Dungeon Defense help, please

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by AllanMarcus, May 31, 2009.

1. AllanMarcus

AllanMarcus Member

May 31, 2009
    #1 AllanMarcus, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    Hello,

I've been playing Dungeon Defense 1.1 for a while now. I can beat all three maps at easy level, but I cannot get past level 6 on the 25 round medium map with the Dungeon King.

I'm not looking for a walk-through, but I would love a hint or suggestion for a strategy.

Thanks,

Allan

2. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    Your best bet on this one is to set up all your defenses in the middle area. Also, if you do a search on Dungeon Defense, there is an entire DD thread that has a bunch more advice as well.

3. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #3 Alichan76, May 31, 2009
    Last edited: May 31, 2009
    Go for the centre. Don't waste money on putting your units right next to the door.
    Keep your Archers at a safe distance, so that the hero's don't aim for them first.
    Sell your fully upgraded swordsmen for axemen asap.
    Don't waste your gold healing your units too much. Use the money for up-grades and new units instead.

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    I could use advice on the medium difficulty outdoor map, myself.

5. AllanMarcus

AllanMarcus Member

May 31, 2009
    Have you tried what you are suggesting with version 1.1? By level 6 one barely has enough money for a couple or archers a maybe 4 half upgraded basic infantry (all placed in the middle). At that point, my forces get overwhelmed.

6. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Build 2-3 infantry and upgrade them before you make any archers (archers need infantry to defend them). Then make a few archers behind the infantry and upgrade them. Then switch out the infantry for the heavy units.

7. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    Fair point, last I played that map was before the up-grade. I just tried again, and got to round 8:eek:

8. Alichan76

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a suspicion that less fully upgraded swordsmen are better than lots of half upgraded ones.

9. AllanMarcus

AllanMarcus Member

May 31, 2009
    Sorry to be dense, but that just doesn't make sense to me. There are only two upgrades, so a a less fully upgraded swordsman is the same as a half upgraded swordsman.

I recall reading the the only difference between a level 2 and level 3 swordsman is that a level 3 swordsman will attract an enemy, thus possibly distracting the enemy from attacking an archer.

Also, from what In understand version 1.0 was fairly easy to neat. I wonder if the developers have gone too far and make version 1.1 impossible to beat, even on medium.

10. AllanMarcus

AllanMarcus Member

May 31, 2009
    Have you tried what you are suggesting with version 1.1? By level 6 one barely has enough money for a couple of archers a maybe 4 half upgraded basic infantry (all placed in the middle). At that point, my forces get overwhelmed.

11. MisterDrgn

MisterDrgn Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    I've only played version 1.1. And yes, I beat medium with that strategy. Try fully upgrading 3 infantry--not half-upgrading--before building any archers.

12. AllanMarcus

AllanMarcus Member

May 31, 2009
    Here's what I have tried (among other tries as well).

Round 1: build two swordsmen. One in center of the circle, and to the right of that.
    Round 2: Upgrade center swordsman to level 2 as soon as I have 75 gold
    Round 3: Upgrade second swordsman to level 2 as soon as I have 75 gold
    Round 4: By the beginning of round 4 I have 232 gold. As soon as I get 300, I will build an archer in the center rear of the central area (right above the green in the center).
    Round 4: one wave, 7 heros to kill, I have enough gold so I build an archer.
    Round 5: starts and I have 186 gold.

Here's where I would love to be able to save! At this point I can use the money for various things. 1) I can heal my guys when the fall and possible stop defeat, but I think that just holds off defeat for a short while. 2) I can wait and add another archer (tried it, I lose in round 6). I can purchase more swordsmen for the center section (tried, I lose). I can wait until I get enough money, sell a swordsman and get an axeman (tied it, and I lose).

I have not tried building up one of the other areas of the map. Anyone tried that?

Heck, and anyone beat medium in version 1.1?

-- edit: whoops, just saw MisterDrgn's idea. I will try that later, after dinner.

