iPod Touch 5 or iPad Mini for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by acrotran, Sep 14, 2012.

1. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Which would you prefer to use for gaming, an iPod Touch 5 or iPad Mini? Let's assume you are going to receive it as a present, so cost is not an issue.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I doubt the iPad mini is coming. Besides, if it does it's going to be a budget device with inferior hardware. I'd go others the touch, even though it is still a generation behind.

3. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    It's coming in October and won't have a retina screen.

4. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Source?

5. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no one knows the specs of Ipad mini, so I can't tell.
    Let's assume they are same CPU and RAM, bigger screen is always good in most cases when it comes to gaming.
    Without retina is a good thing in my oponion, it takes too much spaces and hardware ability when the screen is as big as a Ipad.

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    A real, tangible device, vs a hypothetical unconfirmed iThing? Yeah.

Assuming we see one, depends on the specs and purpose. If you need mobility, and playing games wherever you go, the touch is the way to go. If you want something to come back to when you're at home and can't afford an iPad, the mini fits.

I'm struggling to see the market for the iPad mini at all, to be honest. As far as I can tell, it would be people who don't want an iPad for whatever reason. It would be too big to put in your pocket like the touch, and if you're taking something with you, might as well take an iPad with the larger screen.

7. I would get an ipad mini hands down. Mostly for the internet use, a bigger screen would do wonders. Gaming is also so much better on an ipad.

8. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Is there seriously ANY proof of iPad mini? That would be device of the year FO SHORE.

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I havent really checked yet, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

Im looking for comprehensive specs comparison for touch5, iphone5 and iphone4s. Currently have a 4S, and im not sure if I should go for the 5 right away.

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Just go for the ipad 3. The new ipod touch still lags in terms of technology and the ipad mini, if it comes out, will be an inferior device more like a kindle/cheaper tablet. I personally have had all 4 of the ipod touches and since have washed my hands of that device and now have the ipad 3, which I'm really digging! I made the smart move indeed!

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I already have an ipad3, but im looking at the option to change my 4S into a 5 mainly, if that is a good idea.

12. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'm waiting to see if the Mini does show at the rumoured October presentation before I commit to anything, but if the iM turns out to be merely wishful thinking, then the 5th-gen iPod Touch is pretty much identical to the iPhone 4S hardware-wise, with the addition of the superior screen of the iPhone 5.

The only real difference here would be the slightly inferior camera (5MP rather than 8), and lack of actual phone, but the iPhone 4S was hardly criticised over the past year as being underpowered as a gaming device.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Glad you like it :) iPads really do provide a better gaming experience.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    OK, so you're set with your ipad3. If you're anything like me, you're gonna get the new one just for the larger screen and you KNOW you want it! Dunno if I like the new, what is it-8 pin connector instead of the old 30, but Apple says it has to go with that if their devices are gonna get thinner. Another $30 down the drain... Whatever. We're willing to do it. We love it!

15. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Definitely iPhone 5. Why? Because if the 3D first person shooter (fps) games. They're a lot better to play on a smaller screen.

16. Zenfar

Zenfar Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Male
    Developer
    http://www.zenfar.com
    iPad

I really love gaming on the iPad and it is more to develop for as well :cool:

The one exception is match 3 games and simple puzzle games which I enjoy more on the iPhone.