Universal Battle of the Bulge - (by Shenandoah Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by djflippy, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I have yet to try an Allies game.
    This game ROCKS btw...especially the async multiplayer, is fantastic.
    BA meets Ascension meets Carcassonne.

If you promise to be gentle I'll ask you a mp game :)

2. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Oooo...Operation Crusader! That brings back even better memories of days spent in front of a too small monitor. I agree it would be a much better fit to this system as I see it, but it seems these guys know what they're doing so I'm sure El Alamein will be great too. :)

3. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I agree with all the sentiments here - this a great game taylor-made for the iPad. I hope other devs take a look at this as the future potential for the platform.

I do have one question though. I've played the intro scenario several times as the Axis, and it looks like the only way to really pull it off is through clever use of Armor Breakthrough.

Problem is, I can't understand why the Armor Breakthrough move doesn't always work for me. It says in the rules that Armor gets a breakthrough move if it destroys all enemy units in that space. Well often times, that will happen for me (where my Armor unit destroys - not causes them to retreat - all of the enemies in that space), but it won't give me the breakthrough move. Any reason for this? Is there a terrain effect or something that could be preventing it? It seems like sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

Any pointers?

4. Farmer Harv

Farmer Harv Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    There are a few exceptions to armour breakthrough in the rulebook which might be what you're experiencing...

Breakthrough Limits

• Armor may not breakthrough if the enemy retreated from the area rather than being eliminated in combat
    • Only one unit may breakthrough across a given river, even if bridged
    • Breakthrough into a forest space is only allowed along a road
    • If the space entered by breakthrough is enemy occupied, the armor may not attack again
    • Breakthroughs are not allowed on December 16th

5. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    OK I've sent out invites to a couple of my regular Ascension opponents, lets get ready to rumble!
    Between BotB, Ascension and Battle Academy I think I can simply delete everything else on my iPad ;)

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I can already tell BotB will be permanent on my iPad.
    Ascension after months of non stop playing has see little love from me (still amazing game) and Battle Academy never really clicked with me.

So far, none of the about 10 games I played was equal to another.
    And multiplayer is freaking fantastic.

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thank you for pointing out! A good note for fellow panzer commanders (and Allied command too) -- I never really read the manual. :p

Dummy notes:

1. There is no such thing as ZoC in this game (sorry for the jargon here), if you are in the same "area" with the enemy, you can still move out (iirc there may be penalty involved). One word of advice: make sure the supply route is clear before you do so.

2. If you move units into an area which are occupied by units with fightings earlier, the newly added units will be fighting all the enemy forces on their own, the friendly units already there will not join in because they are already spent. Plan your attack carefully.

3. The objectives are not clearly marked on game map, and make sure you access the situation carefully. I lost my first game as Allied simple because the goal line was within reach of a lone German panzer division...

8. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    While I don't disagree in part, you are forgetting you can make unlimited revisions, scenarios and do what you want with counter placement and goals re tabletop variations. While I like this game and I am happy to see something like it on the App Store, it is a tad limited comparatively. Some non historical scenarios or customisation would have been nice.

9. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Nothing to subtract from this game, but I agree in the sense that I would love to have also the possibility to play non historical scenarios with different goals and start situations.

10. Paradoxish

Paradoxish Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Yeah, pretty much this. I find it really hard to criticize this game because it's absolutely phenomenal and a total steal at $10, but it'd be great to see some variants. Even options like semi-randomized reinforcements or weather would be great, and something I'd be happy to pay a few bucks for as IAP. In fact, all of my "complaints" about BotB really come down to the fact that it's an awesome game and I don't want to wait for an entirely new map and scenario to expand the content when a few tweaks or options here or there would do wonders for its longevity.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I just had the most tense and epic game I've ever had.
    Full campaign as Allies against Dietrich.
    We fought for every damn bridge.
    EVERY one.
    I won, but he was really close to breakthrough my lines and he cut off Bastogne 2 times, even if he couldn't take it.

AMAZING, truly amazing game.

12. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    LOL, just checked the official BotB company site and they have a sentence from my App Store review posted! Rather honored actually, just a tiny bit unnerved that they used my full name though! Well if I can help them sell any more copies its worth it :)

13. Eejit

Eejit New Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Monday 17th, still nothing in the Swiss app store. This is so gonna be worth the wait :)

14. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    Same here in Germany...
    I never bought an IOS game for €8.99 but when I see that there are 125 or so ratings in the AppStore and all these are 5 Star ones and when I read the praise this game gets here, I think that I have to buy it.
    I like war games. I started playing them on my C64 which I got when I was 17, back in 1983.
    One was called "Battle of the Bulge: Tigers in the Snow". And there were others, but I do not remember their names yet.
    Ok, let us hope that we get the game before apple puts the AppStore in lock state... Fingers crossed!

15. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    #95 karlth, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    Just bought and played the game. Firstly it is very, very polished. The sound, graphics are absolutely first class. The gameplay itself is sometimes very confusing if you come from RTS wargames but most likely logical if you are used to war boardgames or games like Steel Panthers on the PC. There are certain turn-by-turn rules (e.g. units attacking each other only when a third unit exits a square) that are not realistic but added, according to the developer, to improve the gameplay. The AI seems fine but I've yet to try multiplayer.

Nevertheless I would definitely recommend this game and hope it starts a trend of high quality wargames on the iPad.

16. Cromwell

Cromwell Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Selfemployed PC Service technican
    Cologne, Germany
    19:58.... the german appstore... still no BotB... :(

17. NoisyNinja

NoisyNinja Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Any advice how to beat raise to to muse as axis? is it even possible?

18. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    Try playing as the allies and see how the AI does it.

19. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    It is definitely possible to win “Race to the Meuse” from either side. (Search Twitter for #BotB and you will probably find screen shots.)

One tip: don’t play it like you would a wargame. It is totally OK to sacrifice units or ignore threats, because the game ends abruptly.

20. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    The easiest path to to hook to the NorthWest, that's the shortest distance to the Meuse. Aim for the territories of Huy, Ouffet or Herve. Play smart with your stacking and breakthroughs and keep a protected line, if the allies cut off your lead formation from behind as you reach the Meuse you won't get the win.