Thanks,

Allan

13. AllanMarcus

AllanMarcus Member

May 31, 2009
    #13 AllanMarcus, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    Victory is mine!

I did it! With MisterDrgn's little help for the beginning, I was able to defeat medium.

Spoiler alert! I documented my victory and posted it below. If you don't want a walk through, stop reading now.

Scroll down for my walkthrough

Round 1: build two swordsmen. One in center of the circle, and to the right of that.
    Round 2: Upgrade center swordsman to level 2 as soon as I have 75 gold
    Round 3: Upgrade second swordsman to level 2 as soon as I have 75 gold
    Round 4: By the beginning of round 4 I have 232 gold. As soon as I get 300, I will build an archer in the center rear of the central area (right above the green in the center).
    Round 4: one wave, 7 heros to kill, I have enough gold so I build an archer.
    Round 5: starts and I have 186 gold. I build one more swordsman to the left of center and upgrade him to level 2. When I have enough gold, I upgrade the far right swordsman to level 3
    Round 6: begins with 153 gold. I upgrade the center swordsman to level 3
    Round 6: with 2 waves and 15 heroes to kill, my center swordsman dies. I upgrade the left swordsman to level 3.
    Round 7: begins and I have 208 gold. I will buy an archer for the upper right spot in the center area once I have the money.
    Round 7: 1 wave and 13 heroes to go, I buy my second archer
    Round 8: I have 219 gold. I will upgrade the upper right archer as soon I have enough gold
    Round 8: with 0 waves and 8 heroes to go, my center swordsman has died again. I have 132 gold, but I will save up for an archer upgrade.
    Round 8: will 4 heroes to go, my center swordsman heals, but my right swordsman has died.
    Round 9: I survive! I have 305 gold, so I upgrade my left archer to level 2.
    Round 9: 0 waves and 8 heroes to go and my right swordsman has died. I have 242 gold, but I need 325 to upgrade an archer to level 3. I will wait.
    Round 9: The Heroes are coming in groups of four. One of these just killed by center swordsman, but the right swordsman is almost healed. The last group of four is about to enter the center area. I have 296 gold.
    Round 10: I barely survived! I now have 380 gold, so I will upgrade the right archer to level 3.
    Round 10: With 0 waves and 6 heroes to go, I upgrade my other archer to level 3. I have 382 gold
    Round 11: I start the round with 149 gold. I can sell a swordsman for 150 and therefore need 450 to get an axeman.
    Round 11: 0 waves and 3 heroes to go, I have 477 gold, so I sell my center swordsman and buy an axeman
    Round 12: I start the round with 206 gold. Need 450 to swap out the right swordsman for an axeman
    Round 12: 1 wave and 10 heroes to go. I have 458 gold. I will now trade the right swordsman for an axeman
    note: My left swordsman does enter the fray too often, so I will not trade him for an axeman. I will upgrade the axemen as I have the gold.
    Round 13: I have 268 gold
    note: I notice the axemen will gang up on a hero and allow a second hero to sneak past and attack my archers. I don't like that! :)
    Round 13: 1 wave 12 heroes to go: I have 547 gold. I upgrade the center axeman
    Round 14: I have 421 gold. I will upgrade the right axemen after the first kill
    Round 14: 1 wave 12 heroes to go. My left archer is killed. I have 177 gold.
    Round 14: 1 wave 08 heroes to go. My right archer is killed, but my left one rises. I have 314 gold.
    Round 14: 1 wave 04 heroes to go. Both archers are down and enemy is about to enter the room. I have 383 gold.
    Round 15: I made it! I have 580 gold. Need 750 to upgrade an axeman. Heroes are comin' in fours again, this time with a mage in the first group.
    Round 15: 3 waves, 16 heroes to go. The first group of heroes killed both my archers! I have 660 gold. This doesn't look good.
