Hyper Square - Playtesters needed for puzzle/arcade game! (by TEAM SIGNAL)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by szu75, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. szu75

szu75 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Freelance
    Arizona
    #1 szu75, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

[size=+2]iOS 5/15 RELEASE!
    ANDROID + WINDOWS PHONE COMING SOON
    [/size]

Hey guys! I would like to introduce a game that my team and I have been working on for some time now for iOS + Android.

Hyper Square is an unique smart phone game which features fast-pace-arcade experience, a unique blend of art and music, and mind-bending puzzles. Think of Super Hexagon but not that unforgiving, and more on fast puzzle solving instead.

[​IMG]

The game is finished and pending release on the iOS, we will let you know ASAP when we finalize on a release date!

We hope you’re as excited as we are for Hyper Square! Please follow our fb and twitter for updates on our game!

-Szu75 from Team Signal

Hyper Square Website
    Team Signal Website
    Twitter@TeamSignalGames
    Facebook Page

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Minimal? Arcade game? Super Hexagon? I'm in
    Redeemed LLYTJKK3R7LH, will post impressions soon.

Oh, and you might want to post about this in Quick-Fun-Super Hard-Games. That's where all the masochistic IOS gamers hang out :)

3. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I redeemed TJRNANHFT6TY
    Thank you :)

That 3T3TEL4JPEYH has been redeemed too.

4. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Minimal, but still visually awesome. Good job!

5. szu75

szu75 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Freelance
    Arizona
    Wow I never knew there was such topic on the forum, thanks for the pointer! Looking forward to your impressions ;) One thing i gotta say is, I didn't went that far yet in terms of hardness, I'm still fiddling around the difficulty to see if I can find a perfect balance for both opposite spectrums of gamers

6. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    rushed over from the mentioned thread.
    All the codes have gone, hope those who took without acknowledging come back with impressions.
    Looks like a great game, I'll be keeping my eyes open for its release.

7. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    Also waiting for impressions. Looks great. Fingers crossed that maybe Sanuku got a code :p

8. Bronxsta

#8 Bronxsta, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Okay, here are those promised impressions:

- Fantastic minimalist design. I've grown something of a liking for abstract and minimal games and I love the simple yet effective design and mechanics in the menus and gameplay itself

- Gameplay is hard to describe. If I were to compare Hyper Square to something, it's like a mix of Neurokult and Squ4re, with a dash of Super Hexagon's lightning fast reflex-testing pace, but with its own unique style and gameplay. Each screen, you're presented with a square and must drag the square into a vacant spot before time runs out (which is wonderfully represented by a descending background element, no timers here). Seems simple, but before long, you'll only have a few seconds to react and three squares but only two openings, or squares that need to be dragged in two different directions.

The Neurokult comparison comes from the need to quickly assess the objects on screen and react accordingly, as well the tactile nature of the gameplay. And like Super Hexagon, you have to react in mere moments and levels quickly become frantic, white knuckle races against the clock.

- But that only described one mode. There are multiple modes and I've only played two. The rest need to be unlocked by reaching a certain score in the other modes. The second mode adds scaling to the mix, so you'll have to shrink and grow squares (by pinching in or out) as well as dragging them to the vacant spots to succeed. As you'd expect, this adds another layer of complexity and challenge to the gameplay and I can wait to see how the modes add to and complement the primary mechanic

- Honestly I can't think of anything negative right now. The first level or two ease you into the mechanic and then it evolves into a twitchy frantic reflex-testing puzzle/action game. The first two game styles are extremely fun and only makes me excited to see what the rest of the game has in store.

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This looks like one to watch

10. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Have been having a lot of fun with this this morning,

Level one, you need to drag squares to their box before the background sheet of colour drops to the bottom, it'll turn red when it's almost there and pop back up to the top if you complete. It's gets difficult quickly as more shapes appear and need dragging to various places
    Level two introduces a new mechanic whereas you begin by scaling boxes to make them bigger or smaller to fit the correct outline, as you advance the dragging and dropping mechanic from level one makes an appearance.
    Level three see starts with dragging and dropping again but this time squares are set at an angle.

