Older device worth it for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DeNappa, Jun 15, 2015.

1. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    At my work, there's currently two ipads being sold. They're old test devices that aren't used any more, 1st gen ipads 16GB running ios 5.1. From a gaming point of view, would it be interesting to acquire one of these? As in, are there a lot of 'old' games that run exclusively on 5.1 or older, that are unlikely ever to be updated?
    Also, what would you consider a fair price? (they have set a reserve/min price of €30)
    I probably won't bother, but hey, maybe there's a must have title reason to offer up some cash. :D

2. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Short answer: No. Most games have either been updated to iOS 8 or removed from the store.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Agreed. Don't bother with that!

4. DeNappa

DeNappa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Netherlands
    Hehe, glancing at my backlog of games (across multiple devices), books, and tv shows, i'm actually kinda glad with a resolute "no". :p

5. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Well, even though most apps have been changed to also support iOS 8, games and apps still work on older OSes.... I've got an Ipod Touch 5 that's still on ios7.0.4. I'm able to run games like the ones below just fine. IOW, they haven't forced users to require ios8 (yet). Give it a few years though, all bets are likely off.

Castlestorm, Cut The Rope 2, Plants Vs. Zombies 2, Ascension: Chronicle Of The Godslayer

However, in the case of the OP....
    If you wanted the absolutely cheapest entry point into Ipad gaming, then this would be it. I don't know if it's possible to find out what apps support what range of iOS (probably just check the dev's site or email them), but if you find a decent selection, you can have your cake and still eat it too.

However, an Ipad1 isn't just old by today's standards, it's ancient. Some folks have described their Ipad1's as "a glorified web browser that plays Angry Birds".

-It's really bulky relative to other Ipads
    -Even the Ipad2 had 9x the processing power of the first, so expect things to run slowly
    -Ipad2 shaved off alot of bulk from its predecessor
    -Even though game updates still support ios7 (I can attest to that), ios5 seems like it'll have very few takers
    -You can make 16 GB work, but only if you play a few dozen games at a time, and don't do anything else with it that eats up storage space, like multimedia. "On the plus side", the games that take up 700MB to 1.5 GB probably won't run or run well on an Ipad1, so you don't have to worry about those anyways.