Best Gaming Device: iPad Air vs Retina Mini?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sofakng, Dec 11, 2013.

1. sofakng

sofakng Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I currently have an iPad Air 32 GB (wish I went for 64 GB), but I'm finding some of the games require my hands to move around the screen and I'm wondering if the iPad Mini's smaller screen would make it easier.

For example, Oceanhorn, Infinity Blade, Junk Jack (?), Real Racing 3 (and other games requiring you to tilt the device, etc)

However... other games are much better on the bigger screen: Baldurs Gate, Magic The Gathering, Kingdom Rush, etc.

If both devices cost the exact same, and you were only going to use it for gaming, which would you prefer?

(I'm very fortunate and could afford to buy a iPad Mini 16 GB (alongside my iPad Air) just for the games that are better on it, but I'm just not sure if it's a complete waste...)

2. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    I have a iPad mini with retina display 128GB and I love it. The form factor is perfect for gaming and it is SO light.

3. Ipad air for sure.

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Ipad mini with retina. Got one to replace my ipad 3 and its the perfect size and weight for my preferences. Its smaller for boardgames..but I tend to play more games with virtual controls so the size and weight of the ipad mini is perfect for me.

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Well iPad air for me as I love the larger screen and since the weight and thickness between the air and mini isnt that much different anymore its a no brainer!

6. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    ipad mini 2 is better for games thats my opinion...

7. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    iPad mini was my first "iPad" and I loved it. Bought an air because they were on sale (32 GB for $540). Basically couldn't pass up the larger screen and slightly faster processor. And as stated above the difference in thickness and weight between the air and mini with retina is pretty much negligible. I'm very happy with my decision to go with the air vs the mini with retina.

8. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I own an iPad air and I think it's great, but there are a lot of rumours about an "iPad pro" coming soon so I would wait.
    If you really want to get one now though air is better

9. Get an ipad air and a big phone like the note 3. With a big phone, it kind of feels almost like a tablet. Couldn't game before on an iphone cause the screen was so small, but a big screen on a phone with an air is the best combo. Probably next year apple will be coming out with a big iphone 6, so that will be a factor even for ios.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I dont have any yet as im waiting for the ipad mini retina to be available in my local iShops, but this thread is a good informative read.

Before these high-powered pads, i preferred the ipad mini (non-retina) over my ipad3, mostly because of the size and weight which was perfect for hours of gaming.

I am already inclined to buy an ipad mini retina when it becomes available here, but im really interested in the ipad Air because of the reduced weight, but still retaining the wider screen.

I did prefer the ipad3 over the mini in some instances though, like in most adventure games, board games, and strategy games. But as mentioned in this thread, some games become a little difficult to play on the larger screen, especially those with keypads, vsticks, and buttons. To be honest, i wasnt enjoying EPOCH on the ipad3 as much as i did on both the ipod touch, iphone 4s and on the Mini. :)

I think the ipad mini retina and the ipad air will arrive at my local iShops the same time, so i will consider both as my purchase for my christmas gift to myself.

Would like to read more specifics on these ithings, and im glad we have this thread for that. Keep discussing!

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Get an air EP the weight difference is not even noticable really. But..... The bigger screen is very noticable :)