Potentially useful Plague Inc. interview

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ndemic Creations, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Hey guys

I recently gave a detailed interview / podcast on Plague Inc and its development. I give a few of my top lessons learnt etc in it and thought some people here may find it helpful / motivational.

Content starts around 3 mins in. Development stuff a few minutes later.

http://bit.ly/QQbYba

2. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

Excellent Interview

Thanks for sharing it, it's a great interview and congratulations on the game's success! Well done.

3. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I don't want to come across as too assholeish here, but it sounds like your business plan was "hire people to clone a popular flash game". This obviously worked out well for you, and I'm sure plenty of hard work and new ideas went into the game, but this whole story just kinda sticks me in an uncomfortable zyngaesque way :/

4. Ndemic Creations

NP, everyone is entitled to their own opinion :)
    I was absolutely inspired by pandemic 2 and I have always made this clear. However, there was no cloning here. I wanted to make a game that improved significantly on pandemic 2 in every way and was its own unique game. I believe I achieved that and the vast, vast majority of fans and reviewers seem to agree with me.

(ChaoticBox - a question - have you played Plague Inc yet?)

5. Afftor

Afftor Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Game Designer
    Congrats!

Congrats - good job on your game! Are you planning on making more games from now on, or concentrate on keeping Plague afloat?

to ChaoticBox
    The thing is - most of casual games are clones and remakes on each other or older flash games (Angry Birds or any Tower Defense or almost anything else - you name it). There is nothing bad in using ideas and mechanics someone else invented - if you do it well, implement new features and make your game great experience for players.

6. Zenout

Zenout Well-Known Member

Highly enjoyed your interview thanks for sharing. You and your team sound great, I like the details.

7. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    #7 ChaoticBox, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    I haven't (haven't played Pandemic either) but I've read reviews and seen videos of both...

Inspiration, borrowed/mis-matched mechanics fine - ideas are built on older ideas - not arguing that. And I'm not sure I'd label Plague a "clone" exactly - though the Pandemic guys might disagree ;) However, the theme/atmosphere of Plague is so similar to Pandemic that it's a real fine line. I wouldn't blame a user for thinking Plague was a sequel.

8. Ndemic Creations

9. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada