Looking for quality text based adventure games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by forsakenxe, Mar 11, 2015.

1. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    #1 forsakenxe, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    hey everyone after playing through HMT, and zombien, as well as both sorcery titles I am looking for some more games to explore.

While I really like the rpg elements in HMT and its sequel it is not necessary to have such deep gameplay elements regarding the genre. Sorcery (and the other games of inkle.) is really well done and I like it a lot although it is even more "playing than reading" if you know what I mean :) But that's not a Bad thing.

Yesterday i finished zombidien (llc) and it was suprisingly good! Even though it is only Text it REALLY clicked with me! I liked it a lot. But i also find It quite short for the price of 3€ so I will hold of on their other games for now as it was like 2 hours for the Content past the free chapters.

So I am looking for more. I am especially intrigued by these text only adventures as I find them most up my ally as a reading thing for bed instead of a book, but I also appreciate and enjoyed my time with sorcery and HMT. So suggest anything you might see fit my likings.

Also if you have some other take on the genre please let me know! After the text only zombien I am really open minded as I did not expect to like it so much.

Thanks a lot for suggestions and happy gaming!

Cheers!

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  3. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

You mean texted based by wen you choose an option and that affects the outcome of your story? (Usually with a picture at the top of the screen) Or do you mean actual texted based as in a Dark Room?

4. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Anything by Tin Man Games or Choice Of Games will probably do it for you.

5. forsakenxe

forsakenxe Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    #5 forsakenxe, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    I didn't play dark room, may you explain the differences? But it think I mean the former of making choices that affect the outcome of the story :)

@other 2:

Thanks I will check those out, keep posting if you think about sth else :) thx a lot!

Edit: choice of games is the company who did zombien and I really enjoyed it but for 3€ it was quiet short I fear. I might grab the 25€ bundle for tin man though after reading some reviews later. Is this a complete bundle or would I still miss stuff?

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fabled Lands II Gold Edition (first two Fabled Lands books by Dave Morris, almost a sandbox RPG, and I'm really sad that books 3-6 probably won't ever get added...)

King of Dragon Pass - mostly a strategy game, but many text adventure elements are present.

Frotz - all the Interactive Fiction you can eat. :D

Definitely give Gamebook Adventures 1 a shot, it's an excellent gamebook.

80 Days would also be a good choice.

7. Dewfreak83

Dewfreak83 Active Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Indie Developer
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm curious as to what makes a text-based game low quality (besides miss-spelling and grammar issues)?

I agree with previous mentions, including:
    • Choice of Games
    • Tin Man Games
    • Inkle
    • Cubus Games

One of my favorites is Life of a Wizard from the author Lucid, published by Choice of Games.

8. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Well, I mean, they're games like any other. They can have good or bad designs. While I generally recommend Tin Man's stuff, for example, not all of the Fighting Fantasy books they've adapted are equal.

For me it comes down to balance between exploration and combat, if any, how the map is set up, what percentage of the deaths are just random short-straw drawing versus logical outcomes, how fair the battles are, and so on. The story itself matters too, I think. Some gamebooks have terrible anti-climaxes that really take a lot of fun out of the whole experience.