Do you think Apple usually gets it right with the App Store's "Editor's Choice?"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by HarryWarden, Apr 27, 2014.

1. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Do you trust Apple and ever buy a game based on the fact that it received an "Editor's Choice" from Apple? Have you ever not liked an Editor's Choice game at all?

2. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    It depends on which country your Apple ID was.
    I use 3 different Apple ID, and mostly I agree with editors choice from US App Store, either with the New Zealand. However, not with my actual country which I live, Indonesia. When this week's editors choice goes with Leo's fortune, here in Indonesia it come with FarmVille 2... Seriously, I don't know why they choose it over Leo's fortune/ wayward souls -.-

3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

NO. Apple's editors choice is usually by one of the no brained five star sheep reviewers on IOS, with things like "Awesome," and "Great."

4. Stormourner

Stormourner Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    maybe for example EA gave Apple lots of money to put Dungeon Keeper as Editor's Choice *shrugs*

5. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Or, maybe, Apple features games that they expect to make the most money from. Being a business and all.

6. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Pretty much my take on it. How else would you explain Boom Beach and Dungeon Keeper being Editor's Choice?

7. Stormourner

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    they might gave Apple a different version of the game without timers or energies

8. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    No. No conspiracy. Just earning potential.

9. Stormourner

Jan 31, 2014
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    if I work at Apple I would find the mystery behind this

10. Nobunaga

Jun 2, 2012
    No mystery. Just money.
    I know, it's the internet and a lot of people are always looking for the hidden hand in the shadows. Most of the time, it just doesn't exist. Most often the simplest explanation is the correct one.
    Apple knows what the top grossing apps are. Free games with generally large marketing budgets. They will always feature games that are free, from companies that have money to market them. If none of these come out in a given week, they will default to other criteria that they expect will sell. No shady goings on. Just business. Very simple. No mystery.

Whether you agree with their choices is a seperate issue. Sometimes they feature what I would consider garbage. Sometimes gold.

11. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Your profile name fits your writing style. Oh wait. No it doesn't. :)

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I agree some of their choices have been very odd like the terrible Dungeon Keeper.

But do people take those choices so seriously ? I hardly ever look at iOS charts, when i do its full of freemium stuff i like to stay away from, same for editors choice. With a huge wide range of users they'll hardly every choose one game where the majority agree with it (Saying that i'm glad they featured Leo's Fortune).

But sadly the app stores a joke as in the reviews (i ignore as so many seem fake), editors choice and charts i just ignore also.

Funny seeing some dire wallpaper type app with tons of 5 star reviews as obviously they've begged/created some competition for all those reviews as they stand out like a sore thumb

13. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    In my country yes... Almost all my friends knew about 2048 game, but they didn't know Threes game. when I ask them, where do they looking for games for their iphone, they said almost all their game comes from top chart list. So, sometimes they're wondering with games on my iPad, where I got the list (since most of my games collection didn't exist on App Store Top Chart on my country)

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Interesting. Must admit i get most of my game choices from this site, enjoy seeing peoples opinions on them and theres a couple of people who have the same taste as me so i tend to buy the games they buy

15. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    That's pretty much me.
    Most weeks I don't even know what the editors choice is.
    When I got my first ios I was guilty of using those charts as a base and I naively though that because they are at the too then they must be great, but then I discovered this place and I can't remember the last time I bought a game or app from browsing the App Store listings. I'll happily blind buy a game for reviews on here, but never based on App Store reviews, they sound like those adverts where they try to make it look like real people when it's actually actors.

16. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What I would like to know is, what were thr late Steve Jobs' favourite game apps. That will surely trump any kind of editor's choice...

17. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I operate under the assumption that it's a paid slot. I assume the same for the "best of ..." lists.