NeoWars - node based tactical RTS game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by JoeCool, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    #1 JoeCool, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Hey there, :D

we want to introduce our game NeoWars. It's a node based real time strategy game inspired by Tentacle Wars and similar games like GalCon and Auralux. It will feature 50 levels, a story driven campaign and 35 different kinds of boosters/debuff and upgrades with different rarities as well as battles against up to 3 AIs.

You can register for beta access on our website.
    Any feedback is appreciated :).

The trailer

Some screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I played GalCon a LOT. So I'm interested because of that!

3. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    Great! If you are a long term Galcon player, we would love your feedback. It would be great if you could register for beta. We can also discuss feedback in this channel. :)

4. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    this game looks very interesting ! I ll try

5. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    Thank you! Glad to hear. Please consider subscribing for a beta test at our website! We would love to hear your feedback!

6. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Well this looks right up my street; played the hell out of GalCon.

Registered.

7. Muchuu

Muchuu Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Looks really interesting!

8. Looks fun, just signed up for the beta :)

9. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    If you could arrange for me to see the TestFlight invite 15 mins before I have to start the first day of my new job that would be grea...... Oh wait, you did! #

Well, based on the most cursory of glances I'm liking what I'm seeing. Slick as you like (with one exception I'll get to); love the UI and the graphics walk the line perfectly between form and function, imho.

I've only played the tutorial system so I won't comment on mechanics as of yet.

So for its being kind to my creaky old iPad 2 but who knows what more complex stages may bring. You shouldn't be held back by old kit anyway if it stifles your game.

The exception is the into. Is it a placeholder? Nothing intrinsically terrible about it but it doesn't sit right in a game that looks like it's going to be polished to a sheen. A personal opinion of course.

Looking forward to pouring time into this when that pesky job isn't in the way.

10. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    Oops :D. Good luck with your new job, that is more important than any game out there!

Great, that is good to hear!

It gets indeed more complex and levels get also bigger with more nodes. So its fairly possible that your old ipad will struggle. Nonetheless, we try to support as much devices as possible. So if you have performance issue let us know and we try to optimize it.

As you haven't received the latest change list as a new subscriber, yes its dummy and the next version will be with animations and more meaningful text :).

Looking forward to your feedback. Thank you for investing your precious time! :D

11. divbyzero

divbyzero Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Game Designer & iOS Programmer
    Ukraine
    I would suggest that the opponents had another form of bases, not just color. To better understand where their own, and where foreign bases. Especially at high levels.

Looks good.

12. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    #12 MetaGonzo, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    So here's a thing.

If I mute the music, it also mutes the sfx. I leave the menu with the music slider on zero and the sfx on max there's no sfx. Enter the menu again and the sfx slider is on zero. To have sfx, there must also be music.

Ipad2 9.3.1

Edit: on leaving the menu, the sfx is set to whatever the music is set to.

13. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    great thanks, will be fixed with the next Beta update, which will be soon.

14. MetaGonzo

May 7, 2009
    Sounds good. I got the same thing on my 4S.

On which note, will there be iCloud for progress across devices?

15. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    We try to have it ready by release, but it might be also an early update feature.

16. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    Hi there,

the people who have signed up for Beta have seen that we have a typical F2P model currently in the game. But we don't want to be the guys fishing for whales so we thought we try something we haven't seen yet. Its a hybrid between F2P and Paid. Its not just a plain remove ads button. Its actually much more!

The idea works like this:

The Retron bar, below, will fill up when you watch an advertisment or purchase an gear pack. As soon as bar is full, we switch the game to the "PAID" mode.

[​IMG]

That basically means, you have paid the game. Balancing changes, you get much more Retron to buy gear. Your rewards are automatically doubled. All rewarded ads are removed, all IAPs are removed from the game. All packages can be bought with Retron.

We would be very interested in your opinons!

17. Muchuu

Muchuu Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2013
    I like it. Curious how that will turn out for you.

18. JoeCool

JoeCool Active Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Indie Games Developer
    Germany
    #18 JoeCool, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    Thanks for the comment, much appreciated.
    A new version is also on the horizon with more levels, lots of UI, tutorial and AI improvements and balancing changes.

19. aramusss

aramusss New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Good Job! + Feedback

Hello guys. First of all let me congratulate you guys. The game is really good, is a good example of a mobile game. The art is cool, the tutorials are fairly good, the "story" is enough. I have a few questions and a few feedback for now :)

Questions (do not answer if you don't want to!):
    • How much time have you guys spent in this game?
    • Was it made in your free time (you have another job) or full time?
    • What was your budget in total?
    • How have you done the IA (in general, the system)?
    • Do you have an API? What are you using? What are you saving?

• Game size: You should lower down the size of the app (being now more thank 240MB). You should be able to remove unused assets, and just keep the used ones. Your aim should be less than 100MB, as it's the Apple limit to download through 3G.
    • In-game time speed button: It works great, but I forgot about it. An option could be toggling a message when the game is taking too long reminding its existence.
    • Crashed! The game crashed in Shahar Prime, when a building was about to explode. It was the first level it was actually hard and really fun. This leads me to the recommendation that you should (and probably already do) have a crash analytic tool that will send you the crash data.
    • Changing the System: Two things, first it would be cool to be able to swipe in the middle of the screen to go to the next one (instead of touching the top menu). The second is that when it changes, I can see a hole piece of the dismissed one disappear, instead of scrolled fully to the side. Using iPhone 6S Plus (big screen).

20. pepedrago

pepedrago Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Thanks alot for your great feedback and questions!
    I'm the artist on the project :)

Yours and the other beta testers feedback improved the game lots since the last version. We'll have it out soon, and I'm already very excited what you guys think.

Appsize:
    Yes, definitely. There's a lot of clutter in the project left from previous iterations.
    The iOS version is universal binary, so it's always ~2x as big as the android install. But we are both confident that we can drop a lot of mb's in the next time.

Crashes:
    We have analytics implemented and see when the game crashes. ( And of course it's awesome to see that everybody who downloads the beta plays it way more than a couple of times! ) Not 100% sure if we can see the level that caused the crash ( I'll leave that answer and the one with the AI to JoeCool ;) I'm "only" the art side of the project)

Changing the System :
    You are totally right about the speed button, we'll definitely do something about that.
    About the Level Selection screen, that's a good idea with the swiping.
    I guess the partial disappearance of the system: Thanks, didn't notice :) it's intersecting with the star sphere around it. I'll fix that after breakfast.

How much time have you guys spent in this game?
    ~ 4 1/2 months. Originally we intended to be done much quicker, you all know how that always goes ;)
    It's also the successor to a flash game we did in 2011 in our freetime, so we had "some" idea where we wanted to go.
    Was it made in your free time (you have another job) or full time?
    Full time meanwhile, we're 100% indie now.
    What was your budget in total?
    Difficult to count right now :) But we'll make a proper post mortem once we're done. And we had three other people collaborate with us for specific tasks, like music, balancing, shaders/fx
    How have you done the IA (in general, the system)?
    I leave that answer to JoeCool :D I think the Nodes are self aware meanwhile.
    Do you have an API? What are you using? What are you saving?
    We're using Unity along with a couple of plugins. Saving was done with Easy Save 2.
    The other things we're using is :
    • Amplify Color for post color correction
    • Textmesh Pro, which is invaluable for rendering text in Unity properly
    • Dotween for most animations, especially UI
    • Easytouch
    • Uno Shader Unlit, but we customized it heavily