worms vs starhogs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by backtothis, Jul 13, 2009.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #1 backtothis, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    Hey guys haha after going to this site daily for the past 2 and a half months and pretty much reading every review and interesting forum topic, I've finally decided to make an account xP.

Well that's about it for me and I guess the title kinda says it all heheh.

I've tried out starhogs lite and it feels like a pretty innovative version of the trajectory genre games but i used to play worms on the pc and it was pretty cool. I've seen the reviews for both games and I've noticed some complaints about worms about the controls and other little performance issues. I'm not a "fan" of worms in any way but ya I'm wondering which one to get and maybe some people can list some pros and cons of each xD.

Yay another 15$ gift card! More money to increase the size of my unused games haven -_-.

Ooo..and I'm pretty sure there's no other topics like this yet unless i suck poop at searching hahaha..and I think this is in the right section since I've seen so many other people make the mistake aha. Anyways, thanks!

2. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
  3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
  4. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Ah hahaha well I've read both reviews and pretty much for every other game like I said xP but umm why star hogs?

5. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #5 Big Albie, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
    Several things put Star Hogs ahead of WORMS...

Depth
    Star Hogs has a 32-level campaign mode along with Quick Play.

Controls
    I hate to go against the WORMS religion, but the controls are glitchy. They work, but they're not responsive for everyone. I can only say this for myself and my iPod Touch 2g 3.0, but the performance is hit or miss.

Gameplay
    The gameplay is there for WORMS, but it only has quick play and one-off missions. Frankly, I like Star Hogs because the gameplay is pretty solid, and what you would expect with an initial release. WORMS has too many glitches right now to get a wholehearted recommendation from me right now.

Graphics
    This one goes to WORMS because it does look better than Star Hogs, but of course this is subjective. And, if the playability isn't all there, looks don't really matter.

Multiplayer
    Again, if this is important, then Star Hogs comes out ahead because it has a full multiplayer option that WORMS unfortunately does not.

I know there are some that will say that they are two different games, but that's not completely true. While some elements differ, they belong in the same turn-based combat strategy category.

6. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Quick play isn't your only option you know. You can go to multiplayer and set up a game with a computer and you can pick what team you want to be.

7. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    I'm with Big Albie here... as a long-time Worms fan, I've downloaded every game I could find like it on this platform: iShoot, Snails Reloaded, SoldierAnts, Iron Sight, and Star Hogs. Out of those, iShoot and Star Hogs were the only two I didn't delete after a day of stumbling through them.

I had been anticipating the official Worms release for quite some time, and wasn't expecting it to be flawless upon release. I wasn't, however, expecting it to be as lousy as it actually is. Choppy frame rates, clunky controls, lack of features, and a mediocre UI make for a rather lackluster title. This is particularly disappointing due to the hype that was surrounding it, and it being described as a full-featured port.

Star Hogs is fantastic, despite my rather meek attempts at mastering it (I'm pretty lousy, considering I'm not terrible at other artillery style games), but I don't lack faith that the developers of Worms will work out all the kinks. It'll stay on my phone for now purely out of optimism, and because the smug worm in the icon makes me chuckle. :rolleyes:

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Alright thanks for the responses, there goes 5 bucks heh.

9. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    So, how about Star Hogs vs. iShoot? :)

10. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    Haha - If I could only pick one, I'd pick Star Hogs because it simply offers more... that's not to say that I don't still load up iShoot for a few quick games. They're very different even if they fit in the same genre. iShoot seems to pride itself on simplicity and quick games, but it still feels like a mobile game in the end. Star Hogs is a lot more immersive, and offers more features and more strategic gameplay. I doubt either will ever leave my phone. ;)

I can safely say, though, that iShoot had no real competition (in my opinion) until Star Hogs came out, and they're different enough to pick up both.

11. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Worms. Multiplayer is coming for Worms eventually. I've tried Starhogs. It didn't shine for me.

12. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Thanks. "Both" is an acceptable answer :)

Big Albie's SH review has some useful comparison too.

13. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Worms.
    Tried the Lite of Star Hogs too. Like Worms a lot better.

14. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Are you kidding me? Worms is a huge disappointment to me with glitchy controls, lag, and lack of real multiplayer. The multiplayer included in Worms is pass and play, and the options available are only quick play and "missions" which cannot compare to the online multiplayer and 32 campaign levels provided in Star Hogs. Ok, Worms looks cool but that's where the line ends.

I've been a huge Worms fan, but this version needs some optimizations to catch up to its competition.

15. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    Yeah, I'm wondering if others are seeing and experiencing the same things we are, at this point. I find it essentially unplayable in its current state. There's only so much struggling with controls/frame rates I can take before it's void of entertainment value.

16. Pug4Death

Pug4Death Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    iShoot fails utterly. Star Hogs is great, it's Worms on Crack. I'd choose Star Hogs until Worms gets updated.

17. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I don't see any frame rate issues. The only things I see that's wrong are the controls and the zooming. Everything else is perfect.

18. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

+1

Worms is the classic.

same here - works smooths to me

19. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    Yeah I know that and thanks for pointing that out. I just didn't want to go through and rehash my review.

20. Uhgii

Uhgii Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Broadcasting/News
    New York
    What device are you using? I'm using an iPhone 3G 3.0 and haven't encountered lousy framerates in other games that wasn't common due to the firmware version. I also always play games with sound/music turned off, and generally have unnecessary settings turned off before "gaming sessions" on my phone.

And before you ask, yes, I've reset my device (as I do after each sync/install), and yes, I have tried reinstalling. It has never crashed, and the framerate itself isn't why I find it essentially unplayable, but it's an issue that must be resolved.

I've read that those on the 3GS have seen (understandably) better performance. I'm also not the only one voicing concerns about this.