Does a crossword puzzle game like this exist?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by McAlsop, Jun 10, 2011.

1. McAlsop

McAlsop Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Does anyone know of a co-op crossword game that you can like play over Bluetooth or wifi? Basically like so my wife and I can be sitting with our own iPhones and playing the same crossword puzzle, then when one of us fills one in, it shows up on the others puzzle?

Thanks for any help!

2. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Why would you both want to be doing it together? Would you not prefer a game like "Words With Friends"?

3. McAlsop

McAlsop Member

Jan 24, 2009
    We just like to play the same crossword. We currently do it by looking at the same screen, but its kinda hard with the small device...

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    You might be able to do it on a program like Share Board - you'll have to see if you can import an image and/or scroll around. There are other collaborative drawing apps that might be better, but this is the only one I've played with.

Send a PM to rumsoft - they developed CRUX which is a great crossword app, and the developer is here and active (and friendly!:)) They might be able to incorporate a co-op mode.

I know my wife would play more games with me online if there were more co-op games, and if she did crosswords, I could see her playing this way. We'll sit and play 7 Words together, online we mostly play Carcassonne with friends.

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    This would be a great idea. My wife and I do the same thing - look at the same screen, but even with the iPad, it is sort of close quarters (not all bad :p), but would love to be able to work how I like to work, and let her do her own thing, but together we get the puzzle done... perfect...

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I think this would be a brilliant idea. Maybe you could even have more people than just local devices-- online collaborative crossword puzzles? :)

7. McAlsop

McAlsop Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Shoot- so it's sounding like it doesn't exist...

8. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Yes. But someone needs to jump on this idea right now!

9. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I agree with the above comments. Talk to Rumsoft via their Crux thread. They're open to suggestions.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=1766932

If you do it via the thread, other people might offer support for your idea. I think it's a great idea.

10. rumsoft

rumsoft Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2011
    We've never tried it, but there is an online cooperative crossword solver here:

http://www.teamcrossword.com/

I believe they have one new crossword puzzle per day, of unknown origin. You can also solve Matt Gaffney's weekly crossword contest puzzles there.

Cooperative and competitive online crossword solving on a shared grid has been tried a few times over the years. It's something that we've considered when brainstorming crossword apps, and it has been requested by some of our users. It's definitely a form of gameplay that we'd eventually like to take a hard look at.

However, in the short- to medium-term, we have some bigger fish to fry before we put any bets on what might end up being just a gimmick. It's a neat idea with an unknown potential market. It might even be better suited to a stand alone derivative CRUX product, rather than being integrated into CRUX itself. Maybe it's the sort of thing that would be suitable for a Kickstarter project. If there's enough interest we can certainly put a proposal together and see how it flies. A funded project is a much easier proposition to sell to developers than an unfunded one :)

11. SkyMuffin

May 24, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    As apps like Words with Friends and Hanging with Friends have proven, I think that there's definitely a market for something like online coop crosswords. You just have to jump on the idea and execute it well before anyone else does!

12. Dedalus101

Dedalus101 New Member

Jun 23, 2011
  13. pmzmdf

pmzmdf New Member

Aug 29, 2013
  14. jakehawken

jakehawken New Member

May 10, 2017
    I'm an iOS app developer and I would LOVE for a game like this to exist. If there's a lot of interest, I think I'll take a crack at it.

15. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Don't know if it satisfies, but the people that did Words With Friends have a new App Crosswords with Friends. Worth a look for sure.