Korg iMS-20 $30.00->14.99 (cheapest price ever)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'm sure this will only appeal to a very small, select number of TA members, but I thought I would give the heads up. And before anyone asks, no. This will never be free. Sigh...Looks like I'll be out of iTunes credit soon. Stupid sales! :)

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

2. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    The sad thing is I know I will never figure this out. I have the polysix; the user-friendliness takes a back seat to the authentic look.

3. monoclespectacle

monoclespectacle Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Quoted for truth.

What's your thoughts on Animoog? I've been bringing it to jam sessions and its been pretty amazing, in my opinion.

Guess I'm going to have to get this hoss while its cheap.

4. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    I don't own the Animoog, but I've seen what can be done with it. I was going to use the same term you did, amazing, especially in conjunction with other apps. One reason I haven't bought it is that there is a (cheaper) iphone version and an ipad version, and it isn't universal. Which do you have? I'm sure the ipad version is more functional (and expensive), but I'm just not sure which to go with.

Crap. All Korg apps are on sale? My problem is that IF I have over 50 bucks in my account I don't care about price, when I have less, I get more frugal. I guess it's possible more music apps will go on sale as long as SXSW is going on. Unless it ended, of course.

If I knew this sale was hitting I wouldn't have randomly bought the imini for 10 bucks, which has issues...it integrates into Tabletop, which a) is huge and b) it's monophonic in Tabletop.

Plus, Audiobus is becoming a defacto standard. It seems like halve of the quality music apps are being updated to support it, half aren't. Then you have all the apps which support WIST, Korg's tech, and a bunch of others which don't.

:sigh: First world problems, amirite? ;)

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Animoog has an iPhone version so I end up using it more than the Korg apps. :eek:

Bought the iMS-20 when it went on sale despite not having much access to an iPad. Looking foward to Poly Six... Someday.

6. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    If I had a larger capacity iphone (mine is 16 gb), I might ne more willing to buy the iphone versions. Then again, music apps can be a whole lot more functional on the larger screen...I can't inagine playing a 3.5 inch bass. ;) Now that I think about it though, it would be cool to have one.

7. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    I use animoog a lot, on ipad, it's very powerful when you understand the way it work, on the grid, and when you make your own sounds. I like especially the expression made with polypressure (not really polypressure, but finger's position on the keyboard).

But i prefer ipolysix, because of the drum, the sequencer, the effects and... Well it's more than a synth, you can do an entire song and upload it on soundcloud if you want, everything is in the app. And it's pretty easy i think, more than understanding audiobus, animoog, dm1 and another app to be able to do an entire song.

Ims-20 is great too, it can sounds very hard, but it´s monophonic, that's why i prefer ipolysix.

BTW, why korg's app are on sale? A new app is coming? An update for all of them? Or nothing special?

8. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Hmmm was looking at these but I'm pretty happy with my current set up. Audiobus, Cubaris, DM1 and Sunrizer. I sometimes like looping with loopy and figure/chordion as well. With all the games not sure I can squeeze in some Korg as great as they are :(

9. monoclespectacle

Jan 26, 2013
    #9 monoclespectacle, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    @Greyskull- Yeah I've been using the iPhone version of Animoog, which my jam mates say I look like a fool, all hunched over my phone. Alas I have started collecting iPad apps for a near-future transition.

Kind of getting hosed atm. I went with NanoStudio and they still haven't updated to work with Audiobus. Hopefully that's a change in the works.

@Pep- I've heard mixed reviews regarding the IAP in Animoog. Some of the sounds and timbres look really intriguing but I'm stuck on the fence. Especially since its so easy to just create user-specific sounds. Was wondering if you had any input on the subject?

Edit-Gawd I miss SXSW and strolling down 6th with a belly full of booze, a head full of dreams and my ears stuffed with awesome. Fun! Fun! Fun! was always a good time too.

10. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Monospectacle: I wish "serious" music app makers would just make their apps universal (or at least change the IPHONE versions to universal). Ofter it isn't just the size of the gui that changes, but features as well. Plus, with a lot of them, you can use multiple instances at the same time on different devices together.

At least I can run NanoStudio on both my iphone and ipad. As for audiobus, it's still new; give it time. Plus I'm wondering if Audiobus dev charges to include the function in apps. One thing I don't like about audiobus is that it isn't an open standard; it's a 3rd party app. If it ever gets abandoned, well...that would suck.

Plenty of ios music apps already have various 3rd party standards built in like WIST (Korg) or Sonoma Copy&Paste; not to mention Soundcloud and Dropbox. It gets awefully complicated when you start trying to figure out the best way to route sound between apps when you have so many competing options.

11. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Oh, the reason for the Korg sale is SXSW. Will they announce something new? They are there; I assume they have a reason. They could just announce new hardware like they did at NAMM for all I know. Oh, and I think the first Korg Kong was sold.

mono, to further elaborate on audiobus...you know it isn't an option in any Korg app, right?

