The Official RPG Reload Club Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Grab DQVI! You will love it! I am on DQVII in Japan and it's my favorite of them all on mobile but VI you can't go wrong it's very good!

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    This, more or less. If someone else wants to keep it going, I'm all for it. I can even make a short news post for the front page sending people here. I can't join anymore though as I am very busy with my book.

3. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Any news on when the book releases? Not expecting an exact date just an idea and a little something about it
    I know you have one buyer right here!

4. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I've actually got DQIV, V and VI - I'm intending to play them in order this year! I've decided 2018 is going to be the year of (mostly) backlog on iOS. Still working through Layton's Mystery Journey at the moment, which is adorable, but it'll probably be DQIV after that. I'm in the mood!

5. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Best of luck on that then. We will all look forward to reading it.

6. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Definitely!

7. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Last couple days I have spent on going back to my save on FF Dimensions
    I am now 20 hours 27 mins into it and just got the Ranger job and starting a new chapter
    I like going for the F Abilities so I have been spending time on that lately

8. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I need to play that one more. Honestly though, I really have enjoyed my time with FFD2. So weird since I normally would rather explore a world map. But of course, I’m still taking my sweet time in FFXVPE.

9. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I also played FFDimensions. And today I played Secret of Mana with another player! That was fun! The game shines in multiplayer where ai don't get stuck all the time!

What game would we want to tackle in a play along?

10. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hey! So I apologize if this is a cop-out, but it will release "when it's done". I can't narrow it down any further than sometime between July and December of this year, as it depends on how quickly I can play and write everything for it. It will be available as an eBook or in hard copy, most likely through Amazon.

The book's tentative title is "Pocket Adventures: A Historical Index of Handheld RPGs and Adventure Games", and it covers every English RPG and adventure game released on Game Boy and Game Gear from 1989 to 1996. It's the first volume of what I hope will be a series. There will be 27 games covered in the first volume, including Final Fantasy Legend, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Shining Force: The Sword of Hayja, The Sword of Hope, Ultima: Runes of Virtue, Defenders of Oasis, Metroid 2, and a whole lot more. Each game's entry has a section dedicated to its history, then the game itself. I've finished four entries so far, so my progress is going alright.

If you want to read it all early, you can subscribe to my Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ShaunMusgrave), where I'm updating each section as I finish them. Patreon subscribers will likely have a way to get the finished book in some form or another for free, but I haven't figured out the details on that yet so don't subscribe on that basis. Otherwise, just hold tight. I'm sure Eli will allow me to announce the book on the front page once it's ready for sale.

11. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Everyone needs to jump on the Patreon. The entries so far have been everything you would expect from Shaun. Detailed, insightful, informative, and interesting. I’ve never owned a Gameboy or Game Gear but I’ve really enjoyed learning about these games. I kinda want a Gameboy now.

If the word gets out to the right people, this book will sell like hot cakes and Shaun will get the recognition he deserves. Hoping for the best!

12. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Already there ^^ And I agree wholeheartedly. Before this group and the reloads there never seemed to be enough rpg articles out there.

I'm lookong forward to the book a lot Shaun, but take your time and make it something that you're happy with #

Also I would suggest twitter as a means to promote it. Also if you get on Patreon it can be posted there. There's plenty of rpg lover there and other gamers.

I actually grew up with a game boy :) But there's many games I never played. Some of them are on 3ds if any of you want to play game boy games without buying a game boy :)

13. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Finished Romancing SaGa 2!!! Epic journey! Played it on Vita. 99 hours, but I'm going back later for more playthroughs. I want plat for it and I can see this being a game I would love to play once a year or so.

14. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I'm also already in on Shaun's Patreon - he's the only reason I signed up for the site. I'm particularly enjoying this set of articles about Game Boy RPGs, since I was late to the party (I did not get a GB until the GB Pocket came out). Between the timing of my GB purchase and the fact that I didn't have a Gamestop or related store in my hometown, I had to rely on whatever games Sears and Wal-Mart had in stock. So, pretty much, my original Game Boy library consisted of nothing but Link's Awakening, Tetris, Pokemon Red/Blue, Mario, Wario, and Mega Man titles. Which was still well worth it! But of the list of 25 games he's working through now, I'd only played 2 and only heard of a couple others.

Speaking of handheld Zelda games, I finished Oracle of Ages a couple days ago and I'm flying through Oracle of Seasons. Already into dungeon 5. A games writer/podcaster I follow on Twitter told me the opening of OoS was easy, and he was right - three out of the first four bosses are just about copy/pasted from the original TLOZ. I'm all for recurring enemies, but when you add in diagonal movement and jumping, enemies like the Gohma and Dodongo don't really stand much of a chance.

15. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    I am continuing with playing all my DQ games and I am on Part VIII now... is there no gold slime in this one? sure can't find any so I just figured it was left out
    VIII is a game I have never given proper time to and I can look back and see why
    it's a bit slow to start but now that I have reached the point of having all 4 characters I am enjoying it
    I always hated the fact there were no jobs but now that i understand the skill points system it is like a jobs system in you can dictate how you want to make your character i.e fistacuffs=monk, bows=ranger etc
    can't wait to be off work so I can dive back in :)

16. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yeah, VIII is easily one of my favorite games ever. I first played it on iOS and was blown away. I've since picked it up a good PS2 copy. But I'd love to see a remaster done for PS4 and Vita. Instead, they went with the DS. Hopefully, we'll eventually see it on a Playstation again, even if they just port it over as a PS2 Classic.

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    #1997 Dailon80, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    I have a working PS2 and lots of games including all the FF PS1 and PS2 games but I want to get this one for PS2 for sure, are there any differences besides just the gold slime in the PS2 and ios versions?
    I even saw a copy for sale that includes the FFXII demo thats the one i want even though I have FFXII :)
    I still like VII best but this one is close 2nd for me

18. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I would love to have this on Ps4 or Vita!! Or any Dragon Quest for that matter.

I'm playing Dragon Quest V. Very good although I have hit a slower part now.

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    13 hours 2 mins in on DQVIII
    Maybe it is the best one :)
    Loving the recipes and alchemy pot
    Still have a ways to go so more to see and do
    Enjoying it a lot

20. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Started DQVI this morning with the plan of making it to the Alltrades Abbey today
    Gonna be tough to do that in one day so far so good
    About to head to Amor