What is your opinion on ads in game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by shakra, Oct 11, 2010.

1. shakra

shakra Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I'm working on a new multiplayer game that we hope to have out by the end of the year, and I want to release it for free so people are always able to find someone to play against. We were thinking about having a $.99 version with no ads and single player, but I wanted to get others opinion on it.

I always told myself I wouldn't do ads in a game because I really hate them, but spending 8 months on a game we decide to release for free kind of stings too.

So what do you guys think of this method? Free multiplayer with ads, $.99 upgrade to do away with ads and ad single player.

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    If it's free and the ads are unintrusive to gameplay, I'm okay with them.

If I paid for the app and see any ads, though, I despise that. :(

3. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    If it's a free app I really don't mind the ads. If it's a paid version with adds then yes i do get pissed. Your idea of paying 99 cents to remove the adds and add single player seems fair enough altough i'm not sure how others will react to this but spending 8 months on an app i can understand your decision to do this.

4. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I wouldn't mind. I would actually prefer it becuase i don't mind ads and i always love a free multiplayer game. Mind posting screenshots of what your working on?

5. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    If it's free than fine, but if I see any ads in a paid game then I usually give it a 1 star.

6. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    As long as the ads aren't annoying and don't hinder the performance. Text Plus's ads are annoying as shit and they bog the app down.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    What about In-App-Purchases instead of ads?

8. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I'd say do a pro version instead of an IAP since the people who write reviews seem to think that IAP is 'evil' and devs who use IAP are greedy scam artists. But they don't have a problem with a Pro or Deluxe version.

9. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I think it really depends on how IAP is implemented. Too many devs use IAP to give players an unfair advantage in the game. If you just do benign things like cosmetic features, then it isn't bad at all.

10. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    RocketCat did something like this with Hook Champ. A couple characters had no advantage, except for Hookbot, but reviews still complained about them being greedy devs. It's not the IAP's problem, it's the consumer being spoiled by insanely popular 99cent games with free updates forever.

11. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, generally if it's not going to affect your gameplay (like the costumes in SFIV, which you are by no means forced to purchase), then by all means, go ahead and implement IAP. I also like the idea of allowing you to either purchase the full version from within a lite version, or purchase the game piece by piece through IAP. Even when you are allowed to buy boosts or items through IAP, it's not as if you're being forced to purchase these add-ons, and it just seems like such a trivial thing to complain about.

12. shakra

shakra Member

Sep 11, 2009
    It has to be an in app purchase otherwise the 2 versions can't play together (limit of plus + instead of my own servers).

The upgrade wouldn't change the multiplayer aspects at all. It would only add in single player and remove ads.

I can't really post a ss yet as I'm currently redoing the art for the 3rd time :) IM NEVER HAPPY