iPhone Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Touchdoku, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Touchdoku

Touchdoku Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Unemployed
    Norway
    So Obsidian secured the Pathfinder license and their first game is a tablet version of the card game.

The game seems to blend RPG elements and a Card adventure

[​IMG]

2. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    That's exactly what it is. I have the physical version of this game and it is really awesome, but the rules are a lot to get your head around all at once, so I am REALLY looking forward to this coming out.

There are many places to find info and even watch playthroughs of the physical game, but in a nutshell, your characters are made of decks that are composed of cards that contain things like their items, equipment, spells, and abilities. Then each location is also made up of decks that contain encounters, monsters, and treasure.

Each location also starts with a boss in it, and one of them is the main boss of the adventure. You decide each turn which location to visit, then you flip over the next card from it and resolve it. If it is an item, then you can roll to acquire it, and each one required different stats to get, like for a spell you would roll and add your intelligence. If the card flipped is a monster, you fight it.

When you encounter the boss in that location and defeat it, you can attempt to "close" that location, unless it was the main boss, then when you beat them, they flee to another open location. The object of the adventure is to beat the main boss in the last open location.

What makes it challenging is that you are playing against a turn limit, represented by cards that you flip over each turn. When the last one is flipped and you have not won yet, you have failed the adventure.

So I know this won't be for everyone, and some people are already looking past this game and hoping that Obsidian will make a "real" CRPG version of Pathfinder, but this is obviously a good place for them to start, since there is a ready set of game mechanics to adapt to a digital format and no hard story for them to create.

But personally, I couldn't have hoped for better news than to see that this game is coming to my iPad.

3. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    The physical product of this card/board persistent rpg is amazing. I can't wait for this. Hopefully there are multiple ways to play with your friends.

Now if FFG or someone else would make iOS versions of their LCGs (particularly Warhammer), I'd be set forever.

4. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I will buy every expansion DLC they throw out for this! Day one purchase for me based off the physical game! A must own!

5. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    This appears to have great potential. Really looking forward to more info.

6. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Oh well, I can't wait!!!

7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Is it ok to necro this? I do so because there is actual news to share regarding this game. Looks like we won't have to wait too long now for it to come out, as BGG's "iOS Board Games" blog has reported that the "rough" release date was shared to be somewhere in Fall 2015. That means that within a few months, it will be out.

They also said something that hinted it might even be sooner than that!

8. xDiamond

xDiamond Member

Oct 12, 2015
    This now has a release date of March 29th.

It's F2P, but you pay for the adventures.
    Hints of a season pass too.
    Also there is a way to unlock all content via playing the game.

9. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
  10. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
  11. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Is this the thread for the Pathfinder Adventure game to be released April 26th?

12. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Looks like it. Can't wait. I've played the board game a few times with friends. Considering that setup and tear down were the only issues I ever had with it, this should be right up my alley.

13. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    the game looks cool. Do you have a gaming teaser ?