Will my lite version get rejected for this?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by micah, Dec 15, 2009.

1. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    I've heard of lite or free versions of apps getting rejected for not being complete products, or for acting disabled in some way. I'm working on the lite version of teh internets right now, and when you open it up I'm making a splash screen that says:

Would this be considered disabling part of the game or anything, or am I just being paranoid? And if so, would just rewording it help?

2. mobileben

mobileben Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Lumpy's Handler
    Zgrunturos and San Francisco
    I honestly don't know off hand. But I have heard people have been rejected for disabling buttons for features that are in the full version.

I'd think a safe way would be to use a timer. On time out, along with the GAME OVER screen, you display a message pimping out the full version.

3. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    My understanding is that apple doesn't like it when you visibly disable functionality in an application. If you changed the game to have a timer -- and then it ended when the time ran out -- that wouldn't be "disabling" the game.

Be careful not to hide/gray-out stuff though unless it's fairly obvious how you would enable it by playing further in the game.

4. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Cool, yeah nothing is grayed out or inaccessibly in the game. There's just the note that says the full version has more, and doesn't cut off gameplay like the lite version does. And although I'm not sure it's necessary, I like the idea of including a timer for when the game ends anyway. I think it'll look nicer that way.

5. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Honestly, I don't know the answer to this. I think that Flickitty Free violates about 70 different rules, but we have always been approved within 2 weeks.

Currently, Flickitty Free has these:

1) Load Screen: Buy button linking to iTunes.
    2) Load Screen: Graphic and Info stating Full Version is available.
    3) Main Menu: Dynamic Banner stating Full Version is available
    4) Main Menu: Completion Award message says 'get the full version for more awards'
    5) Completion Menu: message stating that the full version has more awards.
    6) Gear menu contains 20 boxes, 16 of these cannot be unlocked in Free Version.
    7) Map Menu contains a path, but no other regions can be unlocked.

6. jasoncitron

jasoncitron Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Founding Craftsman of Hammer & Chisel. Previously
    San Francisco
    Might wanna delete item 6 and 7 from the post in case Apple sees it and pulls your app ;-P

(probably not...)

7. From what I have seen Apple doesn't usually pull applications for violations if they sneak through. Instead it will just stop new versions from being approved until the violation is fixed (once they do notice it).

8. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    In order to be fair, I'm not going to edit my previous post. If it is deemed a violation then I will fix it- after all, I am subject to the same rules as everyone else.

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    They will probably reject it for having a time limit. I'd be very interested to hear if it doesn't get rejected though.

I wonder if you can argue that the timer is part of the gameplay. You could include a timer in the full version, but just have an option to turn off the timer that is only available in the paid version.

10. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Don't be too worried about that. Honestly, regardless of what we post, it is purely speculation.

From what you've described and having the experience of 8 approved apps on the AppStore, I would say that your LITE version would be accepted.

11. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

loads of lite versions have time limits or limits to score you can acheive

12. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I don't think it will for limits to score, I play the lite on Shotgun granny
    I do not kno any on time limits to play, if U put it across in a smart way like ngmoco did, then U can earn ZILLIONS of $$$$s :p

13. dotnext

dotnext Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Genoa, Italy
    Hi, my experience:
    Ten Squared Lite has 2 of the 6 levels available in Ten Squared.
    The first submission was rejected because the 4 unavailable levels were visible, but disabled.
    The email said:

I think they can say that your game is feature limited...

Michele

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Maybe if you just changed the wording, to something like "This Lite version of the game features a 4-minute timed level". Then it would sound more like a different mode rather than a limited version of the full mode.