"Infraction" - pathetic and insulting policy

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by istara, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I spent time and effort today creating a comprehensive list of iPhone RPGs. It was put on a completely non-commercial, ad-free site (on tumblr, just because it was free, quick and convenient for me). I did this solely for the benefit of other RPG fans. I put a link to it on here - and wham! the thread was deleted and I got something called an "infraction point".

This is a truly pathetic policy. If I had put up a link to a commercial, non-game-related, spammy, malware ridden site then fair enough. But I didn't. The page that I created and linked to was intended to be a useful resource. It even linked back to relevant game threads on TouchArcade and other third-party sites where there was useful information about the game.

And then I was told in a private message that I could instead "paste" my work into a thread on your site!!! I mean are you joking? Do you seriously think that someone would do hard work in good faith and community spirit, be insulted and accused of "self-promotion" in response, and then give you my work for free on your own, commercial site?

You guys seriously need to take a good hard look at yourselves and your policies! Because this is absolutely pathetic.

2. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    It's pretty clear that you were self promoting your site. What does it matter where they see your work as long as people see it?

3. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Infractions are just warnings. It's in the rules that you're not allowed to link to your own site. You can put it in you sig, however. I didn't give you the infraction, but they're mainly used as warnings to let you know the rules.

4. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    I have a question about infractions, are they worth points? I noticed next to mine it says Expiration/Point Value or something like that.

Is there a certain number of points you aquire before being banned kind of like in a work place? And then do those points expire over time so that the infraction is erased after the expiration date and you lose those points?

The Expiration/Point Value just confused me a little, so I'm curious as to how the infrations work.

5. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    I was about to ask that too, an answer would be much appreciated.:D

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    It can be used in that way, but we mainly use it as a tracking system.

If someone gets multiple infractions for the same issue, then next time they may get banned for a period of time.

As for the original poster: We certainly don't expect you to paste your work into this forum. But that's your option if your true intent is to simply "spread the knowledge" as many people claim they are trying to do.

If that's not acceptable, then you are, in fact, looking to drive traffic to your site. Whether it's commercial or not, we don't allow it because it encourages more of the same.

arn

7. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I recieved an infraction because apparently, the image I posted was too big. Although it is no big deal, it would be nice if it said something about it in the forum rules (see below), it says nothing about the size of images. I presumed that if an image was too large, then it would be resized to fit the thread. However as I now know, this is not the case.

- Don't post advertisements for your blog/podcast/youtube-channel on the site. (signature links are acceptable within reason). Self promotion is strictly prohibited.
    - Developers are welcome to post app announcements, but please identify yourself as the developer
    - Only developers may post promo code giveaways.
    - Don't beg/ask for promo codes or beta testing
    - Don't insult people - if you can't keep yourself from insulting others, you don't belong here
    - Don't post multiple threads on the same topic
    - Don't post in the WRONG forum ("iPhone games" is for games only)
    - Please use a descriptive title ("Help" is not descriptive)
    - Keep threads on topic - obviously things can stray onto related topics, but we've seen threads stray into personal and irrelevant topics.
    - Don't bump threads. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump.
    - Please avoid correcting spelling and grammar. English is not the primarily language for many people, and grammar discussion does not really add anything of substance to most discussions
    - Please post in English. Despite our international audience, this is an English language site.
    - One account per user. Don't post to multiple accounts.
    - Don't post fake announcements or impersonate individuals or companies
    - Shill accounts will result in a site-wide ban of the site, product or developer
    - No piracy. Discussion about piracy in the abstract is acceptable. But links or how-to's or where to get pirated software will quickly result in banning
    - Please keep language "clean"

8. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    That was not me who gave you the infraction. But I found it quite funny :D

Lol that image was huge :eek:....although not specifically in the rules as "Don't post large images"

It could fall into the category of "- Use common sense" which is in the rules. It's kind of annoying when picture are so big they make you scroll left/right to see them :p. And people on iphones/ipod touches viewing the site would take 2X the time to load the page to see it. As well as take up a lot of unnecessary storage on the site. If everyone did that.....:rolleyes:

