Best puzzle games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DPRICE81, Apr 22, 2010.

1. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    There's so many puzzle games? I love them but Im afraid I'm missing some good ones. Which ones are the best? (I do not have ipad)

2. caltab

caltab Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    some of my favorites:

azkend, sparkle, chuzzle, alphabetic, the treasure of montezuma, unify, Drop7, Green fingers, critter crunch, paradise quest, chain link

3. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    I still whip out puzzle quest...but they I play it for a month straight....by far the coolest match 3 ....cause you get spells and equipment. Plus there is some pretty cool depth if you want it...like takign away your opponents matches if you know they can use them well....it is a must buy if you like match 3 games.

4. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
  5. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    1. "Eliss": Crazy, frustrating action/puzzle game with cool retro graphics but incredibly smooth, frantic gameplay. Only for those who can handle not throwing their iPhones at the wall.

2. "Beat It": A new take on rhythm games where the user does not tap to a beat, but has to recreate a beat after hearing it. Lots of fun rhythms and exciting visuals, plus a "make-your own beat" function make it great.

3. Cogs: A port of a computer game, it was destined to be a touch game. It's a sliding puzzle where you must position various gears in place to interact and power up these magnificent inventions. Beautiful 3d graphics complement.

4. Angry Birds: For those who want Crush the Castle on the iPhone. It's hard, but addictive and charming. It has a lot of character.

5. Unblock Me: Basically Rush Hour on the iPhone, except it has over 3,000 levels!

6. Smashed! : This is undoubtedly one of the most underrated games on the whole app store. The point of the game is to smash structures of wooden blocks and interact with the environments they are in. The graphics are breathtaking, along with the advanced physics engine and crisp sound. A very high quality game hidden in the app store.

6. Gadm

Gadm Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Theseus... (dramatic sound)

7. jasonf

jasonf Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    :eek: (woot!)

8. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The genre is so big, you need to be more specific, people recommending all kinds of totally different puzzle games.

For example, I am very picky and do not like many popular "puzzle" game genres such as puzzle-platformers, and puzzle-demolition (for example, Angry Birds lite induced an insta-delete, which puts me in a minority). I tend not to consider match 3's puzzle games at all, mostly because there are so many of them they are kind of their own category.

I like conceptually simple puzzle games that harken back to the old days (think the sliding block puzzle or peg jump puzzles you might have played as a kid). If you think you might like that genre, try Unblock Me!, but get the lite first.

In the same genre, but with a totally different concept, try Fling! and Mouse About. Fling! has a lite.

9. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Depends on what genres of puzzle games you like.

I you like classic Match-em-up-before-they-fill-up-the-screen games, then Critter Crunch is probably your best bet.

If you like logic games, Pathpix Pro is the way to go. (Hey...that rhymed!)

iBlast Moki is the best physics game by far.

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that Toki Tori is an excellent puzzle platformer.

And lastly, Sparkle The Game is the most feature-packed Zuma clone yiu caan buy.

I hope this helps!;)

10. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Go with angry birds

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    The thread jyhjyh suggested has some great ideas. There are many hidden gems on it as well. Of course a "puzzle game" has such a broad definition it is very hard to make a suggestion to you without narrowing it down. Do you like match 3s, physics, platformer, etc?

12. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009