I don't know if it's possible, but what would make a killer app would be an Audiobus style app that didn't need anything to be programmed in to existing apps. I don't know HOW Audiobus works and I still haven't bought it, mostly because, as I said, it works with only about a third of my music apps.

Oh, one important option not available on iphone apps; built into many ipad versions: Wired Midi. Quite a few ipad apps can connect to a computer or device directly using the USB ipad camera kit. This gives near zero latency.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Almost - I can do MIDI with my iPhone nestled inside my SynthStation 25. :D

Why Apple won't open up the Camera Kit to iPhones/iPods is even more ridiculous than Siri being restricted. Plugging our DSLR into our iPad for photo/video work is fantastic, I see no reason why I should be able to do the same (with the same universal apps!) via the Camera Kit. :mad:

13. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #13 chris1a, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
    Korg implemented Audiobus in all their apps quite a while ago. Developers can just get the Audiobus SDK from the Audiobus devs (it's free), and slap it on their apps. It's supposedly really easy and fast thanks to the SDK. And the way it makes it all look like it's integrated into iOS is quite cool. An un-educated guess is it works by communicating via coreMIDI and/or the help from the Audiobus SDK with other apps (when controlling an app from another app - play, rewind, rec and so on). And the audio part is just audio being bussed trough compatible apps. Apple have done some really good work with the MIDI and audio system in iOS that allows these things to work in their otherwise really closed system/OS. Obviously it's all a lot more complicated under the hood.

VirtualMIDI/CoreMIDI for MIDI, WIST for syncing devices and finally Audiobus for bussing audio are the three standards today. Audio copy/paste where available but that's a given.

About Animoog , the workflow on the iPad version is waaaay better then the iPhone version. Btw, I bought the acoustic pack and you do get 30+ presets on these packs. But what really adds to it is all the new timbres allowing all kinds of new sounds. So I'm definitely gonna buy some more IAPs. Plus I only paid 99c for the iPad version of Animoog so I feel I can spend a buck or two more on it. :p

Btw doesn't Korg do these half price things quite regularly, to climb up the charts now and then?

14. monoclespectacle

Jan 26, 2013
    #14 monoclespectacle, Mar 14, 2013
    Yeah I was browsing the Audiobus site last night and saw all the Korgs listed as being supported, so that's just another reason to get these apps while they're relatively cheap....as my bank account gently weeps.

Thanks for the Animoog feedback too, I had a suspicion the timbres would be worth it.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    People who want an even deeper modular experience from their synth should check out Audulus.

16. Pepelutin

Pepelutin Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Music teacher
    Belgium
    Monoclespectacle: like Chris1a i've got all animoog IAP, because i really love that synth. I don't spend money easily, except for good music apps, because it's so incredible having such apps so cheap! A Windows DAW or VST is so expensive, that i don't care loosing a few more bucks on ios, especially for quality music apps.
    But you're true, you can test and find yourself your own sounds in animoog. I've bought IAP only for curiosity (and i don't regret). It depends of your interest, your time and of course your wallet!

Korgs apps are audiobus compatible, but they require cpu a lot, and are quite unusable with my ipad 3 when i try to combine them with other apps. I prefer using them in stand-alone mode. And i'm quite disappointed with audiobus, because i've spend so much time waiting for it that i've come back to ableton, my virus and my octatrack. For the moment, i find audiobus a bit new to be able to use it. I'll wait a few month and try it again.

I was a great fan of beatmaker 2, but it was so long to get audiobus! Anyway, i'll give a new try, for sure.

17. monoclespectacle

Jan 26, 2013
    Much appreciation for this Pep. I'm actually about to ditch my phone and swap over to using an iPad for my band. Really helpful knowing that Audiobus isn't quite there yet.

Thanks again.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Goddamn. I want this so much but I know I'd be useless with it. Gotta resist.

19. monoclespectacle

Jan 26, 2013
    #19 monoclespectacle, Mar 14, 2013
    Going back over the thread, I like this post. I've tried my hand at copy/paste tracks with limited success between Animoog and GBand/NanoStudio but live recording through my desktop and plugging Animoog into an amplifier has yielded much better results.

So far....

And all of the Audiobus speculation is spot on. Would really be cool to see it become a standard.

Ought to trade some Soundcloud info if any of you guys have accounts. Would love to hear some fellow iOS musicians.

20. Greyskull

Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Lauderdale
    Strange. I haven't seen ANY
    documentation or setting in iPolysix regarding Audiobus. If it's in there, all the better. I guess I'll have to search through the settings more thoroughly.

Quick question: anyone familiar with iElectribe (forget the Gorillaz version)? Is it a dancy techno sorta thing? Does it offer less features than iMS-20 or Polysix, considering it's cheaper?

I've heard plenty of work done at least partially on the MS20 and polysix, but haven't encountered anything using ielectribe.