Occurro! The Game of Stellar Combat ...from Acceleroto

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Acceleroto, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Acceleroto

Acceleroto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I'm the lead developer at Acceleroto & I'm happy to announce our upcoming title Occurro! It's a fast-paced 360 degree top-down shooter with piles of different enemies. It's been in development for almost four months and we have just a few finishing touches before submitting it to Apple. Please check out the pre-release teaser below. It shows some of the menus and a couple minutes of game play.

(available in HD at youTube - once they get done processing it)

Occurro! will have options for tilt & touch-anywhere motion controls. Lasers are fired & aimed by touch-anywhere controls. Bombs detonate with a double tap anywhere on the screen. Location-aware high scores are handled by Geocade.

Expect it later this month!

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    The game looks great!

Are their different weapons or upgrades to the default lasers?

3. Acceleroto

Thanks! That's actually some of the things we're still tidying up. The plan is to have laser power ups in the initial release, but the only secondary weapon will be bombs. You can get extra bombs as power ups though. There are plans for several other secondary weapons as power ups in the future - including some very fun new ideas.

The beta team has been wonderful so far. We'll continue to get things polished & ready for the masses. I'm expecting to send it to Apple in just over a week!

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have faith you may eventually have a game that stands out among the MANY top down shooters that have come out recently but I'm probably going to wait until I see a little more.

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Are you going to be including a d-pad for movement as well for those who may not want to use the accelerometer?

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The bottom of the first post says there will be options for Accelerometer and touch anywhere controls for motion.

So it should feel a lot like Dropship

7. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I didn't know whether the "touch anywhere controls" meant literally touch where you want the ship to go or a d-pad type thing...

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I think they are using the same as the shooting control

Place your thumb down anywhere and use it like a virtual joystick. That's only my guess though.

I hope it's not a d pad cause then we wouldn't get the subtle thrust control like the accelerometer. But there is definitely a control scheme there for those that don't like to use their accelerometer much (me being one for the battery savings)

9. Acceleroto

We definitely realize that some people prefer touch controls over tilt. So, you'll have the option to select either touch or tilt controls for motion of your ship. The default setup for touch controls will be lasers on the right side (as seen in the video) and motion on the left. There won't be a static d-pad though. Whenever you place your finger (I use my thumb) on the screen, that place becomes the new center of your direction control.

The motion control works just like you see the laser control working in the video. This seems to be a very popular method of control...I like it!

10. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Ah, okay, thank you for the clarification. I look forward to seeing your game come out.

11. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    This looks extremely similar to 2079. I had been wondering what the guys behind the great Air Hockey had been up to recently.

12. Acceleroto

It's in the same genre, but has some fun twists that are different. The beta testers REALLY like several of the extra little things in Occurro! I'll give a more detailed run down once release is about to happen. I don't want to spill all the beans - you know!?

For one, I think our tilt control is much nicer than anything I've seen in this genre. I threw some of my aerospace engineering mojo at designing a good flight control system for the ship. Some people will, of course, prefer touch control - but the tilt control in Occurro! is very nice (if I may say so ;))

:D It's been busy! We started another game before Occurro! After about 4 months of work it was at about the 90% stage. It relied on some technology that just wasn't ready for what we wanted to do with it. So, that game's on the shelf for now & the first early prototype for Occurro! was running in February. It's been nothing but Occurro! development since then.

(Well, I've also done lots of dabbling with 3.0 features for Air Hockey...)

13. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Dudes, I just played Occurro, and it is totally sweet. I'm not even the space-shooter type, but blowing stuff up is so satisfying in Occurro. Definitely a must-buy.

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You guys might want to do some sort of officious cross promotion, I always find it kind of cool when a dev can give a heads up to another dev without any sort of financial incentive (your two genres are far enough apart it wouldn't be like recommending the opposition as it were). Like the guys behind Globs and 30 and Dirty did.

15. Acceleroto

Thanks @nattylux! I really appreciate it. I've been showing other devs here at WWDC & it's great to get expert feedback - and it's great to see people like it.
    I was lucky enough to play Harbor Master and it's fantastic. It has some very fun twists to the genre along with great graphics & sound. Everyone needs Harbor Master. :D (...gotta post this in the Harbor Master thread)

Once WWDC is over, I'll put the last polish on Occurro! and get it to Apple. I'm extending my beta team to include some very talented developers I met this week. My high score so far is about 600,000...get ready to beat that!

16. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    This game looks very user friendly! :D, hope this has more weapons

17. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

sorry, but the ship looks like a sperm %)

18. Acceleroto

@frant Ummm, mind in the gutter?
    There will be more laser options that what you see in the quick demo video. I'm working on some graphics updates as we speak for the dashboard stuff in the game. WWDC's closing up...it's time to knock out the last bits on the game & get it to you guys.

Soon!