Abandoned Games lacking Updates

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tblrsa, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #1 tblrsa, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
    The App Store is a fast moving world. Thus from time to time, developers seem to stop updating their old games, resulting in those games being left behind, lacking Retina Features, Multitasking, GameCenter, iPad Support and so forth. Some games may even be unplayable at all.

This is a thread to encourage those developers to update their games, even if it may come at a price (In App Purchase, New Release), and to state that, yes, there is a still a crowd behind your game. Who knows? Maybe we see developers provide their game on the Mac App Store too, this would be a great achievement. But even without developers joining us, it would be quite interesting to discuss those games and the reasons why they are lacking support.

Two of those games for me are

- Tilestorm by Massive Hadron

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=36830

Update:

What the heck is "Eggdrops Polar Adventure/Polar Storm" and WHY is it only available to Android/Palm?

Seems to me like MassiveHadron leaves the iDevice crowd behind. :(

and

- PushPixPull by The Miracleworks

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=49021

Both of these games do play fine, but do lack Retina and Multitask Support.

So lets hear it from you, guys. Post the games you still enjoy playing to this very day. Maybe we´ll get some insights.

2. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
  3. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Angry Birds :p

4. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Sacred Oddyssey - Has major glitches hours into the game that prevent you from continuing any further. I bought it a while ago and have since deleted it without ever comleting the story :(

5. RayZZoo

RayZZoo Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Belgium
    Lara Croft and the guardian of light because of a lot of bugs...

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Battle for Wesnoth =/ And Puzzle Agent.

7. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Yeah, sure. :p

8. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Monster dash, minigore, flight control and above all tiny wings!!

9. TRON (free game from Disney Mobile) is also looking like abandoned, it doesnt run under latest iOS 4 update, but i only wanted to hear main theme :)

10. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Seconded. All they did was add multitasking. Didn't even fix the bug of high scores disappearing. I've never had any crashing issues though.

11. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Monster Dash has had quite a few updates. Plus they have pro promised that they will update it ASAP after Machine Gun Jetpack is out.

I would call it abandoned.

Same goes for Minigore that's had plenty of updates too....

12. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
  13. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Dungeon Solitaire is hardly "abandoned" — why on earth would you add it in the first response?

Oh, right ... so you could bash the game. :rolleyes:

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    It might as well be. People asked for months and months for an update to fix the horrendous balance, and when they finally did update, it was simply to add more IAP packs.

I love the game, actually. I just wish it wasn't so random that there's almost no strategy involved. There's no point in playing right now because you lose no matter how hard or how well you play.

15. TheDukester

#15 TheDukester, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
    Ah, I think I see the problem here: you're not very good at the game. And there's nothing wrong with that; I'm not very good at a whole list of games.

But if you're always losing, then, sorry, but you need to re-evaluate how you're playing. I'm a half-decent DS player and I win about 40 percent of the time. And there's players out there, far better than I am, who go into a DS game expecting to win, every time. It's really a very beatable game.

Or, the short version: the problem isn't the game's balance, the problem is your strategy. And it's not fair to ding the game for that.

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Have you guys really finished everything Wesnoth is already offering to be needing another content update?

17. TheDukester

Back on topic:

Necronomicon. I'm saying it's been abandoned until someone can prove otherwise. And a developer posting once every three months on a messageboard doesn't count.

18. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Tiny Wings is abandoned... but then again what can they add to it? More challenges? That's not terribly exciting. The most they could do is release an iPad version, but that's about it. Perhaps the dev is working on something new, and that's probably just as well. I don't think Tiny Wings, good as it is, is a terribly updatable game concept.

19. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Totally perefect game and don't take this as a complaint, but I'd like an update to dungeon raid. Even a HD version. I wouldn't mind buying it again for a hd version or even IAP for more classes/monsters. Just been awhile since any news for it, I hope the dev is still alive and doing well.

20. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    The C64 app, Civilization Revilution and Loopy Laboratory,