Freemium gaining ground on the App Store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TimoVihola, Dec 19, 2010.

1. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    This is how the top grossing games list looks like on US iTunes:

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    2. Angry Birds (0.99 USD)
    3. Infinity Blade (5.99 USD)
    4. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (EA sale price: 0.99 USD - 3 In App Purchases)
    5. NOVA 2 (6.99 USD)
    6. Tetris (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    7. Angry Birds Seasons (0.99 USD)
    8. Tap Zoo: Christmas (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 0.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)
    9. Smurfs' Village (Freemium - 9 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)

10. Real Racing 2 (9.99 USD)

11. Zombie Farm (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases)
    12. Madden NFL 11 (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    13. Cut the Rope (0.99 USD)
    14. Original Gangstaz (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 1.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)
    15. Doodle Jump Christmas Special (0.99 USD)
    16. NBA Elite 11 (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    17. Plants vs Zombies (2.99 USD)
    18. Scrabble (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    19. Texas Poker (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases)
    20. Tap Zoo (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 0.99 USD, the most expensive is 19.99 USD)

21. Aralon (6.99 USD)
    22. The Sims 3 (EA sale price: 0.99 USD - 10 or more In App Purchases)
    23. Call of Duty Zombies (4.99 USD)
    24. Kingdoms at War (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases)
    25. World War (Freemium - 5 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)

26. Fruit Ninja (0.99 USD)
    27. Bloons TD 4 (2.99 USD)
    28. Original Gangstaz Rock (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases)
    29. iMobsters (Freemium - 5 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)

30. Fifa 11 (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)

31. Monopoly (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    32. Trade Nations (Freemium - 8 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 0.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)
    33. Haypi Kingdom (Freemium - 6 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 0.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)
    34. Restaurant Story (Freemium - 5 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)

35. Words With Friends (2.99 USD)
    36. We Rule Quests (Freemium - 10 or more In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 0.99 USD, the most expensive is 39.99 USD)
    37. The Sims 3 Ambitions (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    38. The Game Of Life (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    39. Bejeweled 2 + Blitz (0.99 USD - 4 In App Purchases)
    40. Live Poker by Zynga (Freemium - 5 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)

41. Dungeon Hunter 2 (6.99 USD)
    42. Pictureka! (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    43. Farmville by Zynga (Freemium - 9 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 49.99 USD)
    44. Risk (0.99 USD)
    45. Doodle Jump (0.99 USD)
    46. Tiger Woods PGA Tour (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    47. Bakery Story (Freemium - 5 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)
    48. Need for Speed Undercover (EA sale price: 0.99 USD)
    49. Treasure Story (Freemium - 5 In App Purchases - Cheapest IAP is 4.99 USD, the most expensive is 99.99 USD)
    50. High Caliber Hunting (EA sale price: 0.99 USD - 2 In App Purchases)

1st place goes to 99 cent games. They are dominating the list barely: 23 out of 50 are 0.99 USD. (The big EA sale has probably messed up these numbers somewhat)

2nd place goes to freemium. Out of the 50 games there's 18 freemium games. (I've marked them with bold)

3rd place goes to games that are more than 0.99 USD, there's 9 of those.

22 games out of 50 have some kind of In App Purchases.

Freemium can turn out to be very expensive if you end up buying the ingame currency. For example let's take a closer look at the freemium title called World War:

[​IMG]

The 99 dollar IAP is number two according to iTunes, only the 99 cent content pack is above it. 99 USD is more than you can spend on a full blown PS3 or Xbox 360 game... unless you're buying something like Guitar Hero with the guitars or Rock Band :p

I personally would like to see more games like Aralon, Infinity Blade or Real Racing 2. I don't really play freemium games because it feels like I'm being fed some designer drug instead of window to another world. Speaking of which Another World was a cool game :)

2. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Before everyone starts thinking of jumping into the freemium space, the guys at the top of the list spend a lot of money advertising as well. You have to have some money to really push yourself up the list and then keep it there; it's not cheap. I don't want to start a flame war by posting estimates, but it's usually out of the range of a typical indie dev.

With that said, you can make a living doing Freemium/IAP even if you don't show up on the list. Noel has posted about this as well as hosted a session at 360 iDev. Brian Robbins also had a session with some numbers at the last 360 iDev.

3. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Cool thanks for the link MrBlue, I'll check it out. You are right about how much companies like ngmoco pour into advertising and marketing. It'll be interesting to see if any of us indies can manage to make it in this market.

We're stoked to be entering the free to play market as well with our first game, though our marketing budget is many times smaller than what ngmoco puts out. :D Trying to avoid the whole "designer drug" feel and go a different route.

4. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #4 dyscode, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
    WOOT! I am totally impressed by your list! Which I take as a warning list.