    Round 15: 2 waves, 12 heroes to go. My archers are back, but my troops took heavy damage. I have 778 gold, so I will upgrade my center axeman. The next group of heroes has a mage with them :-(
    Round 16: I start the round with 444 gold. Now what?
    Round 16: 2 waves 13 heroes to go I have 618 gold and I buy another axeman. I pout him under the green central circle. My right archer went down
    Round 16: 0 waves 8 heroes to go. My new axeman went down, but slowed them down a bit. My archer is back. I have 174 gold
    Round 17: End of round 16 was rough. I have 454 gold. I buy another archer and put him lower left in the central room
    Round 17: 17 waves and 35 heroes to go! My lower central axeman goes down. I have 176 gold
    Round 17: 14 waves and 30 heroes to go. I have 231 gold and upgrade my new archer
    Round 17: 3 waves and 11 heroes to go. I have 430 gold and upgrade my new archer to level 3
    Round 17: 0 waves and 5 heroes to go. I have 295 gold. Mages are tough and my lower left archer goes down. It's a bin melee in the center room
    Round 17: 0 waves and 1 heroes to go. I have 469 gold. The upper archers go down, but the lower archer is back. Last hero, a mage, is almost dead. I upgrade my lower central axeman to level 3.
    Round 18: 7 waves 15 heroes to go. I have 131 gold. THis level is a friggin' mage-a-thon! Archers die and come back and I survive the level
    Round 19: 4 waves and 11 heroes. I have 740 gold. One more axeman to upgrade, then I need to decide what to do with the gold. Use it to heal, or build up the front or rear room. After the first kill I upgrade the lower central axeman.
    Round 19: 0 waves and 0 heroes. I have 526 gold. I decide to sell the center left swordsman and buy and upgrade an archer.
    Round 25: 5 waves and 22 heroes. I have 371 gold. My new center left archer is level 2 and I will upgrade to level 3 after the first kill.
    Round 21: 5 waves 21 heroes. I have 753 gold. My lower central axeman went down right at the end of the level, but the round end brought him back. Ive decided to horde gold for a little and see what happens. I might use gold to heal or use a Dungeon KIng spell.
    Round 21: 1 waves 12 heroes. I have 1170 gold. The heroes beat my lower central axeman to the ground. I do nothing yet.
    Round 21: 0 waves 4 heroes. I have 1409 gold. My two left archers are hurt, but my lower axeman is back!
    Round 22: 4 waves 20 heroes. I have 1658 gold.
    Round 22: 0 waves 9 heroes. I have 2038 gold. My lower central axeman goes down. Only 2 groups left, so I think I'm ok.
    Round 22: 0 waves 5 heroes. I have 2246 gold. lower left archer goes down. Darned mages.
    Round 23: 4 waves 20 heroes. I have 2560 gold.
    Round 23: 3 waves 16 heroes. I have 2673 gold. First group of heroes had a power mage and kill my left archers. I heal them before the second group can get to the room.
    Round 23: 1 waves 8 heroes. I have 2364 gold. The third group also had a mage and knocked out three of my archers and seriously hurt my lower knight. I heal the archers and consider a haste spell.
    Round 23: 0 waves 4 heroes. I have 1701 gold. Only one archer is down and this is the last group, so I will get free healing at the end of the round.
    Round 24: 4 waves 20 heroes. I have 1963 gold. I buy one more archer for back up. I place him above the central room. I fully upgrade him. I now have 1063 gold
    Round 24: 1 waves 10 heroes. I have 1419 gold. Lower center axeman goes down. I heal him.
    Round 25: 23 waves 35 heroes. I have 1373 gold.
    Round 25: 9 waves 18 heroes. I have 1662 gold. Lower center axeman goes down. I heal him.
    Round 25: 5 waves 10 heroes. I have 1462 gold. Lower center axeman goes down. I heal him.
    Round 25: 0 waves 2 heroes. I have 1453 gold. Lower center axeman goes down, as does my two left archers. Heroes are in the center of the room. Left center archer I heal. LOwer left archer will soon self heal.

As Stewie Griffin says: VICTORY IS MINE! :) Final score is 231261