iPad Dungeon Raid (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ahh nicely put. thanks :)

that's a shame, I thought it had persistent characters and class levelling. oh well, still a fun game.

2. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Unfortunately persistent characters would result in all the high scores being more a factor of most games played (since higher level characters will last longer) than skill. I just don't see how it could work with the way the game is.

The only idea I like that might add some more depth (story wise not game wise) is the ability to actually survive depending upon the opening story. So for example if you trekked into the dungeon to find X, then each special monster you kill after a certain point has a 1% chance to drop it. If they do you can pick it up and then choose to either "win" and get a brief scene with some text linked to the opening one for that run through... or decide to "continue on" or go for the high score. Obviously some back stories (the opening scenes) would have no logical win condition and thus sometimes you're just chugging along... but I think it'd be a nice touch myself.

3. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    It does have persistent characters and class leveling. Your character will continue to exist and level up until they get killed.

What it doesn't have is bringing characters back to life once killed. According to my DM when I played D&D in college, that's how things are supposed to work.

:)

4. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    (sorry to bump)

I made it to 1407 turns!!!....

....on easy (I started a game and forgot what difficulty it was on).

Anyways, does anyone have fireflames email? I tried the one that was posted a few pages back, and got an error. Thanks

5. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    No worries about bringing this thread back to life. I secretly hope it means a new update every time it does come back... but oh well.

I PMed you the addy I used to get a hold of him. I hope it still works! It's been many months since he told me he was working on an update. I hope all is well with him.

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hehe, easy is scary it just goes on FOREVER! :eek:

Still play this game on a regular basis, even got my wife and daughter playing it at one point.

7. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Yeah I wish he still supported this game :/

Thanks for the email address, I emailed him the following:

"Hey man, how's it going? It's been forever since you've posted on TouchArcade. I just emailed to ask if you still had any plans to add things to Dungeon Raid, someone posted that you were working on an HD version, but I guess that fell through. You should come visit TouchArcade again, and maybe give some insight as to what your plans are. Anyway man, hope you're doing ok, I still play Dungeon Raid daily. Take care.

-Teh_Ninja (Will)"

I'll definitely post his reply (If I get one)

8. fetagames

fetagames Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Poland
    Oh yes! That is the game, I love it :) This is a target of my dreams to publish such a game :)

9. RizzleNYC

RizzleNYC Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Indie Game Marketing
    NYC
    Cool Twist on Match 3 Puzzle Fighter

I'm liking the twist on regular puzzle fighter - thoughts on strategy for this game? Starting to get addicting...

10. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #2271 eflin, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    There's a ton of good strategy posts on this thread already. For example I just put one up 3 pages back on this thread.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2170971&postcount=2239

However if you have any questions or specific things you'd like to discuss, then feel free to bring them up!

Excellent! Hopefully he responds to you :- )

11. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
  12. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
  13. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    #2274 eflin, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks for the game tip. Logged about 6 hours into it and it is a fun game. I don't know if I would call it the spiritual successor to dungeon raid but I can see the comparison. I really like the progression in 10000000 between games but it seems a lot more luck based in game (some boards you just dont have many matches to make and some are super good... Particularly when you get stuck on a chest or door with no key match ups on screen). That plus the time limit makes it feel a lot less strategic than dungeon raid. Maybe it will get deeper as I go but right now it seems like a plethora of options rather than alot of depth. It seems like I'll just spend a lot of time to max out my guy and then just need to get lucky for a good hi score. Still a fun experience but I don't think I'll keep coming back to it like dungeon raid. Dungeon raid seemed so simple at first but just kept getting deeper and had a lot of interesting synergies that jept it fresh and kept me coming back. Time will tell though. I like 10000000 so far and it definitely helps mix things up while I wait for the hopeful update fire flame mentioned months back. Teh-Ninja did you ever hear back from him?

EDIT: okay I was way off with my original time estimate above. I beat 10000000 last night and it said my total play time was a little under 4 hours. Fun game but I don't see myself playing it anymore. I'd recommend it to people who like dungeon raid but also say it will only last you 5 or so solid hours. Dungeon raid is much better in my opinion.

14. Teh_Ninja

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    #2275 Teh_Ninja, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
    Each game is it's own, there's no need abandon this one.

To eflin: No, I never got a response from fireflame. (I still have hope that this game will once again shine soon)

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Does anyone know any way to contact Fireflame? He hasn't been active on this site in over a year. If he's moved on and isn't going to do anything more with Dungeon Raid, I'd like to make him an offer to buy the rights. I think I can make it worth his while.

Anyone know how to get an estimate of how many copies of DR have been sold? I know there are sites that try to track this kind of thing.

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I had gotten a reply for him a while back, when I posted about it in the thread, but it seems he may gotten off track. Playing the game again constantly reminds me how amazing it is. There is something so very special in the game, and it's one of the only ones I have kept playing for years and years.

17. Plynx

Plynx Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    According to this link it peaked at #112 in iPhone general app rankings. I've heard it said that you need to stay in the top 250 to make a living for 2 developers working continuously on a single title priced at $2.99 (link).

18. kinnth

kinnth Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I'm sure this has been asked in the past, but is there any way to ensure that your DR progress is saved if you upgrade your iOS. It should be done in the sync and transfer but i have had trouble before. Considering the ammount of time ive put into this game i want to keep it if possible.

Is there any way it will use iCloud save progress.

19. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Pretty sure DR's last update was way before iCloud existed. If you don't trust an iTunes backup, then copying data from the app with a third party iOS file explorer of some sort would be your only alternative afaik.