Just let me add some note of mine:

I really despise games with the F-word. It breaths wrongness for nearly everything it represents from a consumer point and I also feel destroys a lot of the trust relationship between consumer and company.

Esp. when games are just about shoving it into your face that they are ONLY about making money.
    Well on the other side most if you fall for that you don´t deserve any better. And parents leaving their children with an iPod and an open online account don´t deserve better either, essentially. But I still care since the iTunes store is still not perfect and has still a lot of room for improvements.

Most of the DLC /IAP problem is when you uninstall a game and the developer withdraws that game from the appstore. You cannot restore a DLC dependent game since you cannot redownload the content anymore.

This is totally diametrical to the notion of BUYING, even if it´s only a license to use. If you have a licensed copy you can still run older games whose publisher doesn´t exist anymore.
    But with Subscriptions and DLC otherwise and in the AppStore, the game usage licensing model shifts from unlimited after buying to limited rental.

And I don´t like that at all.

I also don´t have problems with game subscriptions, like World of Warcraft etc. It´s ok to pay for dedicated server time, if it´s worth to you. As long as you are aware that the purchase you made is dependent on the existence of specific service (e.g. Blizzard, Steam, etc.)
    Maybe, with big and healthy standing companies like Steam or Blizzard it is less likely that these services suddenly stop. But it is far more likely that small independent companies drop out of business.

And personally I really would pay higher prices if the developer chose not to use DLC. People complaining about $2 is too expensive for a game. That simply cannot be. What in the real world can you get for $2? Not very much.

As a result we need a lot more awareness for the consequences of DLC and IAP on BOTH, the developer side and the consumer side, to understand what we are doing and where this is heading to.

5. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    You are right about that, it's a big issue. What happens if you drop $99 on that big bucket o' gold and your iphone crashes? Kind of a big deal!

We are going to be exploring this issue very soon. I'd imagine it's as simple as storing all user data in a database on a server so that when they log in from any device they can access their stash of goods. However, we haven't reached that point in the development yet, so I can't say for sure.

It could work though right? Servers are cheap enough these days... $50 a month gets you a pretty well outfitted VPS, the cost shouldn't be an issue at all.

6. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    What are the three iap for need for speed hp?

7. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    Stirolak26, Hot Pursuit IAP's are:

1. $3,000,000 Bounty Boost (costs 2.99 USD)
    2. $1,500,000 Bounty Boost (costs 1.99 USD)
    3. $500,000 Bounty Boost (costs 0.99 USD)

I have no idea what they do, I've only tried the game briefly.

8. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #8 dyscode, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    For me it´s really less about the money I spent. It´about being able to play the game like 3 years from know. I play games that are 20 old because I love them not because they were expensive or not back then.

Or taking you first sentence as a metaphor, yes it´s the drop of poison that spoils the well.

9. Brandon Pollet

Brandon Pollet Well-Known Member

Very interesting

Thanks for breaking up the list like this. We plan to release our next game with ads and possibly the ability to buy in-game currency as well. I know a lot of people on the forums hate freemium style games but there is obviously a large group of people who enjoy them, and don't mind the in-app purchases.

Personally, I think that as long as it isn't destructive to the gameplay it's fine, not everyone has as much time to devote to grinding for gold and would rather just spend an extra dollar or two.

With that said, I can't believe that $99 in-app purchase. That seems crazy to me.

10. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Yes, it´s a BIG difference if IAP makes the game just easier, like coins yu can always grind for, otherwise, or if it RELIES on IAP to complete the game or significantly chances the experience.

And $99 of IAP with now real value in return, like with Realworld Navigational Maps for GPS/Traffic Computers etc. these morals are highly questionable.

11. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    You want to play ios games from yesterday in 3 years? Wow!

People dont play games they bought last week. This market is all about playing now, in tiny doses of an mc donalds meal. Pay, play, forget, rinse and repeat.

I hardly doubt you will be able to play most of ios games in 3 years. The ios platform is not meant to be backwards compatible, so better hold on to your "old" ios devices if you wish to play todays games in a couple years.

As for freemium, thats the trend of earning money. Just because a few people dont like it doest mean it will not be the premiere income quite soon.
    Thats the way the roads leads too.

The pay for play is actualy pretty fair. If i buy acretail game for 50$ i'm stuck with it..no one cares if i play it 5 hours or 500.. But thats unfair to the mayority who play only a little bit.. So freemium comes along, try free, pay later as long as you wish.. Dont like it stop playing it and you only paid what you consumed.

If you are an old guy playing ancient games you should know how arcades work.. And freemium is nothing different. And if someone spends 99$ on an iap he will usualy spend alot more time with title x than the average joe.