Level three is as far as I've gotten, it's kind of hard to explain the game, your brain needs to look and decide what needs to go where then your fingers have to act quickly to excecute it all in a few seconds. Bit like twister for fingers,,,,, on acid. It's brilliant.

Are the level patterns set, as in you could pass by playing a lot of times and remembering the sequence? Is it possible to scale two squares at the same time in level 2? I tried but didn't succeed.

At first I noticed no pause button but then I realised in this type of game there'd be no point as by the time your hand reached the button you'd be dead anyways. I've got just one tiny little niggle and that's that it doesn't auto rotate, I like my home button in the right side when playing in portrait but that's just preference.

Like bronxta I can't think if any negatives, I look forward to seeing what the next levels bring.

I've done a little gameplay video of each of the three levels which I'm happy to email the dev. Not sure of the quality yet as it's dark and foggy and cold and miserable and wet, did I mention cold?

11. Bronxsta

I'm enjoying this on iPhone (@dev, plays well on iPhone 4 btw) but I think this game would play even better on an iPad. I feel like the larger screen would complement the gameplay quite nicely. I also could see potential for a same-device two player mode on iPad

12. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    #12 copaeci, Dec 11, 2013
    How can cloudpuff give her impression if she said she missed the promo code above? Or I misunderstood with her written above..:confused:

I haven't try this yet since I'm so busy this week. Gonna post some impression ASAP.

Edit: play for 5 minutes
    - this game definitely needs auto rotate.
    - the main page looks bit blurry and not full screen at my iPad 2
    - it's a gesture multi touch game. First level, let you to drag the block into the right hole. The background is a timer, you need to drag all the blocks before the time runs out.
    Second level is scale kind game, if up the first level use drag style game, this one use pinch control game. You need to resize the block and match it with the block template.
    - basically, it's an endless game with level based as the variation mechanic
    - the game has simple graphic and looks nice too.
    - I haven't play the third nor the fourth level, I need to play the first more to unlock. Will report some feedbacks later.
    Thank you :)

13. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    The dev was very kind and gave me a code for which I'm very thankful.

14. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Yeah that would be fun, perfect excuse for punching my husband square in the face for stealing my square haha.

15. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    My money is so ready for this.

16. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Been playing a lot more this afternoon and have unlocked level four which introduces rotation, it gets pretty frantically as the previous mechanics are also included after the first few seconds so you have to quickly see which square needs scaling, dragging or rotating.

Level one and two are my favourites, can't wait for gamecentre yo go active.

I got just over 13,000 for level one, how's everyone else doing?

Attached Files:

17. Bronxsta

Slowly improving, I'm up to 5,100 on Level One

18. szu75

szu75 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Freelance
    Arizona
    #18 szu75, Dec 11, 2013
    Woah, so many great impressions after a good night sleep, thank you so much! I will address all of your feedbacks in more details later when I can actually type on a keyboard instead of a smartphone:p

As for more promo codes, I will post 5 more codes on the first post in an hour or so when I'm able to access my computer! Actually, I will do something different, I will mail you a code if you show interest in playing and providing feedbacks/impressions, so just reply to this post and say you want to play test the game!

In the meantime, how do you guys on the difficulty curve? Is it too hard/easy?

19. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk

I think it's pretty spot on, I like that you get a little better each time you play.

20. szu75

szu75 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Freelance
    Arizona
    I think you explained the mechanics better than I do lol.

I'm gonna ask you this before answering your first question :p
    Do you see a rule or a sequence when playing through any of the levels?
    hint: Level 1 and 3 follows a different rule.

You can't scale two at the same time right now.

Good suggestion, I'll make sure to include the feature on the next build, thanks!

Hahaha gameplay videos are nice, please do mail it to me!

Oh by the way, I think GameCenter should be enabled (at least it shows on my screen), can I trouble you if you could confirm that it's working on your device?