iphone games for desktop users?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by mobile1up, Dec 28, 2009.

1. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    #1 mobile1up, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    i wasn't sure where to put this thread :)

is anyone considering targeting their iphone games towards desktop users? more specifically; the netbook type form factor; effectively a mini laptop running windows or linux (while at it; why not consider mac osx)? is there a potential market for the desktop and mobile laptop environments?

since Mobile 1UP games are based on a platform-independent development framework; it was quite simple to provide support for desktop type operating systems; in fact, Cronk; a project we worked on as a consulting gig is now available on Mac OSX and Linux based desktop systems:

http://www.mobile1up.com/cronk/

we also have converted GW Series to support Mac OSX - and released it yesterday. we are planning to add Windows binaries as well. i'll keep you posted on how successful they are (if at all). If you have a Mac OSX or Linux based machine and want to try them out (and, spread the word); send me a PM and i can fix a free copy :) - otherwise support us by visiting http://www.mobile1up.com/store/ - one great thing is that there is no requirement for iTunes to download and install :)

does anyone else consider this a market as well?

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I have considered desktop versions- our games have been developed on Windows and MacOs (emulator is used rarely) so the game already runs on those platforms.

However, games like Flickitty are specifically designed for swipe input, which doesn't work to well with a desktop machine. Many other games that are specifically tailored to the iPhone hardware won't work either, while some games that use horrible iPhone implementation will benefit more by moving to desktop (I'm looking at you you, games that use the accelerometer to steer :( )

When PDAMill released one of my earliest titles, Snails, we had a PC version that never went public. However, many of their other games are available for PC. In fact, many of those games went for free over the holidays (sadly, still no Snails).

3. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i'm glad i'm not the only one :) i think this will become more of an issue with the launch of netbooks and smaller "mobile internet devices" - i am not 100% convinced the "web approach" will work for everything.. so, there is potentially a market there.

if you are using accelerometer as input; definitely an issue.

on desktop environments; you do however have a keyboard; which, is an input method not available within the iphone environment. of course we have to make some changes to support keyboard input (if necessary); but you can always assume someone has a mouse/stylus so the touch screen type concept will still work.

the other alternative is that you can distribute the binaries yourself. you can simply use an engine like www.esellerate.net to handle credit card purchases; and you can also use coupon codes to ensure people get it free. i agree with the mix of using it for promotional purposes as well; but some people will actually buy the game if it is worth it.

we've been selling Palm OS, Windows Mobile and Symbian products this way; and they still sell - i wasn't sure about the desktop market. The pricing model is definitely different due to volumes and minimum purchase requirements (apple has micro payments due to the way they handle credit card payments)

4. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Really? You don't like accelerometer steering? I actually think a racing game on the iPhone has more accurate steering control than a racing game on a Nintendo DS or a PC keyboard. I find well-implemented accelerometer gaming more FUN!