Sharing data between apps?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lazypeon, May 2, 2009.

1. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I'm working on an application where objects a user collects in the game can be used in a second game as well.

I searched Google a bit, but I'm still unclear how applications from the same developer have access to data from the other. Does anyone have some resources that discuss this?

2. wildex999

wildex999 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Student
    Norway
    Well, you could use an algorithm to create a string the user passes into the second game, like Golden sun did, but I'm not sure how they did it =/
    If you have the resources you could also upload the "savedata" to a server, and then download it again in the second game. I'm not sure if there's any other direct way of doing this, if so others might know it :)

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Have users create accounts and log in. Keep all their data attached to their account.

If they buy the second game and log in with the same username, their stuff could still be attached to their name.

Although, I don't know how to do that :eek:

4. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    maybe see if feint can do that. That is how you migrate from feint 1 to feint 2

5. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sounds like the solutions suggested so far are server side, which is a fine solution. However, I was hoping to do something that shared data on the client (phone) side. I was under impression that if applications were signed with the same key (or something like that) you could access data from the other. I could be mistaken though.

6. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I've been wondering too. For example, every Tap Tap game you have automatically logs in to your account without you doing anything. I thought all apps could only access their own "sandbox".

Anybody? Maybe somebody from Tapulous :)?

7. luis

luis Member

I have not tried it myself, but according to the documentation if you use a wild card App ID (i.e. com.example.*), then all applications using the same App ID can access the same keychain items.

8. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    It depends on what data (and the size of it) that you want to share.

A server-side solution is the best idea, however you could you use the UIApplication openURL method in your first game to launch the second game and pass the data across.

That removes the need for any kind of network connection.