I'm glad to see you don't think it's a big deal :)

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Oh, I get infractions occasionally. One from arn back in the day, and one more recently from Hodapp because I fired back at CandyNJ66 after she'd be b*tching at me. Appearently, that's "Really Inappropriate Harassment". Whatever. I don't really care all that much. I don't usually repeat the same things twice, and I think that as long as I stay away from Spam City up there, I can stay out of trouble from flaming the spamming n00bs. I did hear once that you have to get 10 infractions in a week to be permanently banned? I would like to hear from arn if there is any legitimacy to that one.

10. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm not arn, but I can tell you there's no 10 infraction limit per week thing before a permanent ban.

True, at that rate, you will be high on the radar for being banned if you've found a way to get to ten without being banned already. :rolleyes:

It depends on what the infractions are for, really. If they are for all the same thing, they clearly aren't listening.

You can easily be banned for having less than 10 infractions depending on what it's for.

11. jchampl

jchampl Well-Known Member

that image was rediculous. just saying.
    :p

12. jchampl

What if VoodooVyp and I engage in a little PDA on the forums?
    If I transcribe all the lyrics to "baby got back" and post them?
    How about if I post nuddie pics of BigAl?

Will any of these result in trouble? I will make sure to post the last two in the lounge ;)
    :D :p

13. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Really? Did you see my original thread, and did you actually visit the link?

I'm not going to post it again here or even pm it to people, but if you want to email me - [email protected] - I will send you the link and you can make your own judgement.

For the record, it's a page on a tumblr blog that has only about three entries in all, has no page counter, no ads, and no commenters. It barely qualifies as a "site". I stuck the list of games there because it was a free and easy bit of web space to use. I wanted other people to find the list useful, and to give feedback so I could add other/future RPGs to the list.

I've googled "iphone RPGs" and there is no comprehensive, updated list out there. That's why I made one. It's not a vanity project, it was intended to be a resource.

14. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington

Well, Candy technically left TA, but routinely checks in to see if me or rocketman919 is banned or in time out =/

We had our signatures taken for a while for quoting candy, I believe filthycanadian hasn't gotten his back yet =P

15. jchampl

let me break it down for you real nice:

on the forums, don't post a link to your own website/blog, unless it is in your signature, it doesn't matter the content, counters, or anything, just don't do it, and you will be fine.

thems the rules......, everyone else follows them and you should too. If others don't they face the same thing you have, you are not being made an example of.

I just don't get why people get so upset about this crap, you don't pay to use this site, if someone that owns or runs the site says you can do this, why the hell do you feel you need to b & wine about it? it would be a lot easier for the person to say ok, I learned and now I'm going to be a big boy, and follow the rules as stupid as you may think they are.

16. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    @istara, I didn't see the post, but I can pretty much imagine what it was like, no ads or anything.

Not might I ask a question? If for example I stumbled across istaras tumblr page, and then decided, for the good of the community, to post a link to it, that would be allowed, Correct? As it isn't self promotion.

17. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'm sure she makes the same of me. It's stupid really. She made a thread about her sister dying. It's a games forum. Sure, it was in the lounge, but it is still grossly inappropriate here, and nobody wanted to see it. When someone posts ANYTHING, they must be open to criticism, which she obviously wasn't.

18. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    That's not what she checks back for.

Not yet.

19. jchampl

yup, as long as you are not promoting your own page.

20. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    See I find it far more spammy to put a possibly commercial, possibly irrelevant site at the bottom of every post, than to one-off announce a site of specific interest created for the community.

Just because something is policy doesn't mean it isn't a stupid, wrong and crappy policy, and that the people implementing it in such a draconian fashion aren't stupid to do so.

Moderators should operate with discretion and intelligence, not just blindly follow policy that acts - at least in this instance - against the interest of site members.

But I guess you're either a dumb sheep or not, and dumb sheep are usually happy being that way.