Just wait for the Price Drop?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by colbertj, Jul 2, 2009.

1. colbertj

colbertj Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    With the massive price drops coming from some of the publishing giants, is it worth it to just wait a couple weeks to save some dough? Over the past few weeks, I added Knights Onrush, Peggle, Let's Golf, and Heroes of Sparta for a buck each. One prime example is Zenonia which I really want, but am waiting for the price drop before adding. I guess what it boils down to is, will this formula hold up:

$40.00 = time + $4.00.

Will there be a backlash of either higher prices up front or just an end to these price drops?

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Hard to say.

But - I've got plenty of good games on my iPod Touch right now, have the time to check the price drop page here (and on 148 Apps) daily, so I really don't mind waiting for those price drops.

On the other hand, I have started taking a few more chances on games, I'm really glad I bought Jasuto [link] when it was early in development, as the price has since gone up from 99 cents. Recently I did the same for ISR Race to the Moon [link] which is currently more of a tech demo right now, but the dev is active here and once fleshed out this game should be great.

3. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Welcome to TA colbertj!

I cannot tell for sure if Zenonia will go down on the Price, its selling really well..

A few Games that went up on the Price as promised by the Devs or came back from the sale..

I Dig it
    Zen Bound
    Crazy Penguin Catapult
    Knights Onrush which went back to $2.99

A few Fell to be listed in the Top 100
    Peggle
    Toki Tori
    Asphalt 4 : Elite Racing
    Hero of Sparta
    Knights Onrush which went back to $2.99

Note : mentioning Knights Onrush in two segments is not a typo

Fieldrunners went on a Sale.... that took a very long time though.
    Rolando went on a Sale, however quite a few of us have been craving for it to go for $1 & have been satisfing ourself with the Lite version.

To summarize it, It depends on the Dev & the publisher or the Dev or the Publisher.

Thanx for reading it peeps.

4. Happy Noodle Boy

Happy Noodle Boy Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    I don't see the point in waiting. $5-10 for a game is hardly going to break my bank account. Could I wait for a price drop? Sure, but even in this market where price drops are almost a given for every game, I rather just pay for it when it's released if I have an interest for it rather than wait X weeks/month just to save myself a couple of bucks.

The only time I've waited to get something new wasn't because of a possible price drop but because I already had 4-5 games in my backlog to still play through so I stop all purchases until I was done with what I already had.

5. Nitzan

Nitzan Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised if the app price issues will be "resolved" when companies start using 3.0's "pay for more content" feature.

My guess is we'll see lots of games come out at $0.99 with very little content, and additional content will cost $$$.

6. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    You could wait for a drop, but it's not really that nice to be a couple months, weeks at best, behind everyone else.

7. colbertj

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    Paid DLC is definitely not something I'm not looking forward to. Let's hope we don't see what is currently going on with the consoles by releasing essentially unfinished games with content quickly released.

Slowly but surely the 'total price' of games might start to creep up to match other platform counterparts....

8. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    True, but if you wait, ironically you pay less for a game that has had all the major flaws/bugs taken out. Go figure...

9. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    Seriously just buy ZENONIA!!! Totally worth the money! Also I don't think Gamevil will drop its price, at least not for a really long time. Gamevil didnt drop the price of Super Baseball Stars and they didnt drop the price of ZENONIA with the new update. It's a really fun game that u can easily squeeze out 20+ hours of gameplay (if u dont rush through it).

10. MojoArcanus

MojoArcanus Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I hear this a lot on the forums, but I just can't see that ever happening. I still don't see the iphone anywhere close to being in the same league as the PSP, or consoles such as PS2, PS3, XBox. Touch gaming just can't go that far, imo, and although I've been impressed by the iphone games recently, even the best of the best can't stand up to a good PSP game. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my iPotch, but I can't compare it's games to what I play on my PSP or consoles.

11. colbertj

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    I felt the same way when I first got my ipod, until I really started to focus on what the touch games are capable of, rather than what they can't do. No, we won't see games comparable to Xbox/PS3, but that shouldn't be what you are looking for. For 60 bucks, a kick ass HD set with surround, you get those captivating experiences that you really can't get anywhere else. However, for a very marginal price (even 5 and 10 bucks!), you can get a high quality, polished game that is just as engrossing as any console game. Take them as complementary, no competitors.

However, it would be nice if someone did an analysis on the sales of Ipod games to see if there is any affect on console purchases. Perhaps this could lead to lower prices overall? Yeah RIGHT!!

12. colbertj

Jun 28, 2009
    College Professor
    Massachusetts
    Zenonia price job! Glad I waited because I don't feel as though I missed out on anything. Ready to enjoy an epic Iphone game!