers! It is soooooo frustrating.

7. Itemization for fighters with a bow for example is confusing as there is no bow items?? Other confusion is why allow us to buy items not meant for our class? There is also no way to tell someones level in game so we can prioritize danger targets? No way to see hero overall stats with various items...

8. Any plan for a actual in game stats screen like kills, deatsh, damage dealtg, damage taken, gold spent etc? It is a MOBA after all and would give us someting to do dueing death sequenece.

Thank you in afvance for your feedback and time. Hope to hear from you soon.

10. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    How much job do your characters have?

11. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    After playing another few hours in game last night and yet another few hours this morning/afternoon i can say that as advertised "Action Moba" should really say "Action Moba with many stops to the action"

Between 30 second death respawns, stuns, slows, knockbacks and having to "harvest" runes on the ground and chests all the time, the action is stop and go, stop and go, stop and go.

Most of the time enemy will team up and you will fight 2-3 vs yourself which is just no fun because there is so many stuns, slows and knockbacks in this game you are often unable to run or even us a skill!

Furthermore, the suggested itemization is not very well done because it will buy stuff for you that is obviously not as good as other things you could get. Having to buy your stuff manually, re spawn timers that get longer and longer, harvesting stopping action and the various stuns, slows, knockbacks, silencing etc as well as unlimited range on some skills allow those players to spam their skills across the screen and slow you down/interrupt your harvesting very often. This really needs to be fixed so stuns/slows do not stack and the more you are stunned/slowed the more resistant you are to the duration of new stuns/slows which would allow you a chance to run away!??

In its current state I cannot recommend this game to others until the above is fixed. It is a test of your patience...

12. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    2-3 vs 1? Why are you running in by yourself, unless you are hamhock? You even have HoC in your forum signature, so you should know better.

And 30 second spawn times happen after 10+ minutes, so the game should be about 90% of the way through.

The guide is actually very good, as it synergizes items with your abilities and how you should be playing that character. Dawna is the best example.

13. CharliePrince

CharliePrince Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Changed my rating from 5* to 1* until solstice arena team does something against AFKers ruining matches

14. ChaosProdigy

Apr 23, 2009
    Male
    Account Manager
    Boston
    #14 ChaosProdigy, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    Glassboard.com and the IOS Glassboard iPhone app is a sort of forum boards that are quick and easy to use. We can friend each other and discuss strategy/team play and group together. Link
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glassboard/id453661198?mt=8

Think of it as the first Solstice guild.

I would like to invite everyone to Glassboard so we can communicate easier.

You can get glassboard in the app store (it's always free) and use invite code BULIC (caps don't matter)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glassboard/id453661198?mt=8

Or alternatively use your web browser at. https://app.glassboard.com/web/invitation/code/bulic

15. CharliePrince

CharliePrince Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Also Solstice team please add more generic messages other than GG in to the game like

FU
    YOU ####ING SUCK
    LEARN TO PLAY THE GAME YOU ####ING MORON
    YOU'RE ####ING HORRIBLE

etch etc cuz some of these kids are ####ing stupid and no GG is deserving to be aaid

16. Thaumite

Thaumite Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    CharliePrince confirmed for seven year old.
    As for solstice arena, it's buggy, I can't load up a single game on iPad 2.
    Support or I'll pass.