Maybee the 99$ iap is the first in the list making it look like .99$ to scam people into buying the expensive one :) hehe who knows.. And no i have had such ideas never ever.. 99, 199, 299 etc hehe who knows how many customer wont notice the little dot missing 8]

12. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

This whole aversion to IAP just makes no sense to me.

Imo if the IAPs are just for a bunch of extras, whats the big whoop? For me it boils down simply to "is the IAP cool and worth it?" If it is, then good, go ahead and buy it. If not? Doesn't matter, won't buy it and I can go along enjoying the game as is. Its not like by having EXTRA stuff in the form of IAPs, it REMOVES anything from the initial game.

I mean, just think if you bought an awesome, fully featured game for $1.99, complete with many levels, etc. Then 3 months later the devs build a bunch of extra levels, new abilities, etc and charge $.99 for an "expansion pack." What is so wrong about that? If you don't want the extra content, then you don't have to buy it... its really as simple as that. Its frustrating to see people who say that automatically boycott games with IAP in it, no matter what the scenario. Jet Car Stunts is a good example of this... if you enjoy the fully featured game when you first buy it and want more, its nice to have that IAP in there to fulfill those players who love the game and want more.

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I tend to think the people against IAP are one of the most vocal minorities I've ever seen. If the majority of people hated IAP, the top grossing lists wouldn't be littered with freemium titles.

14. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I guess people feel that if IAP didn't exist they'd be getting that expansion pack for free instead of having to pay $.99 cents for it. Plus looking at how DLC on console games turned out, there's certainly reason to be worried. Whether those fears prove unfounded or not, is still too early to tell (though $100 IAP in kid games certainly can't be helpful in building goodwill toward the system).

15. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

whats wrong with DLC on consoles? works pretty flawless..

at the end there are quite different things one can do with IAP.. most freemium games who are designed as free to play, don't give you any new levels or maps, cars whatever for the money you spent.. they give you time..
    the money you spend saves you time in the game and lets you progress faster.

and a 100$ is just an offer.. makes no difference if you buy the 1$ iap 100x or once the 100$ one.. except usualy the later is a better deal.

16. crazygambit

Nov 15, 2010
    I was talking about how kids buy them without realizing, since they don't even require a password. So $100 for one DOES make a huge difference for the parent. It's a borderline scam.

As for DLC on consoles I wouldn't exactly call it flawless from a consumer point of view.

17. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well havent heart in ages about mayor dlc issues with any of the big platform..
    so i don't know what you mean about consumer point of view.

as for iap, they always need verification.. if you give your kids your itunes passwort you can hand them your credit card directly.. and if your careless how you interact with the appstore thats your own fault too.. you can restrict pretty much everything on your kids ipod touch.. or at least log yourself off itunes if you are uncertain if the auto logoff is in effect..

you don't leave the locker to your your gun open and wonder when youd kid shot themself.. there is this thing called parenting.. this applies to pretty much everything.. you have to take care that the stuff you hand your kids is safe.. if you don't well don't point the finger to someone else to blame.. ridiculous..

18. crazygambit

Nov 15, 2010
    You have a point that parents should be more cautious, but companies know full well that most parents aren't tech savvy enough to enable those parenting controls. And the point I was making is that you CAN buy the $100 IAP WITHOUT the need to enter a password. So yeah, you might wanna get your facts straight before you defend the practice.

As for console DLC I hope you're happy paying 5-10 bucks for a couple of maps that you'll never get to play online because not everyone has them so they never enter the regular rotations anyway. And I'm not even bringing up
    the DLC that's already on the disc, but they charge you to unlock it all the same. (That's what I mean by consumer POV).

19. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    call me old fashioned but I get nervous at the idea of a game charging me real money while I play it.

That's my main knock against IAP. So I never download any game thats "freemium".

20. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    #20 BravadoWaffle, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    I was reading an article a bit ago about how the iPhone sometimes does mess up and not force the player to enter a password to get DLC, even after the 15 minute timer is up. This leads to kids racking up obscene iTunes bills sometimes. Thankfully, parents can disable in app purchasing all together now, so when they learn about that hopefully they will use it!

As far as DLC for levels that aren't in the regular rotation of online play, this would only apply to multiplayer online games, not necessarily further levels in a single player game. However, it is an issue you are right.

RoboArena is going to be a multiplayer online game though, so it is an issue that we have been thinking about. Especially since we plan on releasing new multiplayer level packs. I think the trick is making it attractive enough and cheap enough that everybody wants it.

Pocket Legends is an example of a game that does a great job selling level packs that every player buys and eagerly awaits. In fact, Pocket Legends is the best example of a working and profitable F2P system that I know of on the App store. It's how we plan to build our business plan.

I wrote a blog post on our site about how we plan to do our In App Purchases, take a look at it if you want and let me know how it sounds (or if it makes sense...): http://www.bravadowaffle.com/2010/12/roboarena-in-app-purchases/