Universal Minecraft: Pocket Edition (by Mojang)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Penilegland, Nov 16, 2011.

1. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    So...
    Minecraft PE.
    NEW update?? awesome, but another one i'm not sure i want to touch.

is it worth it? here's what I see...

I never updated to the nether update because it apparently made an eyesore and held back for a next update to sort it out. I actually stopped playing the game to keep it fresh for when the next update hit but I think this doesn't look much better.

Now the update comes out various things are fixed but the nether is still a landscape destroying eyesore or not?

Also really dig tunnels and it all goes back?

This generally sounds quite bad. Should I update or stay with my tried and tested pre-nether version that doesn't cause grief?

The one advantage I can see is that tunnels respawning could be good for collecting resources and in such small worlds you can only build so much before you run out... so perhaps its a sheep in wolves clothing and this is not a bad time to update but best for survival/creative reasons?

thoughts?

2. HeroComa

HeroComa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Student
    Long Beach, California
    I noticed that when you try to place a torch on the floor next to a wall it goes on the wall instead of the floor.

3. visionwebs

Jan 24, 2012
    #483 visionwebs, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    I read store reviews just now and peoples worlds they have been building for months have been completely erased with this update.

Second update in a row not worth a download, the game keeps getting buggier and buggier but they keep pandering to the continuous requests of more content and it is starting to look like a slippery slope without end...

And sucks about the torches :(

What's next?

Bugs fixed:
    Worlds erasing

Current bugs:
    App doesn't start.

I'm so happy I still have 0.4.0, I feel sorry for every one who updated.

Fingers crossed mojang haven't wasted an expedited review and can use it to push 0.6.1 fix for world erasing in the next couple of days, otherwise it's GG from my iPad... Need to make space somewhere.

4. HeroComa

HeroComa Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Student
    Long Beach, California
    Why doesn't everyone back up their worlds and saves through iFunBox? It's just for procautionary measures.

5. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Is the update that bad ? I updated without checking on all my devices and now im afraid to start the game.

6. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I haven't had any issues with it yet other than a tower of sand that I built as a landmark ... I decided to destroy the bottom and see how the sand reacted and a bunch of the blocks were harvested but some maybe 10 or so blocks up remain hovered in mid air.

Since I have the PC version I don't play the PE edition for anything but survival. For building cool stuff I use Eden. Maybe a good idea if you upgraded and are afraid of what it might do to an old save I'd simply don't load an old save. Start a new one or open one you don't care about and experiment with it.

7. Bassman97

Bassman97 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2012
    none
    You dont need to know
    The game is great and I don't understand why everyone is complainting.

8. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    You can update and just NOT use the nether reactor. But while my old nether structures are up....my new one (after the update) seems to have dissapeared. Im not sure if it is because of the bug or not but when i went back to harvest the nether bricks it was gone

9. SmackDatButt

SmackDatButt Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Yeah same here, like what the hell.

Stop being so anal about the game and update.

Shut up.

10. SmackDatButt

Jul 31, 2012
    I'm runnin on full 0.6.0 and I haven't encountered ANY bugs at all, and I'm running on an iTouch 4th generation.

You're missin out on some awesome features and content, buddy ;)

As far as the "app doesn't start" issue, it might have something to do with your Internet connection. I know that sounds dumb, but ever since Pocket Edition launched, Ive had a problem where if I'm using wifi, there's a white screen for about 30 seconds and then the title screen comes on, and when I'm not on wifi, it just goes to the title screen automatically. Just something I noticed.

11. I'm on iOS 6.0.1, and the only thing I've had wrong are the occasional lag, the random crashes, and one bug where any sand/gravel placed above ground gets deleted

12. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    I purely play in creative mode, and I must say, I'm pretty pleased with the update. The clouds are a welcome addition and the fog has more depth now. I haven't had much of a chance to experiment with the new blocks so far but there seems to be quite a few new ones added to creative mode.

[​IMG]

13. blackbear219

blackbear219 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    You guys can say "update and STFU" all you want, but it's pretty hard to play when all the blocks you mined magically reappear every time you re-enter your world.

14. visionwebs

Jan 24, 2012
    Exactly, one of the good reasons for using the forum is to find out about games and updates before making a mistake and downloading because it looks or sounds good but performs under par.

15. blackbear219

blackbear219 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Lots of people in the AppStore reviews complaining about lost progress as well. I mean, the nature of the game is that it's a waste of time but when it doesn't save your progress it's REALLY a waste of time. What a shame.

16. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    #496 nightc1, Jan 31, 2013
    I know some are saying that but certainly it's your choice to update or not. I sometimes miss 0.2 or whatever version I originally bought that only had Zombies running around and didn't have crafting. The simplicity made it a little more fun even without chests and so on. Just building to survive.

But so far with this version I've had no major issues. I started a new save, I dug a mine straight down and then mined an area. Shut off the game, killed it's process, reloaded... no problems at all. This was in creative mode so I started another save in survival using the seed "watchout" because I was in an island mood... and did the same tests. Well first I built a dirt house with a wood door and a fence w/gate so zombies couldn't break in... then when it got night I went in my house and dug straight down a two block wide tunnel then mined out two separate areas for supplies. Went back up, covered the hole over so I wouldn't fall down it and die... and quit the game. Forced it closed... re-opened the game and the save... removed the cover and the hole is still there. Repeated that a bunch of times... still... everthing is where it's supposed to be.

Maybe the people having issues are short on storage space or something? I'm on a 16gb 4S with 6.0.1 and about 600mb free.

17. visionwebs

Jan 24, 2012
    If this is the case might personally be worth downloading to find out.

18. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    It's the case so far with me. My kids have iPodTouch 4th gen devices with 6.0.1 (one has an 8gb model the other two have 16gb models)... and they haven't complained but I haven't nagged them about it. Maybe tonight I will have them test the update extensively including multiplayer. I could test it on my wifes iPhone 4 (8gb) as well with 5.something iOS. But so far on my 4S... no issues like those reported. Keep in mind all of the iOS devices in my home are not jailbroken either.

19. visionwebs

Jan 24, 2012
    #499 visionwebs, Jan 31, 2013
    Cool thanks.

Oh well, il take the plunge and see what this nether reactor thing is all about then. Mostly because I don't have anything to lose that I will get chocked up about.

Haven't played this since two version ago, does any one have good seeds to recommend? Not ones too common like nysn cat but good all round maps with all the resources. Or maybe one of three types.
    Mountain type, plains type and mixed type?

On the version I have (which is about to change) some maps don't even have reeds or what ever their called so seed selection is a concern. :)

EDIT: I wonder what mojangs obsession is with button style movement on a touch screen lol. A fluid control stick would work wonders with a jump button on the right hand side perhaps.

20. SmackDatButt

Jul 31, 2012
    I meant that I was running the Minecraft update 0.6.0

My iTouch 4th gen is on iOS 6.1 and has over 2 gigs of leftover space to perform. Maybe that ties into the issues people may be having.

Storage Issues.