Gesture based controls in games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Blackharon, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I'm having trouble coming up with a small list of games that use gestures to accomplish a goal. The best use I have seen is in Lego Harry Potter where you draw certain symbols to cast spells.

Are these kind of gesture based controls popular with players? Do they annoy you? Are there other games that use something similar?

2. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    I guess it depends on what type of gestures. Angry Birds technically uses gestures...you have to tap hold and pull back to sling shot the birds.

The only other game that I've played that uses more gestures was Charadium, but what you draw was merely displayed to other users who must guess what you're drawing.

I would say it all depends on how complex your gestures are, and if they take too much away from game play where the user has to really think about how to gesture in order to enjoy the game, making it difficult to play.

Perhaps an example of the type of gestures you want to use could help, as I could try imagine myself utilizing it on my iPhone.

3. Okami on the Wii had you drawing shape-spells with the WiiMote, very annoying to me. On the other hand, Kirby's Canvas Curse had you drawing platforms and things with the DS touchscreen, very fun -- there's a similar iOS platformer but I cannot remember its name for the life of me.

Arguably the controls in iOS Street Fighter are gestures.

A multitouch game where you have to draw a shape with two/three fingers simultaneously would intrigue me...

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    True - everything including swipes are gestures. I should have stated 'elaborate' gestures ;)

It was suggested that we use some elaborate gestures in our upcoming game to activate certain objects within a level... I'm on the fence since I could only think of the one game that included it and it worked out fairly well, but on the other hand I could see it getting frustrating quickly!