Help me improve my animation

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by iplayallday, Jun 11, 2015.

1. iplayallday

iplayallday Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #1 iplayallday, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    So this is something that I've been working on but I just can't quite get the animation for double jump right. When I showed it to people they say it looks weird so I'm trying to see if I can get more inputs from you guys on what's wrong and possibly how to improve it.

ps : I was going for a piked somersault for a more graceful movement but it seems it makes it less action-y than the usual somersault.. not sure if i'm overthinking it though.

Thanks

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    If anything, I think it's too slow. The animation itself is alright, maybe a little too stiff but looks just fine.

3. MGP Studios

MGP Studios Active Member

Dec 20, 2014
    As above, the animation is fine. My 2 cents: you could try tweaking or adding some leg movement during the jump for a more dynamic/dramatic effect/pose. Also some subtle blur during the jump would give a sense of speed.

But nice job overall, has a certain Muramasa/Vanillaware vibe to it

4. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I agree with the speed. I think that the somersault needs to be a little faster. Also, look at some videos of gymnasts do flips in mid air, or even better, divers. They tuck their legs in during the spin and extend them for the landing. I think that incorporating that would help the feel of it a lot.

5. iplayallday

Jul 11, 2012
    Well.. I'm going after the "piked somersault" that's why she doesn't tuck the leg. Reason being is that we want to move more gracefully instead of action-y.
    The animation and timing was based on this..

But maybe players expect movement that are more action oriented

6. Fish alan

Fish alan Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I see. That makes sense. And, given that, I think that a slight speed up of the animation could do the trick. Seeing what you are going for makes this make more sense.

7. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Animation looks nice. Cannot see any issues with my coder eyes :)

8. iplayallday

Jul 11, 2012
    Yeah.. but I can't really keep explaining to players that this is what the animation supposed to be :) First impression is important after all. Maybe I'm overthinking it but one of my own pet peeves in games is animation, if it doesn't look right it really turn me off. That's why I was afraid about this particular animation

9. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    The animation looks accurate, but only if you reference it to a human on a trampoline. Without the extra bounce it's really hard, if possible at all, to do a sommersault with your legs straight. It's easier to rotate the body if you pull your legs close to the torso. Also, the rotation pivot is closer to the visual center of the body's silhouette. I'd try to go with that. Perhaps even more than one full rotation.
    If all that fails - aim for cool, not realistic.